Kris Boyd or Fernando Torres

WHAT a signing it would be if Rangers could get Fernando Torres from Liverpool.

One of the best footballers in the world at Ibrox.

His touch. His vision. His workrate. All skills the boy has which put him up there with the very best in the business.

But here’s the thing.

Fernando Torres would look the part in a Rangers shirt.

Fernando Torres would bring the supporters off their backsides and to their feet.

Fernando Torres would take the ball on his chest, drop his shoulder and go past SPL defenders like they weren’t even there.

Despite that Torres would still not give the team the one thing Kris Boyd does. And that’s GOALS. Buckets of them.

I’ve said it before in these pages and been laughed at.

But as prolific goalscorers go in the SPL there is no one better than the Rangers No9.

Before the Old Firm game I compared his finishing favourably to the great Henrik Larsson.

That day Boyd nailed me by missing the chance to win the game. Let me down, he did.

But I stand by what I said then and I’ll go even further now.

Honestly, if I was Rangers boss I wouldn’t swap him for the man who wears the same numbered jersey at Anfield.

Where Torres would promise you 35 goals a season Boyd GUARANTEES them. That’s it in a nutshell.

He does the hardest thing in football and he does it consistently. Week in, week out. The argument his critics make is that he doesn’t do it against the top teams in the big games.

His missed THAT chance against Celtic and couldn’t even get a game in Europe last season.

Fair comment. I understand where people are coming from.

I DON’T think Boyd is a top-class footballer. He’s not on the same level as the lads in the English Premier league.

Yet whenever he pulls on a light blue jersey he still comes up with the goods.

Against Hibs. Against Hamilton Accies. Against Motherwell. Teams like that.

If Rangers are drawing 0-0 with these teams with ten minutes to go chances are Boyd will pop up with a goal out of nothing to win the game.

That’s what wins you league titles. That’s what gets you into the Champions League. I find it amazing Rangers were willing to lose that from their team.

Kenny Miller is a player and a lad I like but he’s not capable of filling the void. Kyle Lafferty? Don’t make me laugh.

No, Sir David Murray might be sitting cursing Boyd this morning for knocking back the terms on offer from Birmingham.

But he might look back on it in time and consider it a huge blessing in disguise.

Boyd himself is completely right to reject the move if he isn’t 100 per cent happy with it.

He’s on 92 Rangers goals so why the hell should be walk away now? Eight more and he’s a club legend. What I can guarantee is he’ll be devastated by the goings-on of the past week.

The same goes for Barry Ferguson. If anyone mentions the name Rangers to me I immediately think of the captain.

He must be totally gutted at the realisation that he’s not the untouchable player he maybe thought he was.

He’s already been through this situation in the past and gone on record as saying he should never have joined Blackburn Rovers.

So he’ll not be overly excited at the idea of moving again. In fact, he’ll be devastated by it if you ask me.

His pride will have taken a massive dent that’s for sure.

For me, though, he is still a hugely influential player. He’s not been back to his best since returning to the team from the ankle injury he had.

But I think Barry can still be a major part of things to come at Rangers IF they don’t flog him to the highest bidder.

That’s a very big ‘if’ right enough because at this moment in time it looks like they’ll sell anyone to make ends meet.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...icle2116377.ece

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a strange way its true, but in another way its one of the mosrediculous things i have ever heard. Boyds goalscoring record is second to none, but you cant compare boyd to torres it just doesnt make sense. Boyd will never play the level of football that torres doesand torres will probably never have the goalscoring record boyd does

Fernando Torres would score for fun in the SPL - infact it would be embarrassing watching him take apart every defence and putting the ball in ther back of the net!

Totally ridiculous. I don't even know where to start. The article densely eats itself up and inturn spews up a hyperbole ridden mess.

It's that bad it doesnt even deserve any sort of serious critique, so i'll be pedantic - Fernando Torres would score around 70 goals if he were to play a seasons worth of SPL football.

Totally ridiculous. I don't even know where to start. The article densely eats itself up and inturn spews up a hyperbole ridden mess.

It's that bad it doesnt even deserve any sort of serious critique, so i'll be pedantic - Fernando Torres would score around 70 goals if he were to play a seasons worth of SPL football.

70 isn't a bad estimation. didn't he score 30+ goals last season for liverpool. that has to be one of the most rediculous articles ever to find itself in any newspaper

70 isn't a bad estimation. didn't he score 30+ goals last season for liverpool. that has to be one of the most rediculous articles ever to find itself in any newspaper

Marco Negri had nearly 40 goals by December when he came to the SPL so God knows how many a Spanish Legend like Fernando Torres would have.

Marco Negri had nearly 40 goals by December when he came to the SPL so God knows how many a Spanish Legend like Fernando Torres would have.

32 in the first four months, but big shame about him, i knew he was injured but i forgot how, just read "eye injury after playing squash with Sergio Porrini" doh:lol:

Fernando Torres would score for fun in the SPL - infact it would be embarrassing watching him take apart every defence and putting the ball in ther back of the net!

Were we not linked with Torres during the Advocaat years, he was recomended by Arteta?

Were we not linked with Torres during the Advocaat years, he was recomended by Arteta?

mcleish signed arteta so no idea why arteta would be recommending Torres to advocaat!

mcleish signed arteta so no idea why arteta would be recommending Torres to advocaat!

dont know about torres but we were definetly interested in Eto'o when he was at real mallorca but Mcleish said he wasnt a "priority signing" and we didnt end up going for him in the end and he went to barca for £24m 18months later doh