***Generic Kris Boyd Thread***

jimmckinlay

See what i don't understand is when dicussing Boyd you either need to be pro or anti. People need to realise that he is neither a great striker, nor is he useless and deserving of being sold.

Boyd is a useful player to have in your squad for home games and away matches against the lesser clubs. This is where he thrives, finding the space and subsequently scoring goals which often prove to be match winners. Every squad needs a player like that who can score goals by the barrel-load.

On the other hand, he should not be on the team sheet every week either. For away games against the top 6 clubs he is often shackled by the opposition. These games demand a striker who can hold the ball effectively and bring others into play which is a part of Boyd's game that has always been lacking. Strikers such as Miller or Lafferty should be used on these occasions.

This is the beauty of having a squad, guys. It includes players with different fortes and styles who thrive in different situations and matches. Just because Boyd is not adept at playing the lone striker role or performing well away from home doesn't mean that he does not make a valuable contrubution to the squad, his goalscoring record shows that he does indeed. But that record also shouldn't warrant him being on the teamsheet for every game, especially ones where he is notorious for struggling in.

It is all about balance, Boyd should be used when and where he is most effective to ensure we get the most of his abilities.

Far, far too reasonable. Where's the "Boyd scores goals END OF" or the "Boyd's the worst Rangers player in the last ten years FACT" stuff? Have you read the rules?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Boyd detractors will probably slag me off for this, but his goals are the reason we're top of the league.

It's all about goal difference right now, and it's his 20 or so which have us at +10 over timmy.

Am I wrong?

In a word.... YES.

All competitions...

24 goals scored. A full 62% of them against 3 teams. Hamilton (6), ICT(5), & Killie(4). We should be hammering these teams without Boyd and we would.

And.. how many times has he fallen on his fat arse, been offside etc.. when perhaps someone else would have been right on the ball.. and putting it in the back of the net (maybe) Hindsight is 20/20.

So.. that leaves 9 goals against the rest all season.

Hearts 1, Hibs 1, Falkirk 3, St Mirren 1, Sheep 1, Dundee UTD 1, partick 1

Not so good Mr. Boyd? As has been said. A BIG Player for the small occasions.

Good finish on Saturday though.

And I like Boyd... lol

The Boyd detractors will probably slag me off for this, but his goals are the reason we're top of the league.

It's all about goal difference right now, and it's his 20 or so which have us at +10 over timmy.

Am I wrong?

In a word.... YES.

All competitions...

24 goals scored. A full 62% of them against 3 teams. Hamilton (6), ICT(5), & Killie(4). We should be hammering these teams without Boyd and we would.

And.. how many times has he fallen on his fat arse, been offside etc.. when perhaps someone else would have been right on the ball.. and putting it in the back of the net (maybe) Hindsight is 20/20.

So.. that leaves 9 goals against the rest all season.

Hearts 1, Hibs 1, Falkirk 3, St Mirren 1, Sheep 1, Dundee UTD 1, partick 1

Not so good Mr. Boyd? As has been said. A BIG Player for the small occasions.

Good finish on Saturday though.

And I like Boyd... lol

he scored the important equaliser yesterday against killie and had an almost direct part in millers first, scored two in the 2-1 game against killie, those were very important as without them we may have lost, he also scored 2 goals (including an equaliser) away to hamilton, against the smaller teams they may have been, they were still very important, boyd being in the right place at the right time yesterday spared our blushes as he has done many a time

Boyds Goals have indeed put us in this position. However i dont think it will come down to goal difference. So lets just carry on getting the good results.

Boyds goals do win games that get us results though

Am I wrong?

obviously if he'd scored at ibrox against them tho we'd be 2 points clear. :pipe:

Or if our defence hadnt been so slacking, we might not have dropped the 3 points

My take on it is this. No-one does what Boyd does better than Boyd, if we could say the same about the rest of our team we wouldn't have to give a flying f*ck about goal difference because we'd be about 18 points clear of them bead rhattling pigf*ckers.

