Hatton-Pacquiao showdown is off

Ricky Hatton's proposed showdown with Manny Pacquiao is off, Hatton's lawyer Gareth Williams has told BBC Sport.

However, Williams said six-weight world champion Oscar de la Hoya could now fight Hatton "in the UK or Ireland" in late spring or early summer instead.

"I woke up on Wednesday morning and read Manny was still demanding a 60-40 split," Williams told BBC Sport.

"I just said 'enough is enough', we'll start looking at Plan B. Manny clearly doesn't want to fight Ricky."

Williams and Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum had issued another ultimatum to Pacquiao that he had to sign his contract by close of business on Wednesday.

But Arum told American website ESPN that Pacquiao was still unhappy with the terms, despite the fact that he was set to earn £8m for the Las Vegas super-fight, which had been slated for 2 May.

"Manny Pacquiao is turning down the biggest pay-day of his career for reasons known only to himself," said Williams.

"Maybe Manny wants to look at the people he takes advice from because there's no prospect he could earn anything like the money he can earn for fighting Ricky by fighting someone else.

"My position has never altered, in that we agreed 50-50 and in every conversation I've had with [Hatton's American promoters] Golden Boy and Bob Arum they've said, don't worry, that's the deal, it's all sorted with Manny.

"Bob Arum held himself out as having the full authority to negotiate on behalf of Manny Pacquiao. Bob Arum has been in this game an awful long time and if he says his fighter's agreed to things, I've got no reason to doubt that.

"My one and only concern is what's best for Ricky Hatton, and hanging around and waiting to decide when, if and on what terms is of no use to me or my client.

"Ricky's mindset is that he's going to fight late spring or early summer and we've effectively wasted three weeks already."

As well as a bout with De la Hoya, who Pacquiao destroyed in eight rounds last December, the other two options for Manchester's light-welterweight king are a rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr or the winner of Juan Manuel Marquez and Juan Diaz on 28 February.

Mayweather Jr retired after stopping Hatton in 10 rounds in 2007 but there have been stirrings of a comeback.

Mexico's Marquez, a former world champion at feather and super-featherweight, has fought Pacquiao twice, with some observers believing he won both encounters.

Williams added: "Marquez has had two very close fights with Pacquiao and that would be the perfect fight.

"We've also put things in place to reopen negotiations with Mayweather's people, to see if he's serious about a comeback fight.

"And finally, and this has taken me completely by surprise, it's been suggested Oscar de la Hoya might be interested as well.

"I've already spoken to [Golden Boy chief executive] Richard Schaefer and he's spoken to Oscar and I think Oscar feels he didn't do himself justice when he fought Pacquiao and I don't think he wants to go out on that note.

"We'll do everything we possibly can to make sure the fight is in the UK because the pound's plummeting and it suddenly makes a trip to America very expensive."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7826510.stm

:(

I want Pacman vs Mayweather then.

Pacman vs Hatton would have been good but I think Pacman would have destroyed Hatton. I'd have really liked to have seen that fight though. Shame.

I hope he doesn't fight De La Hoya as DLH is done and seeing a legend try and compete when he isn't up to it, is rubbish. Or even worse fight Mayweather again. Dunno who Hatton should fight next. He should be calling it quits this year though. 2 more fights and thats in probably.

Hatton should just bite the bullet and accept the 60-40. Somehow beating Pacquiao (cause he's not going to get anywhere near the Pretty Boy) is the only way he'll silence the critics, imo.

Hatton v Pacquiao is off couldnt agree a fee

maybe Hatton has seen sence and realised that he would have been knocked out again

Ricky Hatton's proposed fight with Manny Pacquiao will not take place after the two sides failed to agree terms.

Hatton's advisors had reportedly agreed a 50-50 purse split with Pacquiao but the Filipino has been pushing for 60-40, apparently turning down a 52-48 per cent offer.

Team Hatton had been due to announce a press conference for Thursday morning to officially call the fight off - pending an 11th hour deal.

However, Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions confirmed on Wednesday evening that a deadline had passed for a deal to be put in place.

"We're pursuing our other options. That's it," Schaefer said. "The Hattons called me and asked again if we had a signed deal from Pacquiao and when I said we didn't, they said they won't sit around anymore."

Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum was not amused by his fighter's failure to agree terms.

