Walter Smith

nvager

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Win or lose the SPL do you want Walter to carry on managing Rangers next season?

Give a reasoned answer and conclude with a definite yes or no.

My opinion is that he should not continue even if we win the league. He has made far too many poor buys; plays too many players out of position; slow to give youth a chance; kept faith too long in Adam, McCulloch, Daily, etc; will not play players for no good reason - Edu, Aaron, Hemdani, Gow, Buffel, etc.- and hates wingers. Kaunas was enough to get anyone fired in my opinion.

So what do you all think? We are only 2 points behind so he has got us back into things. Deserves another season? I say No but you are all free to make your case.

No, as I have always said. I also still think he gets to the end of the season. With the title in the bag, its the perfect time for a new manager, because, the pressure is off. They wont be criticised purely down to the £tims going for 4 in a row" and things like that, which is driving a lot of us mad. We will be champs, clean slate, and we can thank him for bringing the title back, and he can leave on a high.

Simple :cheers:

(tu)

The difficulty with this is, "Who do we get to replace him?", I don't think his signings have been too bad actually, Dailly and Weir for example were/are a stop gap, Dailly will be allowed to leave this January if he can find a new club, and Weir shouldn't have a contract extension and lets be honest he used his experience to give us a bit solidity at the back when we were leaking goals left right and centre.

Complaints about Lafferty and Edu being signed, and Velicka to a certain extent, but at the beginning of the season we knew Cousin wanted to go, you couldn't gaurantee that JCD would be fit enough for every game, and it didn't look as if Boyd would even be here, so that would have been three strikers down. There is also a big gap between our more senior players and our decent youth players in midfield so there had to be some brought in as a go between and for the future when players like Mendes and Ferguson retire, those such as KT, Davis and Edu will become those "senior" players.

McCulloch initially started quite well for us, but he never seemed to find the same form following his return from injury, Adam is an annoying character because the guy does have talent, just very sporadic, and again the problem is he could be better in the centre of midfield but he is never going to displace Ferguson or Mendes.

As for not giving youth a chance, well yeah ok, maybe they're not youth, but the only players over 25 I think are McGregor (goalies are traditionally better older), Ferguson, Mendes, Weir, Miller and Papac, the rest I think are 25 and under, now to me that isn't that old, you can't have a team full of youngsters you need a balance, and as for those around Fleck's age, or Aaron's age, we don't see them in training we only see them in the under 19s and reserve matches none of us know how they could/would cope at the senior level and you might argue we'll never know unless they're given a chance. That's fine, then play them against Forfar in the Scottish Cup, we might have some idea then of their true potential, but throw them in league games could be too big a risk, and thank God I'm not a manager having to make that sort of decision.

As to the original question, when we win the league this season then Walter remains for the rest of his contract, if we don't then not only Walter should leave but his backroom staff also.

No, he could win the treble and I'd still want him gone, I wanted him gone last season and I wanted him hung after the Kaunas shambles. When he steps down as manager, I want him gone from the club altoghether. A move 'upstairs' is not where Walter should go - I'd hate for our new manager to ask for advise from Smith, I'd hate him having an input into things, suggesting players, having a go at the fans....

When he goes(hopefully at the end of the season)then McCoist, McDowall and Durrant go with him. Time to get away from the'Rangers men'.

I'm fed up of a management team who continually play players out of position, cannot get the players up for games at times, struggle to out think and out match opposition managers, have no plan B, cannot bring any level of consistency, sign and play mediocre rubbish, a lop sided squad lacking in various positions, have their favourites who will always play and never be dropped no matter how awful they are for a number of games - Kenny Miller and Barry Ferguson are a perfect example, a bunch of players who can't even do the basics at times, even after the management team have come out in numerous occassions over the years saying it will be addressed....Walter Smith's time is up, it has been for a long time now.

I want Smith to stay for the full length of his contract. Too many managers aren't given enough time in the job these days, which results in the kind of shambles we were in under PLG. As has been said earlier in the thread, progress is being made, albeit at a slower pace than we'd all prefer. Bringing in another manager now, or promoting McCoist, would simply wipe away that progress at a single stroke.

I can't think of any other club in a similar league and financial position that would even consider getting rid of a manager who has only been in the job for 2yrs and has taken the club from the depths of despair under Le Guen to within a hairs-breadth of an historic Quadruple in that time.

Walter Smith is building a side full of potential here, and should be given the time to finish the rebuilding job he started.

No, he could win the treble and I'd still want him gone, I wanted him gone last season and I wanted him hung after the Kaunas shambles. When he steps down as manager, I want him gone from the club altoghether. A move 'upstairs' is not where Walter should go - I'd hate for our new manager to ask for advise from Smith, I'd hate him having an input into things, suggesting players, having a go at the fans....

When he goes(hopefully at the end of the season)then McCoist, McDowall and Durrant go with him. Time to get away from the'Rangers men'.

I'm fed up of a management team who continually play players out of position, cannot get the players up for games at times, struggle to out think and out match opposition managers, have no plan B, cannot bring any level of consistency, sign and play mediocre rubbish, a lop sided squad lacking in various positions, have their favourites who will always play and never be dropped no matter how awful they are for a number of games - Kenny Miller and Barry Ferguson are a perfect example, a bunch of players who can't even do the basics at times, even after the management team have come out in numerous occassions over the years saying it will be addressed....Walter Smith's time is up, it has been for a long time now.

