Coisty on Aaron and his chances of playing

Boab

is Ally picking the Scottish cup team again this season, Tuesdays team selection may be interesting if he does..

I was just about to mention that he may play on Tuesday, since there are no points to lose.

If Ally's picking the team, then that increases the chances. If he does well, he might get called from the bench more often. If he lives up to the hype, then he could be very useful indeed.

It would be great to see him play on Tuesday but I think it will be Smith who will choose the team which means Adam and McCulloch are more likely to play than Aaron

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't get my head around the "He's the best player for the position but we can't play him in case we lose" bit.

It's absolutely baffling.

I dont think it is that daft tbh mate,

"he's probably the most natural for that position."

That is pretty much self explanatory IMO...

Hes not saying he is the best option just he is our most natural left winger.

An example of what i mean is RM...Burke was our most natural right winger but that doesnt mean he is the best suited to play that position...LB Smith is probably our most "natural" LB but that doesnt mean he is the best suited either!

I honestly dont think it would do him any favours to be flung in for 90mins against teams, sure he might run at players stuff like that but if players like Beasley, McCulloch, Adam, Lafferty etc all more experienced players look very average and really not supported by the team then how is this young lad expected to come in.

McCoist has everything to lose coming out and saying stuff like that and the message im picking up is that he would LIKE to play the younger boys but someone else wouldnt...no guesses needed!

The left midfield conundrum is one of the main reasons we're 5 points behind Celtic. The fact the management still consider Aaron too young to start games despite admitting he's the most natural left winger at the club is worrying.

On what grounds does he deserve to play though...

Because hes a youngster from Valencia, plays in spains under teams etc...

Ive seen him play in a fair amount of reserve games and bar 1 or 2 hes not been anything but average. He done well against Hamilton in the 15mins he was on but Accies were dead and buried.

I think that a lot of people on here think that because hes from a big team and is a good prospect he should play. Shinnie, Fleck and Loy have all played much better than him for a longer period of time in the reserves yet people arent asking them to play every week!

It all boils down to Smith, IMO hes looked at the LM position and thought i dont want to risk a young boy and would rather play a more experienced player. Smith doesnt have the confidence in him to play and i dont think thats any fault of Aarons Smith has proved time and again he doesnt like playing younger players!

Can't get my head around the "He's the best player for the position but we can't play him in case we lose" bit.

An example of what i mean is RM...Burke was our most natural right winger but that doesnt mean he is the best suited to play that position...LB Smith is probably our most "natural" LB but that doesnt mean he is the best suited either!

I honestly dont think it would do him any favours to be flung in for 90mins against teams, sure he might run at players stuff like that but if players like Beasley, McCulloch, Adam, Lafferty etc all more experienced players look very average and really not supported by the team then how is this young lad expected to come in.

McCoist has everything to lose coming out and saying stuff like that and the message im picking up is that he would LIKE to play the younger boys but someone else wouldnt...no guesses needed!

The left midfield conundrum is one of the main reasons we're 5 points behind Celtic. The fact the management still consider Aaron too young to start games despite admitting he's the most natural left winger at the club is worrying.

Ive seen him play in a fair amount of reserve games and bar 1 or 2 hes not been anything but average. He done well against Hamilton in the 15mins he was on but Accies were dead and buried.

I think that a lot of people on here think that because hes from a big team and is a good prospect he should play. Shinnie, Fleck and Loy have all played much better than him for a longer period of time in the reserves yet people arent asking them to play every week!

It all boils down to Smith, IMO hes looked at the LM position and thought i dont want to risk a young boy and would rather play a more experienced player. Smith doesnt have the confidence in him to play and i dont think thats any fault of Aarons Smith has proved time and again he doesnt like playing younger players!

He can't be any worse than what we've already tried.

He hasn't done anything wrong in the short time he's had.

He's already played at a higher level than the SPL.

He's a current pick for Spain U-21 side.

It's really easy to say 'He's not done anything at Rangers yet to merit a start', but what do you expect him to do when Ally's openly admitting that he's not playing because he's not old enough, yet good enough?

It's ridiculous.

These guys should merit a start some time!

I must admit, I've never seen him stand out reserve matches. Valencia obviously didn't think he was near their first team, letting him go for two years. He may be a player who performs best in top team action and I'd like to see him tried, but we shouldn't assume he'll be a world beater.