"Manny decided not to sign. He was unhappy with the terms," he said. "The fight is off. The suits can posture but it's the fighters who have to go in the ring and fight.

"But I am not thrilled right now."

Hatton is now hoping to engage Floyd Mayweather Jnr in a rematch or entice the winner of February's lightweight clash between Juan Manuel Marquez and Juan Diaz to London.

With all three fighters aligned to Golden Boy, Hatton will be ahead of Pacquiao in the queue for a big-money summer showdown

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_4829382,00.html

It was Manny who pulled out not Hatton, Manny was being far too greedy!

I am disappointed about this. A 50/50 split would be fair but for Manny to demand 60/40 after a verbal deal is struck is out of order. Both fighters are bringing the same to this contest and 50/50 is the fairest deal.

I am disappointed about this. A 50/50 split would be fair but for Manny to demand 60/40 after a verbal deal is struck is out of order. Both fighters are bringing the same to this contest and 50/50 is the fairest deal.

BAws! On what grounds does Hatton deserve 50/50! Just because he brings thousands of neds with him?

Pac is the man at the moment, with Ricky wanting to challenge him! In no sport, particularly boxing, does 'the top dog' take parity with a lesser opponent! It is like Richard Dunne of Man City wanting parity with Robinho, on the basis that the fans prefer him!

Ricky should be happy with the 60/40, which I feel is more than reasonable! This appears to be another case of Ricky 'I talk about myself in the third person' Hatton dellusion! He has in no way done anything in his career to warrant 50/50 with Pac! I really do despise how much of a wanker Hatton has become! His 'I'm fighting in Vagas cos it's cheaper for my fans to get to' bullshit is pathetic.....why you in the US Rick as opposed to MEN - because you get paid more loolah! Dont try to spin it as you helping out your fans!

Utte, utter cunt!

BAws! On what grounds does Hatton deserve 50/50! Just because he brings thousands of neds with him?

Pac is the man at the moment, with Ricky wanting to challenge him! In no sport, particularly boxing, does 'the top dog' take parity with a lesser opponent! It is like Richard Dunne of Man City wanting parity with Robinho, on the basis that the fans prefer him!

Ricky should be happy with the 60/40, which I feel is more than reasonable! This appears to be another case of Ricky 'I talk about myself in the third person' Hatton dellusion! He has in no way done anything in his career to warrant 50/50 with Pac! I really do despise how much of a wanker Hatton has become! His 'I'm fighting in Vagas cos it's cheaper for my fans to get to' bullshit is pathetic.....why you in the US Rick as opposed to MEN - because you get paid more loolah! Dont try to spin it as you helping out your fans!

Utte, utter cunt!

Utter Baws!! This fight have would be on pay per view, RH brings more paying fans to the fight than Manny, how many fans you reckon from the Philippines will order PPV?

50/50 was fair simply because of this.

Utte, utter cunt!

Can't agree with you here mate, Hatton is the best light-welterweight in the world and is a huge draw for fans from the US and the UK. His style is incredibly watchable and would guarantee a huge PPV audience.

With regards to the Man City analogy, I'm not really sure if that is relevant here. Boxers are paid for one-off events and they both effectively do the same job on the night, especially in such a high-profile match up where it could go either way. I think 60/40 would be unfair on Hatton.

ah well, hatton v de la hoya should be good

DLH should never fight again. His legacy has been tainted enough.

Totally agree, watching him against Manny was painful. He is doing a great job as a promoter and should stick to this, he has some really exciting boxers within Golden Boy Promotions.

I actually think Hatton would have a great chance against Pacquiao. Pac-man has never liked pressure fighters, and physically it is a good matchup, with both fighters being similar in height and reach, not to mention both like to brawl.

I think a 55/45 split would be fair, with the winner taking the lions share. As a fight, it would be in with a shout of breaking PPV records. Both fighters bring something unique to the table that the other can't offer. Hatton brings with him PPV sales, and Manny brings with him the p4p #1. Regardless of the split, both fighters would walk away from this one very wealthy men, especially if they take a cut of PPV sales.

At the moment this would be the hottest fight in boxing. It's almost guaranteed to be a classic.

