'Our 4-4-2 simply doesn't work'

papaguy51

What a load of Tosh from the OP.

442 is the only formation we should be playing & Watty has ALL the tools in the box to facilitate it.

Fuxake, how much do you want to OVER complicate things?

Jeezo.

Really, if you had any common sense, you'd see that Walter's 'tools' are far more suited to a 4-5-1 played properly.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon were a bit harsh on Ferguson, afterall he was carrying a injury tonight :pipe:

It's been said many times on this board 4-4-2 with Boyd and Ferguson in the same team doesn't work.

Barry Ferguson blames poor performance on 'secret injury' shocker

Now now, where have we seen that before? doh

Yes the old injury excuse is coming out yet again :ph34r:

Fergie still dictates the pace of our play

And I think he is the problem at the moment, although I did not think he was woeful tonight

At the start of the season we played 4-4-2 with Thommo in the middle and we passed the ball around with a bit of pace

Now Barry is in there and we are playing at a very slow pace at times

We played better football when Thommo was there.

We could have been top of the SPL given his form.

I checked the stats today.

We won 6 and drew 1 of the SPL games that Thomson played.

Beaten 3 times since Barry has came back in.

442 is the only formation we should be playing & Watty has ALL the tools in the box to facilitate it.

Jeezo.

:anguish:

C'mon were a bit harsh on Ferguson, afterall he was carrying a injury tonight :pipe:

It's been said many times on this board 4-4-2 with Boyd and Ferguson in the same team doesn't work.

Barry Ferguson blames poor performance on 'secret injury' shocker

Now now, where have we seen that before? doh

Leave him alone!!! He's showing that he cares and putting the team first........

Jeezo.

Really, if you had any common sense, you'd see that Walter's 'tools' are far more suited to a 4-5-1 played properly.

I disagree with that actually because it relies so heavily on that one man up front. We don't have anyone capable of that role since Cousin left in my opinion.

And I think he is the problem at the moment, although I did not think he was woeful tonight

At the start of the season we played 4-4-2 with Thommo in the middle and we passed the ball around with a bit of pace

What about St. Mirren?

What about St. Mirren?

Wasnt he replaced at 0-0?

for me the 4-4-2 worked better with thommo in the team

we played at a higher tempo

Ferguson DOES really slow the team down. The other players feel the need to give the ball to him to perform simple passes that they could have done without the captain's help and it totally ruins any sort of tempo we build up.

Good evening Rm'ers, hope you had a good one.

Just back from the traffical (is that a word?) nightmare that is Hampden and I did actually enjoy the game.

I can't see our 4-4-2 working without a proper defensive midfielder though. The gaps that appeared between defence and Ferguson/Mendes at times tonight were vast and a half decent team would have killed us.

Up front, Boyd was anonymous for the first half but really very, very good in the second period of play. Won freekicks (still falls on his arse too much though), troubled the defenders, ran at a few players and generally got up well for his linkup play. Won a tackle in the rightback position as well after chasing the ball down, so (tu) to you Kris.

Ferguson was absolutely woeful. A few decent first time passes, but the amount of 'hospital' passes he played tonight was terrifying. I went into the game in the mindset of being 100% fair on him and he didn't deliver at all. Totally undeserving of his automatic selection and captaincy at the moment.

Mendes, Novo and Bougherra were a league above the others tonight. Novo's goals and all round play were great, Bougherra was dominant in the air and calmed things down at the back and Mendes ran the show (although his final delivery was shocking at times). He did manage to keepie uppie a ball over Darren Barr's head twice though, so I enjoyed that.

Comfy night, but we must start looking more urgent and perform to a higher tempo against better teams. The surface was abysmal though, to be fair.

I've thought this since Thomson got injured, Ferguson and Mendes are never strong enough to win the fight for midfield against better sides. Add to that Davie Weirs lack of pace and that's a big concern against a decent side or a team with a bit of pace from middle to front. McCulloch did a job in there up at shittodrie and while people can say we threw away three points it's probably as accurate to say we gained one.

If they had a good striker, they could have had a couple of goals in the first half, but I agree with your assesment of the game, and of boyd, nacho showed he is better up there than miller and boyd showed he has improved slightly, in the first half he even got past a player and to the byline! was unlucky not to have had more goals, especially in the second half when he had the ball in the 6 yard box, I think too many times he was looking to set someone up when he should have taken it himself :P

Nacho novo staking a claim for a starting berth though and he deserves it now (here the cycle restarts)

Novo is twice the player Miller is plus he'll guarantee you goals!

Just ashame our manager can't see that.

i think he will stay in the team after tonight

Long since giving up on trying to work out how our manager thinks or makes decisions. Novo plays upfront and scores 2 goals again as he did against Celtic and Dundee Utd last season so no doubt he will be dropped to the bench again.

Jeezo.

So whats your team when 442?

I would go 4-5-1 and include Aaron and Fleck/Naismith.

No place for aaron tonight, think the jewel in Valenia's crown will be back in Spain next year.

Some points:

Davis set up Novo for the second goal.

Aaron could easily have helped out on the right or left wing tonight especially as we were two goals up at halftime.

Barry does slow things down and is not helping us much just now.

Boyd and Novo looked like getting goals all night. Misser is just that - Misser.

Will Novo keep his place? He clearly should.