I'm not sure who Del's referring to, but I've lost count of how many people wanted Fleck to get a game. After his wondergoal v the scum in the youth cup final, the calls for him to play never really went away.

Shinnie and Loy also recieved similar treatment after their countless number of goals in the reserves.

I'd say that only thing that Aaron has over the two Scottish lads is that he's played at a higher level than both and continues to do so in the U-21 side, which as we all (should) know is a big deal down Espana way.

It's really easy to say 'He's not done anything at Rangers yet to merit a start', but what do you expect him to do when Ally's openly admitting that he's not playing because he's not old enough, yet good enough?

It's ridiculous.

In all the stuff ive read that McCoist said i cant see any mention of him not playing due to his age...

Where has he played at a higher level than the SPL? You cant seriously be meaning the 30mins he got as a sub in a meaningless champions league game for Valencia?!

Fair enough hes played in the unders for spain which is pretty competative but there is a list a mile long of player who done well at youth level and have done nothing with there career. Aaron has only played once for u-21s so we cant really say hes a regular but he was for u-17 and u-19s.

The only reason its easy to say 'He's not done anything at Rangers yet to merit a start', is because its the truth. If he had been playing amazing in the reserves then aye maybe give him 15mins at the end of a game but as i have already said there are a number of younger player that deserve a chance before him and he shouldnt be front of the queue because hes foreign!

I'm not sure who Del's referring to, but I've lost count of how many people wanted Fleck to get a game. After his wondergoal v the scum in the youth cup final, the calls for him to play never really went away.

Shinnie and Loy also recieved similar treatment after their countless number of goals in the reserves.

I'd say that only thing that Aaron has over the two Scottish lads is that he's played at a higher level than both and continues to do so in the U-21 side, which as we all (should) know is a big deal down Espana way.

All i meant with that is every week in the match threads you get people saying Aaron should start when there are other players more deserving of a start than him but for whatever reason they never get a mention!

It's ridiculous.

In all the stuff ive read that McCoist said i cant see any mention of him not playing due to his age...

Where has he played at a higher level than the SPL? You cant seriously be meaning the 30mins he got as a sub in a meaningless champions league game for Valencia?!

The only reason its easy to say 'He's not done anything at Rangers yet to merit a start', is because its the truth. If he had been playing amazing in the reserves then aye maybe give him 15mins at the end of a game but as i have already said there are a number of younger player that deserve a chance before him and he shouldnt be front of the queue because hes foreign!

Cant agree with you there

People are calling for him to be in the team because he plays LW and we have problems there

We are saying that he cant be worse than Adam Lafferty and Beasley this season

Its not because he is foreign although he does have a good reputation, its because we want to see someone else at LW than the aforementioned and he has the qualities we have lacked this season eg skill , pace and good at crossing

It's ridiculous.

Fair enough hes played in the unders for spain which is pretty competative but there is a list a mile long of player who done well at youth level and have done nothing with there career. Aaron has only played once for u-21s so we cant really say hes a regular but he was for u-17 and u-19s.

He said it would be 'unfair on the lad' to give him a game.

What's the reason for that, notwithstanding the age factor?

All i meant with that is every week in the match threads you get people saying Aaron should start when there are other players more deserving of a start than him but for whatever reason they never get a mention!

Who?

Shinnie, Loy, Lennon, Fleck, Efrem and McMillan? That's it for the REAL standouts at youth level, and they all get similar requests.

I dont have a problem playing him but our manager has not and will not ever give relatively unrpoven guys like him a chance!

Some manager rely on young players to keep the team fresh and feed off the "ignorance of youth" but Smith just isnt one of those guys...

Ive seen him play and aye he is decent with the ball at his feet but at times he just doesnt seem up for it and he wont go in for a 80-20 ball never mind a 50-50!

I hope he gets a chance on Tuesday but i just wish people would stop going on about him as if hes the next David Silva or that because if he was THAT good he wouldnt be at Rangers!

It's ridiculous.

He said it would be 'unfair on the lad' to give him a game.

What's the reason for that, notwithstanding the age factor?

Maybe the fact that all the club football he has played in his career he never had to deal with the pressure of HAVING to win week in week out, that he doesnt have the character to deal with things not going his way...

Lets face it weve seen him on tv, on youtube maybe at reserve games but Smith and co work with him every day...its one thing us making sweeping assumptions but they know Aaron as a player and person a lot more than an of us do.

