WARNING - Unless you want a criminal record, THINK before you POST

boss

Along with other football forums, we have been contacted by the Football Co-ordination Unit for Scotland (FoCUS) several times in recent weeks requesting details of posters following complaints about threatening or offensive posts. Our response in each case has been to contact the poster and suggest they may wish to contact FoCUS voluntarily. On each occasion the posters have done so.

We are aware of ongoing cases where posters on football forums have been charged, and may end up with criminal records as a result of their posts.

FoCUS are satisfied with our approach but they have stated that where they do not receive assistance they are likely to seek a warrant to obtain all details that RM hold of that poster. At RM we do not have the resources, legal or financial, to deal with warrants or to fight such cases through the courts. It is therefore imperative that every poster understands they are responsible for their own posts.

We cannot overemphasize how serious this matter is.

Unless you want a criminal record, THINK before you POST.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is for sensible discussion of the above. We'll answer any questions we can about this without breaching confidentiality, but it's a situation we can't do anything about. FoCUS have a mandate to investigate any complaints about offensive posts, and they are actively doing that on various forums. That has led to requests for posters' information and has also led to arrest in some cases.

Please keep this thread sensible and on-track, don't turn it into a witch hunt or use it to point the finger at other posters. This is a serious subject and we won't be lenient on posters detracting from the purpose of this thread. Above all, please don't post (in this thread or any other) anything which will result in FoCUS wanting to speak to you.

whats the point in discussing it guys,

if you are a banker you can screw the country out of billions

if you work in television you can cover up whatever you wish

if you work in the media you can spout whatever bollocks you want

but god forbid you post a stupid comment on a forum and your jailed

the country has went mad

whats the point in discussing it guys,

if you are a banker you can screw the country out of billions

if you work in television you can cover up whatever you wish

if you work in the media you can spout whatever bollocks you want

but god forbid you post a stupid comment on a forum and your jailed

the country has went mad

I agree Jim. The laws are draconian and poorly and inconsistently applied. However, they exist and are being used, so we want to make all users aware so that they have full knowledge of the facts before they post.

The way forward online is a disposable email and a proxy, cover your tracks from salmonds nazi thought police.

But we'll not go down that road.

Just show some brains and don't do it. It's the last thing the site or anyone on it needs.

Pretty simple request I think.

So thought crime is in full effect now.

Obv there is nothing legally you guys can do, but the fact that all this money/time/manpower is being used to arrest people on football forums just shows how fucked up this silly wee country is.

Fucking pencil pushers, the scum of the earth.

But we'll not go down that road.

Just show some brains and don't do it. It's the last thing the site or anyone on it needs.

Pretty simple request I think.

Sure, after 3k posts i dont believe ive posted anything illegal. But you should watch the recent bbc documentary "youve been trumped". Police in this country arrest anyone they dont like. They dont like football fans.

Is it a case of there is a set of phrases that can't be typed without getting flagged up and investigated?

Is it the case that if you have a well sourced intellectual sounding argument then that will be okay? Or is it just if we (FoCUS) decide we don't like it we will be coming after you?

Did my posting of that NWA song really get taken down? If it meant trouble for the forum, fine, but I'm a big boy. If me posting that video gets me a visit from plod, then we might have reached a nadir of sorts.

Did my posting of that NWA song really get taken down? If it meant trouble for the forum, fine, but I'm a big boy. If me posting that video gets me a visit from plod, then we might have reached a nadir of sorts.

I agree, we are responsible for our own posts, so removal of posts seems a bit redundant no?

EDIT: they probably removed it because it has nothig to do with the thread mate ;)

can focus explain why over 50% of there football related charges dont lead to convictions?

Is this because they are misunderstanding their mandate?

or is this because they are confused on what is actually illegal?

focus for me have no credability since they have sat back and did nothing about people who are spending their lives trying to dig up any dirt they can on rangers and posting it on blogs online which leads to true social unrest. If you had stepped up and arrested people in the media who label us cheats and accuse us of signing bigoted songs when it is easily proved to be false, i would have faith you were a power for good but alas..

Is it a case of there is a set of phrases that can't be typed without getting flagged up and investigated?

Is it the case that if you have a well sourced intellectual sounding argument then that will be okay? Or is it just if we (FoCUS) decide we don't like it we will be coming after you?

I don't think FoCUS actively monitor forums, there are no keywords that activate some automatic flagging. FoCUS act on complaints, look at the post and decide if there is a case for them to speak to the person concerned. If so, they contact the site and ask for details. As above, we'll always contact the poster and tell them, that FoCUS want to speak to them and allow them to contact them directly. We have no wish to give out posters' details, but it is possible we will be left with no choice if they can't contact the person directly.

There's a clear and obvious distinction between someone making a reasoned argument about why the catholic religion is not good for humanity versus someone posting "Fuck the Pope," for example. Or saying Alex Thomson is a disgrace to journalism and should be hounded from his job versus posting that you're going to hunt him down and kill him. If people can't make the distinction, it'd be best not to post anything.

Bear in mind, we don't want any of our posters to fall foul of these laws, but we are not in a position to prevent it.

You carry the title of "site writer." Given the request to keep the thread sensible and on track, I'd have hoped you'd have more sense than to post that, to be honest.

I don't think FoCUS actively monitor forums, there are no keywords that activate some automatic flagging. FoCUS act on complaints, look at the post and decide if there is a case for them to speak to the person concerned. If so, they contact the site and ask for details. As above, we'll always contact the poster and tell them, that FoCUS want to speak to them and allow them to contact them directly. We have no wish to give out posters' details, but it is possible we will be left with no choice if they can't contact the person directly.

There's a clear and obvious distinction between someone making a reasoned argument about why the catholic religion is not good for humanity versus someone posting "Fuck the Pope," for example. Or saying Alex Thomson is a disgrace to journalism and should be hounded from his job versus posting that you're going to hunt him down and kill him. If people can't make the distinction, it'd be best not to post anything.

Bear in mind, we don't want any of our posters to fall foul of these laws, but we are not in a position to prevent it.

Thanks for that response BP. (tu)

It really is a travesty that it has come to this.

You carry the title of "site writer," given the request to keep the thread sensible and on track, I'd have hoped you'd have more sense than to post that, to be honest.

I thought it as ludicrous a reply to the ludicrous state we find ourselves in here in Scotland, but so be it.

then block non members problem solved!

no non members viewing posts then it would dramatically reduce the amount of people who can get upset.

dont have much faith in the view you can have reasonable debate about religion without people of that religion complaining and the police acting on said since so many of their charges are found not guilty eventually

So far as we have been told, FoCUS don't go looking for trouble - they act on complaints received. It's obvious who is complaining.

As one of the more liberal Mods (honest), I agree with comments about the law being draconian, unfair and uncertain. It's a bad law if folk cannot easily know whether they are breaking it or not.

But the point for RM is this - we didn't make the law but we do have to comply with it. We can't let every post go - we don't have the resources to deal with dozens of requests from FoCUS every day. That's why we will continue to moderate and remove posts even although each poster remains responsible for their own posts. All forums, including RM, are being reviewed following complaints, perhaps every day.

This is serious.

THINK before you POST.