Cant see Hatton having much of a chance in this one! IMO he is extremely over-rated and only has one top scalp to his name (an old, semi retired, shoulder problem KT) and even then, he definately got him at the right time, with more than a bit of help from his favourite ref - Dave Parris.

I disagree when people say Hatton is an exciting fighter, as all he has done the past 5 years is hit then grab, hit then grab etc, which is not allowed, and I find ruins a fight! The fight against pacman could well be disastrous for RH as pac's hands are far too quick on the inside, and his footwork is top notch! Ricky would struggle to catch up, and when he did he would have to hold, as pac is far too fast for hatton to open up - his face would be in tatters!

The best possible fight I reckon would be Floyd v Pac - which I fancy will happen some time soon! That would be a real boxing exhibition; not the wrestling that Hatton dishes up!

I stand by my point that in no way does Hatton deserve 50/50 with the number 1 pound for pound! He has done nothing to warrant it, and would be lucky to be in the top 8 pfp!

I actually think Hatton would have a great chance against Pacquiao. Pac-man has never liked pressure fighters, and physically it is a good matchup, with both fighters being similar in height and reach, not to mention both like to brawl.

I think a 55/45 split would be fair, with the winner taking the lions share. As a fight, it would be in with a shout of breaking PPV records. Both fighters bring something unique to the table that the other can't offer. Hatton brings with him PPV sales, and Manny brings with him the p4p #1. Regardless of the split, both fighters would walk away from this one very wealthy men, especially if they take a cut of PPV sales.

At the moment this would be the hottest fight in boxing. It's almost guaranteed to be a classic.

Cant see Hatton having much of a chance in this one! IMO he is extremely over-rated and only has one top scalp to his name (an old, semi retired, shoulder problem KT) and even then, he definately got him at the right time, with more than a bit of help from his favourite ref - Dave Parris.

I disagree when people say Hatton is an exciting fighter, as all he has done the past 5 years is hit then grab, hit then grab etc, which is not allowed, and I find ruins a fight! The fight against pacman could well be disastrous for RH as pac's hands are far too quick on the inside, and his footwork is top notch! Ricky would struggle to catch up, and when he did he would have to hold, as pac is far too fast for hatton to open up - his face would be in tatters!

The best possible fight I reckon would be Floyd v Pac - which I fancy will happen some time soon! That would be a real boxing exhibition; not the wrestling that Hatton dishes up!

I stand by my point that in no way does Hatton deserve 50/50 with the number 1 pound for pound! He has done nothing to warrant it, and would be lucky to be in the top 8 pfp!

Good post (tu) Even though my own view is slightly different!

I described Hatton as having a 'watchable' style, as opposed to exciting, and I think this ties in with your view. It's probably because he gets caught on the inside quite a lot that makes it so.

However, I still maintain that Hatton is the best in his division (albeit quite a weak one) and has an incredible fan base, therefore is in a strong position in terms of negotiating a 50/50 split.

Totally agree on the Floyd v Manny fight though, the skill level on show would be sensational.

Spot on m8, Manny getting ideas above his station, even his own promoter Bob Arum said this!!! Lets hope Hatton goes on to fight Marquez at Wembley and then the winner must then surely fight Manny and teach the greedy wee bastard a lesson!!!

Not any more:-

Manny has signed, ITS BACK ON! Cant wait i hope hatton can do it, but it'll be very hard.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=18028

By Ronnie Nathanielsz

Filipino ring icon Manny Pacquiao has finally ended the deal or no deal uncertainty over his May 2 showdown with Ricky “The Hitman” Hatton when he confirmed “the fight is on.”

Pacquiao is in Manila along with adviser Rex “Wakee” Salud who first broke the news that Pacquiao had come to terms with Top Rank promoter Bob Arum.

In a telephone conversation with BoxingScene.com, insidesports.ph, Standard Today and Viva Sports, Pacquiao explained the delay in finally agreeing to the fight, saying “I have to think first before I make any decision. Its not an easy decision to make. I am not that stupid to agree right away. I don’t want to get screwed.”

Pacquiao was clearly happy at the developments but didn’t wish to discuss details of the agreement he reached with Top Rank promoter Bob Arum whose best offer was a $12 million guarantee and a 52-48 revenue split which Pacquiao had turned down while pushing for a $13 million guarantee.

