Next youngster to Step up?

Bobby83

to be honest i'm not convinced even Fleck'l play regularly. Smithasaurus is the anti-youth, mcculloch or adam'l will start more games between now and the end of the season than the wee man IMO.

to be honest i'm not convinced even Fleck'l play regularly. Smithasaurus is the anti-youth, mcculloch or adam'l will start more games between now and the end of the season than the wee man IMO.

Hopefully Naismith and Fleck and Lafferty will combine to shut out those two.

Smudge doesn't have any option in the matter. SDM has closed his purse, the youth must get a chance. It's up to us to get behind the youngsters, support & encourage them.

With the reports I've read & little footage on RFC TV, wee Jamie sounds a good shout for coming through next.

Worry thought, whats more worrying is that your probably right.

Hopefully Naismith and Fleck and Lafferty will combine to shut out those two.

It's just frustrating to have a boy who looks comfortable and dangerous on the left when you know that Smith will play anyone he can before him because he's in his teens.

Good point

Fleck Here To Stay

WALTER SMITH has insisted that teenage star John Fleck can be top team starter from now on after a dazzling first start last Saturday.

Smith gave Fleck the nod for the Falkirk game after four substitute appearances and he reckons he has the temperament to play a major role between now and the end of the season.

He insists the talented youngster has the mentality to handle any challenge and the way he is speaking Fleck will keep his place for Pittodrie on Saturday.

He said: "He deserved his chance. He had been playing very well in the games that we have had in the past six to eight weeks and he had been looking very good in training.

"He moved from the Academy side to the first team at the start of the year and being a quiet lad I think it took him a bit of time to settle in to his new surroundings.

"I thought he was excellent on Saturday considering it was his first start and he is only 17. He has good ability and he showed that on Saturday and he also showed he has a good temperament and that will stand him in good stead.

"I think there is a difficulty with some people understanding the situation with youth players at Rangers.

"Jimmy Sinclair and his group have worked extremely hard over the last few years trying to get a group of players together who will be of benefit to us.

"We are now seeing that coming to fruition with a good group around the 17 or 18-year-old age group.

"It would be difficult to play a lot of them at the one time but they will start to get an opportunity.

"Overall we have a good group below the age of 25 which is also good for the future.

"So we have been working hard in the background and that's difficult for some people to see at times.

"So despite all the criticism last week there are some good things going on at Murray Park.

"You always have to be careful how you handle young players and look and see how they cope but his temperament is very good, as I have said, so we won't be afraid of playing him anywhere.

"When you are in charge of a young player and you want to make sure his career continues to rise then you have to gauge the best time for him to play.

"But if you look at the way he played on Saturday there is no reason why he can't be playing on a regular basis."

worryingly true, lets hope walter looks for whats best in the long run for Rangers Football Club rather than stick by these two passengers.

Good point

Fleck Here To Stay

WALTER SMITH has insisted that teenage star John Fleck can be top team starter from now on after a dazzling first start last Saturday.

Smith gave Fleck the nod for the Falkirk game after four substitute appearances and he reckons he has the temperament to play a major role between now and the end of the season.

He insists the talented youngster has the mentality to handle any challenge and the way he is speaking Fleck will keep his place for Pittodrie on Saturday.

He said: "He deserved his chance. He had been playing very well in the games that we have had in the past six to eight weeks and he had been looking very good in training.

"He moved from the Academy side to the first team at the start of the year and being a quiet lad I think it took him a bit of time to settle in to his new surroundings.

"I thought he was excellent on Saturday considering it was his first start and he is only 17. He has good ability and he showed that on Saturday and he also showed he has a good temperament and that will stand him in good stead.

"I think there is a difficulty with some people understanding the situation with youth players at Rangers.

"Jimmy Sinclair and his group have worked extremely hard over the last few years trying to get a group of players together who will be of benefit to us.

"We are now seeing that coming to fruition with a good group around the 17 or 18-year-old age group.

"It would be difficult to play a lot of them at the one time but they will start to get an opportunity.

"Overall we have a good group below the age of 25 which is also good for the future.

"So we have been working hard in the background and that's difficult for some people to see at times.

"So despite all the criticism last week there are some good things going on at Murray Park.

"You always have to be careful how you handle young players and look and see how they cope but his temperament is very good, as I have said, so we won't be afraid of playing him anywhere.

"When you are in charge of a young player and you want to make sure his career continues to rise then you have to gauge the best time for him to play.

"But if you look at the way he played on Saturday there is no reason why he can't be playing on a regular basis."

Hopefully the journalist is right, and he is planning on starting fleck at pittodrie. I think that it will be the likes of mcmillan and loy who are out getting first team experience that come through before ness. I've criticised smith a lot in the past for not playing youth players, or more accurately not bringing players through from rangers youth teams, however his answers recently have got me much more optimistic. Next year I expect mcmillan, loy, maybe kinniburgh, and shinnie to start to make the breakthrough, with the likes of ness and wilson out on loan to get first team action. Unfortunately I can't see emslie, lennon, or (particularly dissapointing) furman making the grade. aaron is the only other reserve player I expect to make any significant appearances this season.

I can't see what Smith's 'protecting' Fleck from.

He can easily hold his own physically in the SPL.

Protecting him obviously wasn't as important when we'd lost the league up at Pittodrie last time, and tackles were flying in.

Good point.

Fucking bizarre decision that one, I still can't figure it out.

Protecting him obviously wasn't as important when we'd lost the league up at Pittodrie last time, and tackles were flying in.

I don't think it's the physical side he was protecting him from, but the mental side, the pressure of having to win every game, and the fact every mistake is scrutinised. But he now says that fleck is ready, and I'm willing to give Smith a chance to show that he has faith in fleck before I go back to slagging him for never bringing through young players.

I don't think it's the physical side he was protecting him from, but the mental side, the pressure of having to win every game, and the fact every mistake is scrutinised. But he now says that fleck is ready, and I'm willing to give Smith a chance to show that he has faith in fleck before I go back to slagging him for never bringing through young players.

But when are they going to learn the mental side if it isn't thrust upon them?

But when are they going to learn the mental side if it isn't thrust upon them?

Don't get me wrong, I think Fleck should have played more by this point, however if smith is correct in that it has taken him a while to settle in training, then I can understand not throwing him straight in. I also get the impression that, but for the injury he had earlier in the season, he would have been more involved by this point. I usually agree with you completely on how our youth players should be brought through, however I'm willing to wait for a couple of weeks to see how much fleck is involved, before I go back to damning smith

Smith can put out as many fan-pleasing soundbites as he likes but the man is clearly terrified of giving youth a chance. I remember similar statements coming out when wee barry was breaking through, he was desperate to play and almost left because WS wouldn't play him, thankfully Advocaat came in and recognised a player straight away. Deja vu? Really can't see Smith giving him enough football to appease him. I fear the worst.