Brian Laudrup diagnosed with cancer

cwoodloyal

Sep 8 2010

Rangers legend Brian Laudrup revealed yesterday that he has cancer - then vowed to beat it.

The Dane said he was shocked to be told he has a form of lymphoma - a cancer of the immune system.

The former Ibrox star, married with two children, admitted he faced a tough challenge to beat the cancer - but vowed: "It's a battle I'll win."

Last night friends, fellow footballers and fans rallied round to offer their support for Laudrup, who now works as a pundit for Danish station TV3.

He said: "I am obviously shocked by the diagnosis.

"Fortunately, I have had very optimistic reports from doctors, in my favour, and I intend therefore to continue to as a commentator for TV3's Champions League coverage.

"I am optimistic in terms of my recovery because the disease was discovered in a very early stage and is a mild form of lymphoma.

"I now want to use my energy to get over the shock and take time with my family and those closest to me, so together we can move forward.''

Among those backing Laudrup last night was Mark Hateley, who played in the same Rangers side.

Hateley said: "The good thing is they've caught it early, which is clearly favourable for him.

"We all send our prayers out to Brian and we hope they are heard. What he did for Scottish football is written down in folklore.

"I'm sure he'll conquer this like the challenges he's faced on many many football fields over the

years

"I'd like him to know we're all thinking of him. It seems a lot of sportsman are being stopped in their tracks at the moment by cancer, big John Hartson being the obvious one."

Laudrup, the younger brother of football ace Michael, made 82 appearances for Denmark and scored 21 goals. He was also in the Danish side who won the Euro 1992 title.

He was at Ibrox during the heart of his career, between 1994 and 1998, making 116 appearances, scoring 33 goals, and winning three league titles.

Many still rate Laudrup as the SPL's greatest foreign import along with Henrik Larsson.

Laudrup's playing career included spells with Bayern Munich, Fiorentina, Ajax and Chelsea.

The Dane quit football in 2000 after winding down his career with Copenhagen.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was diagnosed with the same thing 2and a half years ago i had chemotherapy for 6 months lots of tablets to take ,it knocked the hell out off me i was 38 at time . now 2 years on i hear my hero has got same horrible disease that i had .devastating ,you will beat it brian ,keep positive and remember every bear is thinking of yo get well soon and hopefully be as fit and healthy and return to ibrox 1 day.watp

Sad news, very fond memories of Brian Laudrup, probably the best player during my youth and prized possesion is a copy of The Rangers News where he is on the front cover and it is autographed to me !!!

Thought are with you, Get well soon !!!

Is there any planned msgs of support/banners/flags from maybe the tbo on Saturday?

This is an awful thing to happen to anyone, I hope he stares the bastard cancer in the face, beats it and goes on to make a full recovery

We're all behind u Brian