Pacquiao disclosed that he would start light training in the middle of February and would begin heavy training at Freddie Roach’s Wild Card Gym as earlier planned on March 1.

The boxing icon and world’s No.1 pound-for-pound fighter said the battle with Hatton would be “a very good fight and better than my fight against (Oscar) De La Hoya “ in Las Vegas last December 6 when De La Hoya quit at the end of the eighth round after taking a bad beating.

Arum told BoxingScene.com, insidesports.ph, Standard Today and Viva Sports shortly before noon, Manila Time, that Pacquiao had faxed a signed contract to his office and that the decision of Pacquiao “made me feel good.”

Arum enthused how he “ finally even talked to Manny for the first time in two weeks.” He said several American boxing writers were seated in his office and told him they would believe the fight is on when they see a signed contract.

Arum said “all’s well that ends well” even as he echoed Pacquiao’s statement that he was “happy over the deal” when he remarked that “everybody is happy.”

Arum clarified that his happiness stemmed from the fact that financially “the deal made sense.”

The Top Rank promoter disclosed that initial plans for him to fly to Manila next week have been pushed back. “I am not coming over right away. I’ll come over when we are ready to announce the March 15 card”.

That card which is a partnership between Top Rank and Solar Sports will feature IBF/IBO flyweight champion Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire who will defend his title against former world light flyweight champion Eric Ortiz and former light flyweight champion Brian Viloria will take on IBF champion Ulises Solis at the Araneta Coliseum .

Arum said the Hatton people “are on board” and the promotional tour in London and Manchester, England will take place in the last week of February. Other planned stops will be in New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Arum added, “all’s well that ends well.”

Roach also expressed his happiness that the fight will finally take place and that training camp will open on March 1.

The celebrated trainer said Hatton was strong but had a tendency to throw a couple of punches and then hold and he would find a way to counter that. However, he had no doubt that Pacquiao will prevail just like he did against De La Hoya.

I heard that Arum aint going to meet him till after the Margo Mosley fight tomorrow, so not too sure I believe that yet - though hope it is true!

Anyroads, I'm not sure what Wicky's problem is with th 60/40? I thought he was 'a man of the people' - why would an extra 10% matter to such a Robin Hood type character? :ph34r:

If the fight happens, Pac will ruin him!

tbf mayweather does his fair share of holding as he proved with the hatton fight.

if anyone can sort it out, its Bob Arum...Pacman is only messing about over the money because DLH shafted him in his last fight.. i think over the next few weeks this fight is going to be off&on more times boruc`s mrs knickers..........

tbf mayweather does his fair share of holding as he proved with the hatton fight.

That was generally because Hatton was so close. Floyd generally will hold when someone gets up close to him - but most opponents try to box their way close - Fatton just chucks one shite punch then grabs to try to do what Parris let him do KT - only problem is that it what happened in the Kostya fight is illegal in every boxing ring other than Dave Parris' when Hatton was fighting!

Floyd has tremendous footwork, and in general was able to counter hatton all night - the left hook that sent Ricky reeling into the turnbuckle had been getting honed all night - he tried it from about round 2 onwards. Floyd only tied up when Hatton stormed in trying to smother the fight by putting his left arm around Floyd's neck - which happened all night!

That is one of the many frustrating dellusions that Hatton has - remember he said his fight with a shot JLC was 'more exciting that PBF's whole career' - Eh, no it was Richard, you just hug, hold and wrestle - Floyd is a bona fide boxer that has put on many a masterclass in boxing; such as the time when he thoroughly schooled you on all aspects of boxing : fighting on the outside, the inside, counter punching, fighting on the back foot and fighting on the front foot! Why Hatton wants to fight Floyd again is beyond me, has he seen the replay - Floyd picked him apart in every sense of the word! Floyd v Judah was 100% more competitive that Floyd v Ricky!

I want a Mayweather vs Pacman.

I would back Mayweather to win aswell,hes a class act.Although Pacman might have 2 accept a 60-40 against him possibly.I would imagine if Mayweather would demand that for coming out of retirement.

As for Hatton,i thought he looked a lot slicker in his last fight against a fairly decent opponent who went the distance with Cotto,took a bit of a beasting though.It was Malinaggi who was clinching Hatton.He is an exciting boxer and had evry right to demand 50-50.I would think he will settle for DLH now,which is a shame.