Tonight's the Night

BallochBear

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't hear it but it seems like the usual crap. Sounds to me like it was better to have someone putting our point of view than not.

Only benefit on not putting anyone forward would be if it was recognised by the programme makers that Rangers fans organisations had refused to take part as they dd not believe they would get a fair and balanced hearing based on past experieince. Unfortunately they were never going to do that.

Didn't hear it but it seems like the usual crap. Sounds to me like it was better to have someone putting our point of view than not.

I thought this thread had demonstrated that the reverse was the case.

Given that it was just a hatchet-job, that would have come across to English listeners if none of us had co-operated at all.

Should any supporters groups have taken part, their membership would undoubtedly have been spitting feathers at their gullibility in co-operating with Spiers.

Only benefit on not putting anyone forward would be if it was recognised by the programme makers that Rangers fans organisations had refused to take part as they dd not believe they would get a fair and balanced hearing based on past experieince. Unfortunately they were never going to do that.

It would only have made any sense if a statement was read out about why Rangers fans were not taking part and it doesn't sound like that was going to happen.

What radio station is this on?

It was The World Tonight on Radio4.

It will be available to listen to again on BBCi.

This is the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

Thanks Coop

I got it

Link -> http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00g2...ght_26_12_2008/

25 minutes in

Just listened to the programme there, wasnt to happy with some of it loved other bits.

A felt Spiers was trying to lay the blame all on us.

Why where Rangers supporters on having to defend ourselfs when no Celtic supporters where on defending their songs etc.?

The piece towards the end when the Rangers minister,and that tim Rielly where on was good, the Rangers man came across calm,collected and in control.

While you could here the hatred in Rielly,s voice and IMO he came over as being a very bitter man.

The girl interviewing them let the minister talk but keep on interupting or cutting Rielly short,and made him sound pathetic,good lass.

Having listened to these tims over a long period of time all they ever bring up is, what was[e.g Rangers past signing policy],they never want to talk about the here and now,Rielly was at this tonight,Rangers have been signing catholics from all over the world for the past 20yrs WE DONT HAVE A SECTARIAN SINGING POLICY,will they not wake up and smell the coffee, they only believe what they want to believe,like their religion its full of myths, legends,lies and untruths.

They are the one who want to keep bigotory going,until they are prepared to back down on certain issues like schooling it will never change,I could go on but I wont as am sure your getting bored.

Just listened to the programme there, wasnt to happy with some of it loved other bits.

Why where Rangers supporters on having to defend ourselfs when no Celtic supporters where on defending their songs etc.?

The piece towards the end when the Rangers minister,and that tim Rielly where on was good, the Rangers man came across calm,collected and in control.

While you could here the hatred in Rielly,s voice and IMO he came over as being a very bitter man.

The girl interviewing them let the minister talk but keep on interupting or cutting Rielly short,and made him sound pathetic,good lass.

Having listened to these tims over a long period of time all they ever bring up is, what was[e.g Rangers past signing policy],they never want to talk about the here and now,Rielly was at this tonight,Rangers have been signing catholics from all over the world for the past 20yrs WE DONT HAVE A SECTARIAN SINGING POLICY,will they not wake up and smell the coffee, they only believe what they want to believe,like their religion its full of myths, legends,lies and untruths.

They are the one who want to keep bigotory going,until they are prepared to back down on certain issues like schooling it will never change,I could go on but I wont as am sure your getting bored.

Excellent post, mate. (tu)

Typical Spiers, didn't expect him to be impartial or neutral and no surprises, he wasn't.

That professor is one bitter twisted tim. If Scotland is that bad, why doesn't he (no I won't go there).

Totally agree with Fudgie, they use history when it suits them, and that political get out clause is bullshit.

If Reilly is using history to tarnish us, then the same history could tarnish them as a club of paedophiles set up by a church that throughout its history has been continually involved in genocide and the physical abuse of children.

Usual anti Rangers bile.

Findlay takes a 'forensic' view?

She 'forensically' thinks that it's OK for them to offend us but horrible for us to offend them.

The madly two faced Findlay also said that if a song which offends on grounds of race or religion then that is wrong. Everything else should not be a matter of public policy.

Aye? Well, I want to know why it's apparently ok for those greetin' faced hypocrites to tear the head of OUR religion to pieces - HRH The Queen - but cry as if mortally wounded if we dish it out to their pope?

Her condemnation of those who wont offer the same respect that Italians, Polish, Asian and others enjoy in Scotland, mysteriously misses the salient point: none of those who she identified as being afforded respect wilfully attack and disrespect our icons and institutions at every opportunity.

It speaks volumes that Britney suggests her approach is 'forensic' whilst he laughably and ineptly fails to acknowledge that law and justice demands an even handed approach. She seems blissfully unaware of her own double standards and Britney is too busy accommodating them to notice, let alone apply his journalistic skills to challenge the hypocrisy.

If that was intended as a carve up to shame Rangers - then they have failed miserably by being so ridiculously one sided as to substantially discredit their own arguments.

Or, in short: Spiers and Findlay were crap. And it showed.

