Who are our current Davie McPhersons?

Danny

We look back fondly on guys like McPherson, Ginzburg, Munro, and McLaren and see them as our weakest links in the late 80s early 90s yet even today we can still recall them with respect - they gave us what they had and were part of strong teams.

So in 10 or 20 year times will we look back on Kirk, Charlie, McCulloch et al in the same way, or will our memories be brutal?

We look back fondly on guys like McPherson, Ginzburg, Munro, and McLaren and see them as our weakest links in the late 80s early 90s yet even today we can still recall them with respect - they gave us what they had and were part of strong teams.

So in 10 or 20 year times will we look back on Kirk, Charlie, McCulloch et al in the same way, or will our memories be brutal?

Depends if they were in a successful team through those years like McPherson and that had. If we win things with them in our team then their weaknesses wont be highlighted as much. Right now though it doesn't look good for them

Munro was a good steady player but i always thought McPherson was pish.

Broadfoot is our McPherson just now,hard working,honest and a trier but looks fuckin ridiculous runnin up that wing and gives the ball away too often and caught out of position all the time.

Munro was a good steady player but i always thought McPherson was pish.

Broadfoot is our McPherson just now,hard working,honest and a trier but looks fuckin ridiculous runnin up that wing and gives the ball away too often and caught out of position all the time.

My outstanding memory of mcpherson was the Leeds game (i think away). Opening minute, the world watching, the big clown gets the ball no pressure anywhere near him, and fukin almost clears the stand with a straight blooter out the park, priceless. That said, i don't think he ever fouled throwed twice in twenty minutes. :pipe:

Kirk is one of that category. Other than that I don't think there's anyoneelse in the current squad. Novo will rpobably have asimilar standing in the future - never and outstanding player , but a good, honest hard worker

I remember McPherson scoring an own goal in the 93 scots cup final and I was only 9 then. Used to watch that game over and over cause of McCoists overhead winner. Magical!

Your half right he and the goalkeeper Ally Maxwell I think, made a mess of things but C.Brewster deff put the ball in the net.

The sad thing is big Dave would be a standout in todays team,he only looked as poor because he had class all around him and the support gave him a hard time instead of backing the man. And if I remember right Walter played him at rightback alot and he was a centre-half, fish out of water springs to mind, CH at RB does this sound familiar ????

I remember McPherson scoring an own goal in the 93 scots cup final and I was only 9 then. Used to watch that game over and over cause of McCoists overhead winner. Magical!

Your half right he and the goalkeeper Ally Maxwell I think, made a mess of things but C.Brewster deff put the ball in the net.

The sad thing is big Dave would be a standout in todays team,he only looked as poor because he had class all around him and the support gave him a hard time instead of backing the man. And if I remember right Walter played him at rightback alot and he was a centre-half, fish out of water springs to mind, CH at RB does this sound familiar ????

think your on about diff game mate

Aye you could be right the one the boys on about was the one against Hibs at the San Giro, when we won 2-1, Durrant and McCoist scored the goals, the one am on about was when we lost 1-0 to Dundee Utd. and stopped us winning back to back trebles.

I think saying Mclaren was a weak link is a bit harsh. Even with one good knee he was a superb defender. Nothing much got past him! (tu)

I always compare McPherson's Mullet perm to Lafferty's current barnet! GET IT CUT! (tu) Similar running(??) style too! Mind you, McPherson probably was a bit more of a goal threat! :scot:

The 1993 Scottish league Cup Final is what the boy is on about. When we sang the Sash in the Jungle!

You are thinking off the Scottish Cup Final of 94...

Probably only Novo from the current crop will be thought of with fond memories, the rest I class with the early 80's teams' Dougie Bell anyone?, thought so, least said the better.

im just about to have my tea but your mention of dingy bell has put me off my digestives

only game i remember him playing well was against hibs

The 1993 Scottish league Cup Final is what the boy is on about. When we sang the Sash in the Jungle!

You are thinking off the Scottish Cup Final of 94...

Thanks bud, its old age, now back to the home.

I always remembered watching Dave McPherson and thinking he way way out his depth. Everytime he got the ball it was 5pence 50pence situation especially near the box.

To be honest its similar to Kirk getting the ball now i crap myself cause you just know he is gonna lose it right out side the box.

I always remember Alan McLaren being an outstanding defender marking Baggio and such like out of the game for scotland. Only thing against him was he looked like a giant raspberry after the match with his red face.

Probably only Novo from the current crop will be thought of with fond memories, the rest I class with the early 80's teams' Dougie Bell anyone?, thought so, least said the better.

im just about to have my tea but your mention of dingy bell has put me off my digestives

only game i remember him playing well was against hibs

Sorry pal, I'll try not to do that again, :D

He came off the bench that night. I remember him cryin with joy after he scored. Good memories. (tu)

He came off the bench that night. I remember him cryin with joy after he scored. Good memories. (tu)

I remember him dancing in the Centre Circle on his crutches wearing a LOUD blue blazer after the '93 Scottish Cup final at the piggery too!

I never considered Alan McLaren as a weak link, quite the contrary. He was never the most, umm, "athletic" of players but read the game very well and seemed to have a strong mentality. I think he would have been our captain after Gough had he not been force to retire.

As well as the 0-0 with Italy and his well-known marking job on Baggio, he was also unbreakable against Russia during the Euro '96 qualifiers against Russia away (which was also 0-0, I think).