Do You Believe?

novosalegend

Walter Smith  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think he has clue at the moment

• yes
    • no

In WALTER SMITH????

Sometimes I really question what he is thinking a lot of the time.

I am a uefa B qualified coach and I run a local u17 team down here (I know its different managing rangers but the game is still the same) and I even I know that yesterday the team was lacking a bit of flair and most importantly width!!

I really don’t get why he went for a 4-1-4-1 formation, only reason I see it was to cut out the threat of Aluko. We had the chance to go top of the league with a win but we played in a defensive formation, again I know they humped Celtic last week but reading the game it was there for the taking if we were set up a bit more offensive.

To take Miller off and replace him with Boyd up front and still play one up top was stupid when in his own words Boyd can’t play as an only striker! I would have taken mcculloch off and played Boyd and miller up top and gone back to a 4-4-2 and then replaced miller with Novo,

Walter seems to be turning us into a team that lacks creativity and flair. He would rather keep things tight until the last 20 minutes before he panics and try to change things. We have tried everyone on the left mid role. We play Steven Davis at right mid when he is a centre mid WHERE is our balance!!!

It drives me crazy to see what’s happening to us at the minute we seem to keep putting in average performances.

Sorry to keep ranting on and this rant may sound baffling but that’s how baffled I am at the moment.

My first reaction when I saw the teams read out was, "Smith's happy with a draw here."

I'm not a UEFA qualified coach at any level, but I played the game to a decent level and I know a crap coach when I see one.

Give Smith two options: 1. Attack or 2. Defend - he'll go for option two every day of the week and twice at weekends.

Great chance to put pressure on the Clatty's and Smith bottled it.

yesterdays game tactics were fucking awful

even a 4-1-4-1 can still be an attacking formation (ive played the game at a decent level all my life, plus played football manager for years also)

but he sets the team out to completely miss out the 5 man midfield by humping the long balls up the park TO A LONE FUCKING STRIKER

typical scottish manager, wee dick DESPISED the long ball

le guen BANNED it in training did he not?

mcleish liked to use it

smith loves the fucking idea of it

says it all doesnt it :anguish:

So I take it the alternative formation up at Aberdeen yesterday would have been:

McGregor

Broadfoot Bougherra Weir Papac

Mendes Davis

Novo/Naismith Fleck/Aaron

Boyd Miller

Surely a UEFA B qualified coach would see that although giving us width etc this would have left Broadfoot exposed by Aluko and Mendes and Davis overrun in the midfield. Yes the game was shite to watch yesterday but we doon't have the personnel at the moment to play expansive football. Wee dick played good football because he had the players to do so. PLG played expansive football and ultimately failed because he didn't have the players capable of playing that way and winning. By going up to Aberdeen and stifling them we ensured a clean sheet and succeeded in dominating possession. Problem was that the players were not capable of finishing one of the chances which they were presented with. ie. Novo shot, Boyd header within the box. Last year, Smith used the formation to beat far better teams than us on the way to the UEFA cup final. Its not prety to watch but its probably the best chance we have of winning games with the current players. Anyone thinks we could have gone up to Aberdeen, played 4-4-2 and rolled right over the top of them is kidding themselves. If we go 4-4-2 at the Piggery we will lose. Go 4-5-1 and we will draw or win. Admittedly at the moment we miss a Cousin type player capable of playing the lone striking role but perhaps giving Boyd a shot up front on his own with Novo or Fleck cutting in from the left would be the best option.

he hasnt got a clue. Charlie adam coming back in for the old firm game. Lee mcculloch as defensive midfielder. A "striker" who hasnt scored in 6 games up front on his own. Dropping the spls top goalscorer. Totally crazy. I have no faith in walter anymore.

So I take it the alternative formation up at Aberdeen yesterday would have been:

McGregor

Mendes Davis

Boyd Miller

Surely a UEFA B qualified coach would see that although giving us width etc this would have left Broadfoot exposed by Aluko and Mendes and Davis overrun in the midfield. Yes the game was shite to watch yesterday but we doon't have the personnel at the moment to play expansive football. Wee dick played good football because he had the players to do so. PLG played expansive football and ultimately failed because he didn't have the players capable of playing that way and winning. By going up to Aberdeen and stifling them we ensured a clean sheet and succeeded in dominating possession. Problem was that the players were not capable of finishing one of the chances which they were presented with. ie. Novo shot, Boyd header within the box. Last year, Smith used the formation to beat far better teams than us on the way to the UEFA cup final. Its not prety to watch but its probably the best chance we have of winning games with the current players. Anyone thinks we could have gone up to Aberdeen, played 4-4-2 and rolled right over the top of them is kidding themselves. If we go 4-4-2 at the Piggery we will lose. Go 4-5-1 and we will draw or win. Admittedly at the moment we miss a Cousin type player capable of playing the lone striking role but perhaps giving Boyd a shot up front on his own with Novo or Fleck cutting in from the left would be the best option.

A Rangers manager's priorities in all matches against parochial teams in Scotland should always be as follows.

1. Score goals.

2. Keep a clean sheet.

A manager that places more importance on keeping a clean sheet than scoring a goal is not what we need.

"A Rangers manager's priorities in all matches against parochial teams in Scotland should always be as follows.

1. Score goals.

2. Keep a clean sheet.

A manager that places more importance on keeping a clean sheet than scoring a goal is not what we need."

Last season's one-up-front dire stuff could have got the game of football stopped - period.

It's not as if Smith's defensive tactics are a surprise...we've seen this movie before - and it sucks.

"A Rangers manager's priorities in all matches against parochial teams in Scotland should always be as follows.

1. Score goals.

2. Keep a clean sheet.

A manager that places more importance on keeping a clean sheet than scoring a goal is not what we need."

Last season's one-up-front dire stuff could have got the game of football stopped - period.

It's not as if Smith's defensive tactics are a surprise...we've seen this movie before - and it sucks.

Indeed. I was obviously happy we got to the UEFA Cup final but if another team had gotten that far playing the way we did i'd have said it was a disgrace.

1. Score goals.

2. Keep a clean sheet.

Indeed. I was obviously happy we got to the UEFA Cup final but if another team had gotten that far playing the way we did i'd have said it was a disgrace.

not a truer sentence been typed for a long time

McGregor

Mendes Davis

Boyd Miller

********************************************************************************

We shouldnt be stifling them and ensuring a clean sheet and succeeded in dominating possession. We should be beating Aberdeen!!!

we cant live on last years efforts. Against Fiorentina, Bremen, Zenit etc play those tatics but against our fellow league sides we should be playing for a win!

As regards having no cover for Broadfoot if we play 4-4-2 what is a right midfielder there for! he job is to offer support and an outlet for the full backs.

This shows your knowledge ''perhaps giving Boyd a shot up front on his own'' HE CANT PLAY BY HIMSELF!! up top.

There is no Walter Smith.

Yes but is says Walter smith Do you think he has clue at the moment

I think No he Hasn't

Stubborn old man. £2m edu £1m velicka £3.5 lafferty, decides not to play them fair enough he has made a balls up with them.

So why the fuck persist with Miller? the fans didnt want him but the stubborn old man decides.

He knows best and the rest of us should just shut the fuck up and accept it :anguish:

There is no Walter Smith.

Yes but is says Walter smith Do you think he has clue at the moment

I think No he Hasn't

Stubborn old man. £2m edu £1m velicka £3.5 lafferty, decides not to play them fair enough he has made a balls up with them.

So why the fuck persist with Miller? the fans didnt want him but the stubborn old man decides.

He knows best and the rest of us should just shut the fuck up and accept it :anguish:

Aye thats exactly right

he said we can all shout and moan etc but solutions will be welcome and he said the fans are clueless well then lets see then

Falkirk game for example 1-1 and then the fans start sining Theres Only one Nacho novo and 5 mins later Novo is on and sets up the second goal 2-1 for us well I would say the fans put on Novo Not smith so we arent so clueless noo ur we you are because he would have waited unitill 85 mins before he came on

In WALTER SMITH????

Sometimes I really question what he is thinking a lot of the time.

I am a uefa B qualified coach and I run a local u17 team down here (I know its different managing rangers but the game is still the same) and I even I know that yesterday the team was lacking a bit of flair and most importantly width!!

I really don’t get why he went for a 4-1-4-1 formation, only reason I see it was to cut out the threat of Aluko. We had the chance to go top of the league with a win but we played in a defensive formation, again I know they humped Celtic last week but reading the game it was there for the taking if we were set up a bit more offensive.

To take Miller off and replace him with Boyd up front and still play one up top was stupid when in his own words Boyd can’t play as an only striker! I would have taken mcculloch off and played Boyd and miller up top and gone back to a 4-4-2 and then replaced miller with Novo,

Walter seems to be turning us into a team that lacks creativity and flair. He would rather keep things tight until the last 20 minutes before he panics and try to change things. We have tried everyone on the left mid role. We play Steven Davis at right mid when he is a centre mid WHERE is our balance!!!

It drives me crazy to see what’s happening to us at the minute we seem to keep putting in average performances.

Sorry to keep ranting on and this rant may sound baffling but that’s how baffled I am at the moment.

I agree with that 100%

Walter is a buying manager,he always has been.

He is like Strachan and Benitez in that way,not wenger and Ferguson who can nurture talent while maybe buying a few in positions that they don't have covered.

According to our coaches Rory Loy,Danny Wilson,John Fleck and Jordan McMillan are outstanding talents yet Walter would rather play McCulloch,Adam,Miller,Ferguson,Dailly,Broadfoot,Weir etc.

Under Wenger and Ferguson i believe all 4 would be playing every second game at least or at least in cup competitions from the start.

its all very well saying he got it wrong but who are you to say that if we played 4-4-2 and went attacking that we wouldhave got anything from that game, when mendes and ferguson are playing in the middle of a 4 man midfield we get over run when the opposition have the ball as fergies positioning is laughable at times, what if we played this way and got beat then we would have a poll asking if walter had lost it <cr>

cant win

I think he was great up until the end of last season. He then threw away the league to some extent by not playing Furman, Fleck, Buffel and Gow when we desperately needed fresh legs.

The UEFA Cup Final was embarrassing as we played not to lose.

Then his misspent millions before and after Kaunas coupled with the Kaunas debacle was really bad.

He almost got away with it then Thommo was injured and he rushed Barry back and Barry sucked. That and his now lopsided squad and not playing youngsters let him down. Players are out of position and we have far too many mediocre players. What happened to we will only buy quality and not quantity? We wasted 6m on Edu and Lafferty - all potential when we could have had established players. Add Velicka, Misser, Whittaker, McCulloch and we threw away millions.

Bye bye Walter at the end of this year.