So if Walter wins the treble his way you would still prefer another manager who could lose the league but played in a style you want to see……?

Walter has been in charge now for the best part of 2 years, during which time he has spend a whopping £30m (give or take a few quid). My question is this…..

What exactly do we have to show for his efforts and huge spending? (apart from the huge debts of course)..

I mean we have a huge squad, massive wage bill and yet our starting 11 is probably no better off (man for man) than it was the day he took charge. Yes you can say we won both and we had the run in Europe but even that should be forgotten IMO, the way we just lay down in the final was pathetic and not worth remembering.

Had Walter been any other manager I dare say he would have already been shown the door and to answer your original question, should he fail to win the title then I’m afraid his time is up!!

So if Walter wins the treble his way you would still prefer another manager who could lose the league but played in a style you want to see……?

Yes (tu)

For all the points above and more - Walter Smith is a dinosaur!

Walter Smith get's away far too lightly with the supporters and media - had this been any other manager they'd be getting it tight by now, by a lot of supporters.

Yes (tu)

Walter Smith get's away far too lightly with the supporters and media - had this been any other manager they'd be getting it tight by now, by a lot of supporters.

So you would put your personal enjoyment before the success of the team….strange…..each to there own I guess…..

Surely after 3 years without winning the league how we get over the line isn’t massively important…..

Yes (tu)

So you would put your personal enjoyment before the success of the team….strange…..each to there own I guess…..

Surely after 3 years without winning the league how we get over the line isn’t massively important…..

Absolutely no chance of us winning the treble, infact I don't think we have what it takes to win the league, unless celtc go on a horrendous run, which I can't see - would also mean us going on some sort of run which isn't going to happen.

Walter Smith should have gone last season, he'll cost us the league this season, like he did last season and I'll continue to stick by that.

He should have been sacked after getting us to a uefa cup final and winning two cups? Crazy talk…..

Whether you believe we will do it or not, you seem to be saying you would rather not be winning and playing better football under someone else than winning under Smith…..is that fair to say?

I just don't want Walter Smith incharge. I'd rather take the chance of someone new than Walter Smith being here next season, even if we won the treble(which wont happen)

His time is up.

I just don't want Walter Smith incharge. I'd rather take the chance of someone new than Walter Smith being here next season, even if we won the treble(which wont happen)

His time is up.

How can someones time be up that wins a treble (or even just the league) ?

you and me both know if wither happen the only way Walter will be going anywhere is if he chooses to....

no

just because aberdeen done us a favour at the weekend doesn't cover up the fact that we are trailing the league to the poorest celtic side i have seen in a long time, also his unwillingness to give youth a chance at ibrox prefering to stick by his old faithfuls.

People are getting far too carried away after a celtc slip up - what happened the last time celtc slipped up, a lot on here thought we'd take them to the cleaners, even prediction ridiculous scores. Instead we got beat at Ibrox by a bloody awful celtc team.

We are playing awful, we have no consistancy and the players and management have let us down far too many times this season. There are no signs of us stepping up our performances and going on a winning run.

I fully expect the players to let us down on Saturday once again.

His time is up.

You don't even have to look far to see how ridiculous that question is. Just look at Alex McLeish after Helicopter Sunday for one example.

His time is up.

you and me both know if wither happen the only way Walter will be going anywhere is if he chooses to....

Get the blinkers off.

Nope, time for him to go.

We need someone who isn't afraid to throw (highly talented) youth in at the deep end and someone who doesn't pick a team based on his favourites and/or reputations.

... but imagine the cry after throwing the youth in if we got beat or were sitting 4th in the league - would you support the manager then - I can just here the crying, "Why are we playing these untested youngsters when we have all these experienced players in the squad". People advocating this big push for youth also seem to be those who have no patience with the manager - if he plays lots of youth are you willing to give any manager 3 years to build a team with them? - I think not!

His time is up.

You don't even have to look far to see how ridiculous that question is. Just look at Alex McLeish after Helicopter Sunday for one example.

You want to see a manager sacked that wins the league and i am ridiculous....... :unsure:

His time is up.

Get the blinkers off.

Explain ?

People are getting far too carried away after a celtc slip up - what happened the last time celtc slipped up, a lot on here thought we'd take them to the cleaners, even prediction ridiculous scores. Instead we got beat at Ibrox by a bloody awful celtc team.

We are playing awful, we have no consistancy and the players and management have let us down far too many times this season. There are no signs of us stepping up our performances and going on a winning run.

I fully expect the players to let us down on Saturday once again.

Yep we should all immediately presume the worse because you do, feck that attempting to be positive stuff…..

Has to go regardless.

Terrible signings for the most part, squad highly imbalanced which is hard considering there used to be 28 senior pros. Tactically clueless, won't pick the team on merit, is more concerned with not getting beat than actually winning. Reluctance to use flair players, wide players, young players. The waste of money on players who will not play has been scandalous.

Should take the lions share of the blame for our current predicament.

Oh and we have been absolutely dire to watch for the most part since he came back, not so much let me entertain you as let me bore you to sleep.

Smiths perfect team is 1GK 4CB 4CM 1 striker who can't score but runs and 1 striker who scores but can't run.