That aside the simple fact is Smith wont play young players! Look at his last spell in charge, look at his time at Everton hes just not that man!

I personally think Aaron is a great wee player , but he will never reach his highest potential unless he is given regular first team football , he is definatley one for the future but if we dont give him the opportunity's that he needs then we will lose him like so meny other young players that had great futures ahed of them

Who?

Shinnie, Loy, Lennon, Fleck, Efrem and McMillan? That's it for the REAL standouts at youth level, and they all get similar requests.

Dont kid yourself mate...

There may have been a few people calling for McMillan to get a game and asking about Efrem but Aaron and fleck are the only ones who are constantly listed to play in people line-ups even Fleck recently hasnt been spoken of as much as he used to.

IMO the reason people dont ask for these players is because they dont know much about them...

Fleck is well known in that hes been in the news on Rangerstv and has been the subject of many debates on here as has Aaron but really we know very little about these players!

There are a few lads on here that keep some sort of tabs on reserve and bounce games but the majority of people dont.

Who?

There may have been a few people calling for McMillan to get a game and asking about Efrem but Aaron and fleck are the only ones who are constantly listed to play in people line-ups even Fleck recently hasnt been spoken of as much as he used to.

IMO the reason people dont ask for these players is because they dont know much about them...

Fleck is well known in that hes been in the news on Rangerstv and has been the subject of many debates on here as has Aaron but really we know very little about these players!

There are a few lads on here that keep some sort of tabs on reserve and bounce games but the majority of people dont.

But we will never know much about them if they never play . and to pay wages to players who are never going to play is the reason our club is in the state it is

How many players don't stand out in reserve games though?

Gow and Buffel last year, perhaps?

Maybe he's just not impressing. We don't see what happens in training and every reserve/bounce games.

In the games ive seen him in hes been very good in 2 and average in the rest...a couple of good moments in a game but definitely not a stand out!

Other factors come into it though, fitness, motivation, not just of Aaron but the player around him, attitude etc

I really hope he gets more games and does well and he becomes a club legend but with the current manager i cant see him getting any more than 10 games in the 2 years he will be here!

Who?

But we will never know much about them if they never play . and to pay wages to players who are never going to play is the reason our club is in the state it is

My point was if people dont know much about him as a player then why are they saying he should start every game and be given time in matches when IMO theyre are a few players in front of him that are more deserving of that chance.

I don't know how he played in the Secunda but he had better games than poor games in the Super League whilst at Iraklis, a league which is better than the SPL!

He struggled on a few occassions, especially when up against Vasilis Torosidis and Loukas Vyntra(he never got past him once) but he did well against Galitsios, Dabizas and Georgeas - he was the top player at the U-19 and absolutely took the piss out of Boukouvalas and Mitroglou in the final. Both France and Portugal struggled to keep him quiet and in the recent under 21 match he played the full 90 and was one of the better Spanish performers.

His performances in the Rangers reserves have been either been a hit or a miss and in the recent bounce matches, he's played pretty well(going by reports and word of mouth) and Tommy Wilson has praised him on a few occassions.

Charlie Adam and Kyle Lafferty performances in the reserves have been poor at times, yet they keeps on getting the chances and the same goes for Beasley. Adam has been horrendous in SPL matches yet Smith still sticks with him, even when he's ill.

Jordan McMillan has been performing well and he's not been given a sniff, the same could be said for John Fleck but he's been out injured.

Walter Smith would rather play players like Lee McCulloch and Charlie Adam than give Aaron a run-out, players who have been pish this and last season.

There have been plenty times to throw Aaron on and Smith has not done it - especially when we have been a few goals uop and in total control.

My point was if people dont know much about him as a player then why are they saying he should start every game and be given time in matches when IMO theyre are a few players in front of him that are more deserving of that chance.

I dont think he deserves a start i think that he needs to be broke in 10 minutes here 10 minutes there and if he proves himself then he should get longer , the thing that gets me mad is why loan somebody to play in the reserves <cr> its almost as bad as buying someone like velicka for 1 million and only playing him once in a season <cr> any other manager doing these kind of things would be sacked

Because he's bringing something exciting to the fans of our club! Whether he proves it or not, the prospect of a European flair player at Rangers is something that everyone has been crying out for since Dick left!