Usual anti Rangers bile.

She 'forensically' thinks that it's OK for them to offend us but horrible for us to offend them.

The madly two faced Findlay also said that if a song which offends on grounds of race or religion then that is wrong. Everything else should not be a matter of public policy.

Aye? Well, I want to know why it's apparently ok for those greetin' faced hypocrites to tear the head of OUR religion to pieces - HRH The Queen - but cry as if mortally wounded if we dish it out to their pope?

Her condemnation of those who wont offer the same respect that Italians, Polish, Asian and others enjoy in Scotland, mysteriously misses the salient point: none of those who she identified as being afforded respect wilfully attack and disrespect our icons and institutions at every opportunity.

It speaks volumes that Britney suggests her approach is 'forensic' whilst he laughably and ineptly fails to acknowledge that law and justice demands an even handed approach. She seems blissfully unaware of her own double standards and Britney is too busy accommodating them to notice, let alone apply his journalistic skills to challenge the hypocrisy.

If that was intended as a carve up to shame Rangers - then they have failed miserably by being so ridiculously one sided as to substantially discredit their own arguments.

Excellent post Moses (tu)

The programme was in itself deeply flawed, but Balloch Bear and his mates seemed to put their points across in a common sense, straightforward and polite way that was a credit to Rangers. The unbiased and uninvolved listener will not have been left with any bad impression of Rangers and our support, but will undoubtedly see the closed minds of the tims involved as clear evidence of sellicks continued "victimism" (if that's even a word?), along with Spiers dodgy logic pointing toward his own very clear agenda.

Give the average listener some credit.

Usual anti Rangers bile.

Good post.

And regardless of the IRA/ political or sectarian argument she can't deny that 'orange bastards' is a sectarian insult and as you point out attacking HRH is the same.

Usual anti Rangers bile.

Good post.

And regardless of the IRA/ political or sectarian argument she can't deny that 'orange bastards' is a sectarian insult and as you point out attacking HRH is the same.

Could "attacking" HRH even verbally be considered treason?

Usual anti Rangers bile.

Can anyone explain what "forensic view" means other than another word for biased in this context. If my thought process is correct GS was actually saying that Janette Findlay's comments were not impartial.

I particularly like the lie that "The Bouncy" was about bouncing on someones head in an event which had yet to happen.

They tried the same with The Hokey Cokey and were all sat on the edge of their seats waiting to be offended by it and no-one sung it.

That must have been a great disappointment to Kearney, Spiers, The Bishop et al.......

Usual anti Rangers bile.

Can anyone explain what "forensic view" means other than another word for biased in this context. If my thought process is correct GS was actually saying that Janette Findlay's comments were not impartial.

He just means she is examining the issue with scientific precision and depth to make her conclusions. In other words she is more intelligent than Rangers fans - whom he often refers to as cranks or an underbelly of society.

It is clear the picture he is trying to paint. Celtic fan = intelligent and morally correct. Rangers fan = can't spell and is backward.

Err just listened to the article - Thought BB did OK in getting his points across and IF you were a neutral what would have come across was how loaded and biased the program was. The 'paid' tims came across as far more bigoted and intrangient than BB did.

I have to laugh at some of the shit being posted against balloch Bear - some real sanctimonious (spelling) gits on here with their 'I told you so lines' Hindsight' strategists !!(HSS) Every thing is easy in hindsight. Nothing positive from the HSS just a go at anyone who tries!

The reality is Scottish presbyterians can not become monarch because they are not Anglicans so why all the fuss about RC's. They form less than 15% of the Scottish population yet they seem to call all the shots. No political party needs their support yet they all go Kow Towing to them whilst the wishes of the silent majority are ignored. As has been said i am answerable to no one barr my conscience and ultimately when I shake off this mortal coil God(on a holy day :-). Roman Catholics have to follow the teachings of the infallablle one in Rome. Tony Blair went to the Vatican on the eve of the invasion of Iraq was this to get the go ahead for the 21st century crusade. Again as has been said they want to drop the Act of Settlement to allow RC's to become monarch yet the won't let Protestants teach in RC schools without a letter form a Priest and as for promotion for non RC teachers, in RC schools forget it. The monarchy is percieved as an irrelevance which does not affect the common man on the street yet non RC are being descriminated against in our eductaion system never mind our local authorities when was the last non RC Provost of Glasgow. If our politicians want to tackle sectarianism they have to first look at the political system and parties themselves, then they can look at eductaion and then once they have got their own house in order we might start to take them seriously.

Err just listened to the article - Thought BB did OK in getting his points across and IF you were a neutral what would have come across was how loaded and biased the program was. The 'paid' tims came across as far more bigoted and intrangient than BB did.

That bit I agree with.

I have to laugh at some of the shit being posted against balloch Bear - some real sanctimonious (spelling) gits on here with their 'I told you so lines' Hindsight' strategists !!(HSS) Every thing is easy in hindsight. Nothing positive from the HSS just a go at anyone who tries!
doh

You must be fishing. :rolleyes:

How can it be "hindsight" if we "told [him] so"?