Take a bow David Leggat

MisterC

Have to say this is his best blog in some while. Hits the nail on his head and gives it both barrels in many directions!

Wednesday, 27 April 2011

FLAG BAN TAKES THE BISCUIT

NO doubt the Times of London's Matt Dickinson will be pleased to learn Royal Wedding cakemakers, McVitie, have banned the Union Flag at their Glasgow factory.

And no doubt everyone who waved the nation's flag at Ibrox on Sunday will decide whether they want to continue buying McVitie's cakes and biscuits.

I've always been more of a Tunnock and Mr Kipling man.

But only in Glasgow could the sight of Britain's national flag be said to be deemed offensive to Republican rabble and hauled down in an act of abject appeasement.

Just imagine if some Muslim hotheats in, oh, say Luton, complained about the Union Flag? The outcry from Middle England would be deafending and the Union Flag would soon be restored to it proud place.

Though I don't suppose Matt Dickinson would be one of the voices raised in protest. Of course he belongs to the lefty-liberal handwringing chattering classes who exists within the Metropolitan bubble.

Which is somewhere Dickinson could not tear himself away from at the weekend, even though he was tasked with commenting on what happened at Ibrox on Easter Sunday.

Ibrox, old boy? Glasgow? Where's that? Oh, I don't think so. I'll watch it on Sky, old chap. I'm sure that will let me put the boot into Rangers, is what he might have said.

Or, perhaps what he wrote in his now infamous Times of London rant, was a direct response to my Easter Monday blog, in which I mentioned how the huge swathe of English folk across the Home Counties and the Shires, who had spent a week seeing Rangers demonised, would wonder what manner of media vilified a club whose supporters were so proud of the Union Flag.

If Dickinson thought he could add his own personal drip of poison to the Republican well he was wrong.

The sort of good folk of Middle England I had in mind are the SIX MILLION plus who read the Daily Mail. Or he TWO MILLION plus who read the Daily Telegraph.

Not the Times of London with it's puny - and falling - circulation of 400,000, with most of its readers in that London Metropolitan bubble of political correctness, where it is fashionable for the luvvies to loathe Britain and all things British.

The Times of London, once one of the world's great newspapers, is now an irrelevance. The one-time Thunderer is now merely a wee Whimperer.

And as for Dickinson? His credentials are further sullied by it being revealed he is a pal of Philmacgiollabhain.

Let's just say that in a telephone conversation I had on Tuesday, one trusted executive of Times owner, Rupert Murdoch, said you can sum up Dickinson in the first four letters of his surname.

And what, if any part, did the Times of London's Scottish district reporter, Odious Creep, play in what Dickinson wrote?

Certainly Dickinson tweeted that he was being his lightning rod. A wee clue there perhaps.

His poisonous piece also met with the approval of his pal at the Mirror, another Republican rabble rouser, Brian McNally.

Ah, the Mirror! At the height of the IRA's campaign of indiscriminate terrorist bombing of woman and children, the Mirror splashed with the headline on an opinion piece which screamed... TROOPS OUT!

No wonder what was once a wonderful paper, and which in the 1970s sold seven million copies and boasted under its masthead -EUROPE'S BIGGEST DAILY SALE - has gone down the toilet and is just about to slither BELOW the paltry one million mark.

But, to return to Dickinson, and there is something else which it is well reflecting on regarding this Englishman who finds the Union Flag provocative and offensive, and nothing to do with football.

Dickinson had clearly done his research when he interviewed the then England manager, Glenn Hoddle, and one area which interested him concerned Hoddle's religious beliefs.

Now, what the religious beliefs of the England manager had to do with his ability to do his job I cannot understand. What did Hoddle's beliefs have to do with football?

But when Dickinson wheedled them out of the polite and pleasant Hoddle it led to a storm which saw Hoddle removed from his position.

There are many of my English friends, supporters and press pals alike, who believe that was the start of the downfall which culminated in England's sorry show at last summer's World Cup.

Dickinson's seeming obsession with political correctness, robbed England of a manager who was better and more suited to the difficult task than any of the others who have followed, and who have tried and failed.

It was perhaps no surprise that someone writing for the Times of London should find the Union Flag offensive, while not suffering the same feelings when viewing the Irish Tricolour which was displayed by Celtic supporters.

That is the same Irish Tricolour under which the balaclava wearing armed terrorists of the IRA paraded in Londonderry on the same day as Dickinson's drivel was being written for the Times of London.

It is also strange that Dickinson has never had anything to say about the massive card displays on view at Parkhead on many big European nights over the last decade.

They have been made up the colours of the Irish Tricolour.

I recall writing in the Sunday newspaper I worked for at the time that, on the day when newly appointed Scotland manager, Berti Vogts, made his first matchday visit to Parkhead, the German must have been confused.

Wee Berti must have thought he had taken a wrong turn and ended up at a ground in a foreign country as he was welcomed by diddly-diddly music blaring on the tannoy, and a sea of Irish Tricolours.

I cannot recall Dickinson commenting on that much more newsworthy incident.

Come to think of it, I can't reacall seeing him in a press box at a club match on this side of the border. He certainly hasn't been at Ibrox in the last decade.

And it the subject of the cost of sending Dickinson to press boxes all over the world, which his employer, Rupert Murdoch, may address as the Times gets ready to see its budgets slashed.

If Dickinson feels he is able to comment on an occasion he did not bother to attend, then maybe Rupert can save a few quid by telling Dickinson in future he can write his reports from what he watches on television, while sitting inside that wee Metreplolitan bubble of political correctness where the Union Flag is reviled as provocative and dangerous.

Maybe Dickinson can even watch television on Friday and comment in a similar way on what he sees outside Westmister Abbey and all down The Mall.

Or perhaps the sight of even more Union Flags than were on display at Ibrox on Easter Sunday, would be too sickening and distasteful for Dickinson.

I also await his comments the next time British service men and woman are paraded before a Wembley match and presented to the teams.

Something which has become regular.

Will he find that as dreadful as his pal Odious Creep did when representatives of Britain's wonderful fighting forces took a bow at Ibrox?

That would take the biscuit. Just not one made by McVitie.

* Digestives

* Ginger Nuts

* Hob Nobs

* Rich Tea

* Penguin

* Taxi

* Gold Bar

* All Butter Shortbread

[edit] Cakes

* Lyle's Golden Syrup Cake

* Jaffa Cakes

* Jamaica Ginger Cake

* Lemon Cake

* Mini Rolls

heres what we should be avoiding.

some decent stuff but biscuits arent exactly a rared commodity

Not just avoiding.

We should be emailing McVities management in protest, as well as the media and royals to get this story highlighted down south the same way they do to us.

With the south in royal fever, they won't be too keen on McVities or the tims for this nonsense.

Time to play them at their own game.

As good a blog as this is, it is still dis-heartening that Leggat is forced to blog on this subject rather than someone with genuine sway in the journalistic world pouncing on this. It would be more satisfying to see the Daily Mail or the Telegraph writing an opinion piece on Dickinson's preposterous accusations. Leggat unfortunately does not appear to have any significant influence or a particularly wide audience.

No criticism of the man himself, but I cannot believe the attack on a club flying the British flag, at a British ground... etc etc... has been roundly ignored thus far.

Where is the outrage in the wider community

* Digestives

* Ginger Nuts

* Hob Nobs

* Rich Tea

* Penguin

* Taxi

* Gold Bar

* All Butter Shortbread

[edit] Cakes

* Lyle's Golden Syrup Cake

* Jaffa Cakes

* Jamaica Ginger Cake

* Lemon Cake

* Mini Rolls

heres what we should be avoiding.

some decent stuff but biscuits arent exactly a rared commodity

I'd already stopped buying ginger nuts and lemon cakes for obvious reasons

Do McVities MickVities have a parent company? If so then their opinion may be worth seeking.

This sort of thing has been on the way for years - ask Arsenal fans - I suggest we do not tolerate it at Ibrox.

United biscuits.