Nick Davies of the guardian

Gooseman

at least he replied but come on, Private Eye? we need a mainstream media organisation to run with this story not a satirical publication that is the paper equivalent of Have I Got News For You. A lot of the stuff they print is supposed to be humourous. No way will anyone take anything seriously that is printed in Private Eye.

Its not all humour and it is highly respected for its investigative journalism. Do you read Private Eye?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe so but it is the biggest selling current affairs magazine and outsells many newspapers. It was also cited during the recent Rebekah Brooks trial as being highly influential. If you dont read it, then you are hardly the best person to judge it are you?

Maybe so but it is the biggest selling current affairs magazine and outsells many newspapers. It was also cited during the recent Rebekah Brooks trial as being highly influential. If you dont read it, then you are hardly the best person to judge it are you?

Investigating the Rebekah Brooks case is right up the London based Private Eyes street, im not so sure how keen they would be to investigate a football club from Glasgow. Anyway good luck to the OP for trying, but I think he's hitting his head against a brick wall with this. Its probably going to take something earth-shattering for people to actually investigate what goes on at Pokkhead.

Investigating the Rebekah Brooks case is right up the London based Private Eyes street, im not so sure how keen they would be to investigate a football club from Glasgow. Anyway good luck to the OP for trying, but I think he's hitting his head against a brick wall with this. Its probably going to take something earth-shattering for people to actually investigate what goes on at Pokkhead.

The private eye reporter mentioned has already talked about it. Good chance he would be interested in a more complete follow up

Can't see anything relevant in that link. Can you give a pointer?

Yes, there's nothing in the link about them at the moment but this is where the official information will be published.

Whether a full investigation goes ahead or not, I would like to think that PZJ would get a heads up prior to their Friday newsletter.

Would it be worthwhile to bombard the BBC Scotland with request to have their chief sacked for sitting, purposely, on this story? It is after all a fairly important story and not like the many that are raised.

Also

I saw john mason willing to discuss the subject of London rd school last night with pzj and others. It turned in to a bit of a farce with off topic points being added in and then people rounding on him.

Surely if we have the opportunity to have dialogue with an mp/msp willing to discuss these matters we should treat him with respect and at least try to foster a working relationship that could get this highlighted higher up.

He seemed willing to do this at one point and I suggested pzj sending him all the info but then the slagging started. I don't really think this kind of attitude helps.

Don't know details of what happened last night but as general point I think this is the danger of online communication. It's ok for trying to make the initial contact with MSP/MPs but, if you are lucky enough to get response, it would be better used as means of getting an early meeting with them. IMO, if two people meet and talk face-to-face there are likely to be less misunderstandings and greater chance of them treating each other with due courtesy and respect. It's also more difficult for them to get rid of you/ fob you off.

...But I’ve forwarded your message to tim.minogue@private-eye.co.uk who investigates local authorities for Private Eye (He writes the Rotten Boroughs column). I can’t speak for him, but I hope he may be able to pursue it.

Might I suggest that if one or two of our more erudite members who have both an interest and an understanding of this case were to drop Tim a polite email, without all the detail, just saying that you, along with many of your associates, would also appreciate it if he investigated the matter further.

If he had half a dozen emails supporting it, it would give him more justification in looking at the matter again.

Also

I saw john mason willing to discuss the subject of London rd school last night with pzj and others. It turned in to a bit of a farce with off topic points being added in and then people rounding on him.

Surely if we have the opportunity to have dialogue with an mp/msp willing to discuss these matters we should treat him with respect and at least try to foster a working relationship that could get this highlighted higher up.

He seemed willing to do this at one point and I suggested pzj sending him all the info but then the slagging started. I don't really think this kind of attitude helps.

This is really a bad thing if we have clowns at these meetings who turn on the people who's help we require. I hope the people responsible for this behaviour are left out of future meetings or pzj's and your hard work will be for nothing.

iang2911 - "I saw john mason willing to discuss the subject of London rd school last night with pzj and others. It turned in to a bit of a farce with off topic points being added in and then people rounding on him.

He seemed willing to do this at one point and I suggested pzj sending him all the info but then the slagging started. I don't really think this kind of attitude helps."

The sad thing bud is we have a lot of people in our own support who don't give a hoot for this unless it gives them the right to sing whatever wee additions to songs that suit them no matter how much harm it does. They see the club as a means of pushing an non-football political religious message at the cost of the reputation of he club and when confronted about it spout a load of crap about their protestant unionist identity, handwringers and it not being the club of their forefathers and their youth.

If the private eye dude writes an article about it and it gets picked up by the mainstream media then excellent. But if not we've not lost anything in trying. The worst he can say is that he's not interested. We have to be proactive in highlighting this to the press out side Scotland.

The guardian was PART OF THE CONSPIRACY THAT SMASHED THE CLUB.

FFS

Those left wing cunts were in on the whole thing....asking that prick to investigate is like asking the vatican to look into paedo priests

Nick Davies is a freelance journalist.

I have just been emailed by Nick

Hi

Thanks for your message. I see your point, but I’m afraid I’m no good to you, just because I’m already up to my neck in other stuff. But I’ve forwarded your message to tim.minogue@private-eye.co.uk who investigates local authorities for Private Eye (He writes the Rotten Boroughs column). I can’t speak for him, but I hope he may be able to pursue it.

Good luck

Nick

I would like to think this other guy can get some wheels turning.

the thing that concerns me about this is that, as a freelance journalist, I would imagine that if there was a story that was gonna blow a few skirts up and make a name for the journo he'd realise it and run with it.

However, the fact that he's willing to pass it on doesn't really fill me with confidence.

I hope I'm wrong though.

It's actually quite baffling how much they spent doing that area up compared to anywhere else, I live 10 mins walk from hampden and compared to parkhead area it's night and day.... Don't even get me started on our "improvements"

Bit off topic but has anyone mentioned it on Snyde ? I know there reaction would be to sweep it under carpet but look how many called up during the tax case fiasco

It was brought up a couple

Of months pre end of season.

There was a chorus of "we are not experts in state aid, so we can't discuss it". FFS that didn't stop them talking about tax affairs for 2yrs

The problem we have is that because of what happened to us and the situation we find ourselves in people will think its just somekind of bitter attempt to get some revenge on the tarriers. If everything had been going along swimmingly and we were winning titles ect like back in the good old days and we had raised the issue of "state aid" at that point, then people would have listened. Unfortuantely now it looks like we are seeking some kind of payback and retribution due of the indignity of liquidation and of the embarrassment of witnessing a prestigious club like Rangers playing in the Third Division.

We know this is not the case, but for the outsider looking in, its all too easy for them to write it off as nothing but bitterness and jealousy.

You are at it .Your no bear

I have just been emailed by Nick

Hi

Thanks for your message. I see your point, but I’m afraid I’m no good to you, just because I’m already up to my neck in other stuff. But I’ve forwarded your message to tim.minogue@private-eye.co.uk who investigates local authorities for Private Eye (He writes the Rotten Boroughs column). I can’t speak for him, but I hope he may be able to pursue it.

Good luck

Nick

I would like to think this other guy can get some wheels turning.

In other words he doesn't want to touch it

Don't know details of what happened last night but as general point I think this is the danger of online communication. It's ok for trying to make the initial contact with MSP/MPs but, if you are lucky enough to get response, it would be better used as means of getting an early meeting with them. IMO, if two people meet and talk face-to-face there are likely to be less misunderstandings and greater chance of them treating each other with due courtesy and respect. It's also more difficult for them to get rid of you/ fob you off.

most of the Mps in Glasgow are rancid beggars