Am I wrong?

obviously if he'd scored at ibrox against them tho we'd be 2 points clear. :pipe:

Or if our defence hadnt been so slacking, we might not have dropped the 3 points

or both

You should not leave your top scorer on the bench, I think boyd should play up front with miller & the league is ours. 4-4-2 please walter.

Certain games, especially away from home where the 4-4-2 formation with the personnel we play, would not work!

Posts like this one always go down like a lead balloon on here, but here goes anyway! :pipe:

The assumption in the first post is obviously that if Boyd hadn't played in any games in the SPL this season we'd have scored 21 less goals than we have (our total goals - Boyd's goals). Now, I doubt many people would accept this as somebody else would have played in his place and at least chipped in with a few goals, but I get the feeling most people naturally assume that without Boyd playing we wouldn't have scored as many as a team.

Personally, I think this is incorrect. We might not have another striker who can score 21 goals, but the team as a whole has proven itself just as capable of scoring goals in Boyd's absence in my view. To prove it, here are the numbers of goals we've scored with Boyd on the pitch and the number of goals we've scored with him off it:

Total minutes with Boyd on the pitch in the SPL this season: 1844*

Goals scored with Boyd on the pitch: 43

Goals per 90 minutes with Boyd on the pitch = 2.1

Total minutes with Boyd off the pitch in the SPL this season: 496*

Goals scored with Boyd off the pitch: 13

Goals per 90 minutes with Boyd off the pitch = 2.4

Surprisingly then, we've actually scored more goals per game with Boyd off the pitch in the SPL this season than we have with him on it. This is even more notable when you consider the games Boyd has missed - Old Firm games, away at Pittodrie, etc. There's therefore little reason to think that removing Boyd from the team would see us score a huge number of goals less than we have with him playing and certainly no reason at all to think that we'd have scored 21 less than we have (which, incidentally, would have us scoring less than the likes of Dundee United). I'm not going to say the opposite - that we'd score more without Boyd in the team - as you have to take figures like this with a pinch of salt, but it's clearly not the case that you can just subtract Boyd's goals from our total and say that he's primarily responsible for us being top of the league.

------------------------------------

*Rounded out to 90 minutes per game

We should be more than capable of playing 4-4-2 against the other teams in the SPL home or away. The likes of Aberdeen and Dundee Utd are decent enough sides in comparison to the rest of the SPL but we're meant to be miles ahead of them player for player and on and off the park in general. It shows how far we've fallen that flooding the midfield against Aberdeen might seem necessary to even just get a point.

Posts like this one always go down like a lead balloon on here, but here goes anyway! :pipe:

The assumption in the first post is obviously that if Boyd hadn't played in any games in the SPL this season we'd have scored 21 less goals than we have (our total goals - Boyd's goals). Now, I doubt many people would accept this as somebody else would have played in his place and at least chipped in with a few goals, but I get the feeling most people naturally assume that without Boyd playing we wouldn't have scored as many as a team.

Personally, I think this is incorrect. We might not have another striker who can score 21 goals, but the team as a whole has proven itself just as capable of scoring goals in Boyd's absence in my view. To prove it, here are the numbers of goals we've scored with Boyd on the pitch and the number of goals we've scored with him off it:

Surprisingly then, we've actually scored more goals per game with Boyd off the pitch in the SPL this season than we have with him on it. This is even more notable when you consider the games Boyd has missed - Old Firm games, away at Pittodrie, etc. There's therefore little reason to think that removing Boyd from the team would see us score a huge number of goals less than we have with him playing and certainly no reason at all to think that we'd have scored 21 less than we have (which, incidentally, would have us scoring less than the likes of Dundee United). I'm not going to say the opposite - that we'd score more without Boyd in the team - as you have to take figures like this with a pinch of salt, but it's clearly not the case that you can just subtract Boyd's goals from our total and say that he's primarily responsible for us being top of the league.

if weve played less games with him off the pitch, and by chance happened to score more goals in that time, of course it is going to appear that way... but that same team that rollocked hibs, got beat off st mirren and only looked like scoring once we made some subs (including boyd), it was the same against aberdeen at pittodrie

We should be more than capable of playing 4-4-2 against the other teams in the SPL home or away. The likes of Aberdeen and Dundee Utd are decent enough sides in comparison to the rest of the SPL but we're meant to be miles ahead of them player for player and on an off the park in general. It shows how far we've fallen that flooding the midfield against Aberdeen might seem necessary to even just get a point.

Its a joke, hamilton have taken more points off dundee UTD and knocked them out of the cup and this is the team that is turning into a 3rd force in scottish football? there is no 3rd force

if weve played less games with him off the pitch, and by chance happened to score more goals in that time, of course it is going to appear that way... but that same team that rollocked hibs, got beat off st mirren and only looked like scoring once we made some subs (including boyd), it was the same against aberdeen at pittodrie

Like I said, you can take these figures with a pinch of salt, but the point isn't so much that we'd score more with Boyd off the pitch, it's that you can't just point at Boyd's 21 goals, subtract them from our total and conclude that Boyd is the reason we're top of the league. The reality is that we don't know how many goals we'd have scored without Boyd, but it certainly wouldn't be 21 less than our total right now (the equivalent of saying Boyd alone is the difference between us challenging/winning the title and battling it out with Dundee United, Hearts and Aberdeen for a UEFA Cup place).

Like I said, you can take these figures with a pinch of salt, but the point isn't so much that we'd score more with Boyd off the pitch, it's that you can't just point at Boyd's 21 goals, subtract them from our total and conclude that Boyd is the reason we're top of the league. The reality is that we don't know how many goals we'd have scored without Boyd, but it certainly wouldn't be 21 less than our total right now (the equivalent of saying Boyd alone is the difference between us challenging/winning the title and battling it out with Dundee United, Hearts and Aberdeen for a UEFA Cup place).

I dont really think danny was taking that point seriously though, I would rather, to some extent, discuss the importance of the goals that boyd has got in terms of match winners, every goal counts though

Am I wrong?

(tu) I was just thinking the exact same thing earlier on. No doubt he will be on the bench for the rest of the season.

I dont really think danny was taking that point seriously though, I would rather, to some extent, discuss the importance of the goals that boyd has got in terms of match winners, every goal counts though

That point is the entire premise for this thread as far as I can tell - the first post states that Boyd's goals are the reason we're top of the league on goal difference.

Theres far too much to take into consideration

The team as a whole dont create as many chances in these tougher fixtures etc.

Nobody can take away Boyds goal record is excellent, and he has done well this season. He shouldnt be out the team simple, 4-4-2 him and Miller. There isnt a better striking option at Rangers, not a player who can come forward and score as many as he does.

Its up to the manager to identify the strongest team and selections for certain games, and heres hoping that most important thing happens, we win the league.

every goal that hits the back off the net in our favour is as important as each other,

regardless weather its a tap in, a 40 yard screamer, a penalty or even an OG

the person who gets on the end of it well done them, we cannot go out and play with 1 player on the field it just wont happen,

it is 11 V 11 ( to start with ) and it is how the team performs that decides the outcome, just because 1 player does not play a certain game you cannot say if they were on the park the outcome would have been different.

one thing is for sure though when the TEAM is picked regardless of who is in it every player needs to step up to the plate.

you can sit and say all Boyds goal but if it wasnt for Davis, Mendes, Miller he wouldnt have all the goals

you could say the same for any striker in any league dependant on the team

if those guys werent laying on the goals, then we would have an even bigger problem

you can sit and say all Boyds goal but if it wasnt for Davis, Mendes, Miller he wouldnt have all the goals

you could say the same for any striker in any league dependant on the team

if those guys werent laying on the goals, then we would have an even bigger problem

true but alot of people on here think without Boyd we would be up shits creak without a paddle but it would be a much much bigger problem to lose Davis, Mendes, Thomson etc.

Some good stats there my friend........ taking your tallies a wee bit further, what is also interesting is that we have lost 17 of our 19 goals this season when Boyds on the park with Timmys 2 goals at Mecanno Land the only goals we have conceded in Boyds absence. So it appears when he doesnt play, we defend from the front....

0.83 goals per game conceded when Boyd is on the park

0.36 goals per game conceded when he isnt.

:sherlock: