WARNING - Unless you want a criminal record, THINK before you POST

boss

Is there any sort of filter here on RangersMedia that blocks words and phrases that are likely to be deemed offensive/illegal? I've seen it used before mentioning certain names etc. but not sure if it's used to screen certain words?

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay ta mate.

what about a disclamier when entering site that you have to agree to? would this have any legal positive connotation?

I think it will always come down to the question; has the post broken the law? Any disclaimer may absolve RM of any blame, but as has already been stated we are responsible for our own posts. It is up to us to ensure they do not break the law.

First of all i just wanted to say that i completely support RM status on this.

What i would like to know is if focus are applying these rules across the board.

We hear noted academic types such as Professor Dawkins saying many things about the Catholic church, some of them that could easily be offensive to a Roman Catholic.

I wonder if he will be treated the same as a "normal" person from the West of Scotland? Or are you exempt from bigotry when your an Oxbridge graduate?

Wonder if Tam Cowan, Stuart Cosgrove, and Tony Roper/the script writers of Rab C will be getting a wee chap at the door for using the H word.

Its absolute madness if you ask me, and i would urge everyone to write to your MP regarding these draconian measures.

Finally, since the words "thought crime" have been used so often in this thread (i had difficulty not using it myself) here is a wee Orwell picture to keep us smiling.

oboekhhjtw1.jpg

I think it will always come down to the question; has the post broken the law? Any disclaimer may absolve RM of any blame, but as has already been stated we are responsible for our own posts. It is up to us to ensure they do not break the law.

thats what i am unsure of, were the lines lie.

obviously there is way over the line and can understand and have no problem with this, but what are the borderline comments according to the law in general terms (what kind of tone do they have to be) that may result in my name etc being asked for and me having to contact focus but not nessecarily going any further? In other words what is deemed as warnable?

Is it only posts about Catholicism/Irishness that are likely to be reported, or any bluntly-worded post? If I were to say "fuck the tories" or whoever, would that be considered a bit dodgy?

What about a long post denying the Holocaust or supporting some David Icke-style fringe theory? I literally don't understand where the limits are. It seems no different from censorship.

Fuck the whingers, tons of things annoy me but I don't try and censor people. I see this as basically a law for the religious to protect their deranged beliefs from criticism.

Madness.

This is interesting...

Purely for illustrative and clarity of understanding purposes...if a person was to use the phrase, for example, "fenian bastard" in each of the following locations how does the law deal with it:

* the pub (not ok) It is in the pubs I visit.

* private home (ok) Yup...obligatory!!

* private members club, say a Lodge (prob ok) You'll not hear that in Lodge.

* poster at the bus stop (not ok) Which is why I choose not to use public transport.

* a written letter to a friend (ok) How I start and finish my letters.

* a private email to a friend (ok) (same as above)

* a public internet forum (not ok) I disguise it better. The word "Tarrier exists in no Dictionary.

* a private internet forum, say... a private members club (prob ok?) Absolutley. Should be obligatory.

Where does a speaker's right to privacy from the public exist? Where is the line where something electronic becomes public? If someone prone to being offended broke into a home or a private members club and overheard said phrase, is the speaking of the phrase then illegal?

This is all relatively clear in real life - the walls of privacy are a bit harder online.

A very very grey area and I feel sorry for all bears in the UK.

As for me here in Australia, we have a treasured home grown comedian in Tim Minchin who sings "fuck the pope" on stage in public like it was a nursery rhyme.

Please send us this Minchin guy. We're stuck with that ageing Tarrier Connolly. :7325:

Is it only posts about Catholicism/Irishness that are likely to be reported, or any bluntly-worded post? If I were to say "fuck the tories" or whoever, would that be considered a bit dodgy?

What about a long post denying the Holocaust or supporting some David Icke-style fringe theory? I literally don't understand where the limits are. It seems no different from censorship.

Fuck the whingers, tons of things annoy me but I don't try and censor people. I see this as basically a law for the religious to protect their deranged beliefs from criticism.

Madness.

Your right to free speech is at risk here! I agree that offensive (AM GONNA KILL ME SOME FENIAN BASSAS or similar in a big loud voice) language is not required on RM and, as there are likely to be a few minors on here, the use of swear words should be in the correct context to teach our youngsters the right way to swear (fuck all terrorists?) but you have the right to say what you feel and should defend that right. Committing a crime, whether on line or not should be investigated but calling all terrorists dumb mother fuckers is not really a crime now is it?

Also, as clelandhattrick says, he is entitled to believe what he likes and call every one else deranged - that' HIS opinion!

These PC morons need to grow up and go find something better to moan at.

Am so glad I left the UK - I now have total free speech :7325:

Anyway, whens the next debate so we can go back to berating the Tim's?

Are they watching us right now? :shifty:

So we are not allowed to write anything that could be deemed offensive by the perennially offended? Duly noted. :dry:

My generic, unoffensive post today is: Blue is a nice colour. :unsure: Hope no one gets offended.

You are next to get a visit from the fun police.... blue indeed! :matron:

:7325:

So we are not allowed to write anything that could be deemed offensive by the perennially offended? Duly noted. :dry:

My generic, unoffensive post today is: Blue is a nice colour. :unsure: Hope no one gets offended.

My granny was blue just before she passed away.

Hope you are proud of yourself ya bastard lol

Some people find homosexuality offensive.

Some people find a mixed-race marriage offensive.

Some people find a Palestinian flag offensive.

So what? Just get on with life. I would never dream of censoring fascists or homophobes or religious nutters.

The whole thing is incomprehensible to me. It's an embarrassment to Scotland.

Outlawed by the Offensive Colour (Scotland) Act of 1916.

What details do RM have on posters other than email and IP address?

We know your bank details, PIN numbers, passwords, your sexual orientation, the names of your children, pets, relatives - we know where you work and what you eat for breakfast.

We also know if you've ever worn a 'Jim'll Fix It' badge.

In other words, DON'T FUCK WITH US OR WE'LL DESTROY YOU!!

(Sorry....that slipped out there) :000000082:

We know your bank details, PIN numbers, passwords, the names of your children, pets, relatives - we know where you work and what you eat for breakfast.

In other words, DON'T FUCK WITH US OR WE'LL DESTROY YOU!!

(Sorry....that slipped out there) :000000082:

Sexual orientation?

:unsure: