Can we start being honest about where we are now

K.A.I

1 minute ago, BroomloanBear said:

Yes we need a few players but the diffence between this seasonĀ andĀ last is that we have a young improving side, not a team of money grabing has beens on the wrong side of 30. Lets face it do we need to spend fortunes to beat celtic when both swedish and norwegian opponents turned them over with a shoestring budget?

It comes down to what you define as "fortunes" ... I'd flip it and say do you think we'd, in turn, turn over Malmo and Molde? if the answers no then you'd be agreeing with my OP.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think we've already got a good enough squad to finish ahead of teamsĀ like Killie over a season and adding in the summer will mean we can challenge Celtic.

I think people are forgetting that whilst we've not changed our formation the balance of the the team changed when holt got injured.Ā 

At that point we were hammering poor teams as we had pretty much a team of attacking mids and two wingbacks with Miller up top. However we looked vulnerable against better teams when the opposition were driving at us.

I don't think it's a coincidence that we now look more solid at the back but have less in attackĀ with Ball protecting the defence and Zelalem being more box to box than Holt or Law.

Ā 

2 hours ago, K.A.I said:

It's all a matter of opinion. Every point there. You sound to me like you don't think we need to do much for next season?

Not as much as some do. Ā We have three permanent players in with the Accrington lads and Ohallaron. Ā I expect a couple of Ā new loans with BallĀ and Gedion going back to their clubs. IĀ expect another 3Ā permanent signings to replace Clark, Law and Shiel's. Ā I'm hoping for a couple of our young lads to progress through, I rather see that being our main route.

I am disappointed that we didn't win today, but as I said on another thread, we could easily have won by up to four goals on another day and I don't have any worries for the replay.

We are far from being the finished article, but we are a young side and more importantly it's how we play the game. IMO we are streets ahead of anyone in pure footballing terms. MW has installed a playing style that is refreshing and effective.

Difficult to compare us with those inĀ a league that we are not in, but if we look at Hearts, they won this division last season and now sit 3rd 14 points behind the scum. Are they any better than they were last year? I honestly don't know, but some could say they were better footballing wise when they were in the Championship. They are a team with limited resources, a rookie manager who obviously has some talent, as their league position will tell you. So, are we better than them and if we are,Ā can we assume that we are looking at beingĀ third and more when we step up?

For me, we firstly have the right and best management team by far. We have theĀ biggest resources after the scum. We currently play a possession game, play it wellĀ and a brand that is kindĀ on theĀ eye. Therefore in theory, we are nowĀ looking at being second as a minimum.

Now look at the scum. I have watched their highlights during the season and then had the pleasure of watching them implode against the sheep. My conclusion is, they are dross. Probably the biggest bunch of over paid mediocrity that I have ever witnessed. They have big cluggers, little cluggers and cardboard players. Broonie is done, so who elseĀ do they have?Ā  Their defence is a bomb scare. Their midfield? Well they don't have one anymore. Is Forrest better than McKay?Ā  Never in a million. So the answer is nobody. What one of them is good enough to step into our team? IMO, not a fucking one

We will strengthen in the summer and we will be even better than we are now.

Is it beyond us to take the top title next season? IMO, definitely not and the key to our success will be our management team and we don't need to spend a fortune.

Ā 

20 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

To be totally honest....

Ā 

Ā 

Im sitting in my living room on a Saturday night. Worst still... only on my first beer. Where did it all go wrong?

Ā 

Ā 

No commitment, that's your problem.

I'm three quarters through a crate of Stella, staring at a half empty bottle of vodka getting ready to go out. You got to play to win

3 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Loads have stated otherwise mate, but I agree with you it's a good way to look at it by comparing where we were last year. In general the standard is night and day, but I'll say it before someone else does (AlBear or The Dude) - we beat St Johnstone and Kilmarnock last season in the cups with McCoist in charge.

Not that I want they days back, just saying.

Kind of fucked your own point.Ā 

Plenty said our squad under McCoist wasn't good enough, despite beating premier league teams. Now I'm sure we all agree our squad is better than last year, despite losing/drawing with premier league teams, right?

Too many want to take games in isolation to suit their opinions. Also you wanting/expecting us to spend Ā£30 million on players is an extreme view on 'where we are'.

Our squad is good enough. We will add better quality in the summer and we have a management and philosophy that will win us most games in the premier league.

I'm sick of being the voice of reason on here every time we don't win every game, so it's good to see others not desperate to push the panic button every time we aren't 4-0 up at halftime. People need to look at the bigger picture. We've come a hell of a long way in just 8 months and there is no reason to think/believe we won't continue improving under those we have in charge.

I'm being honest where we are now when I say we are geared up to win the championship and we will, nothing more nothing less, why do folk compare us to premier league teams when we havnt been preparing for that league just yet, Warburton was tasked with us winning the championship anything else was a bonus. Don't understand the mentality when we don't beat premier league teams, and BTW we run them ragged today.

17 minutes ago, AlBear85 said:

Kind of fucked your own point.Ā 

Plenty said our squad under McCoist wasn't good enough, despite beating premier league teams. Now I'm sure we all agree our squad is better than last year, despite losing/drawing with premier league teams, right?

Too many want to take games in isolation to suit their opinions. Also you wanting/expecting us to spend Ā£30 million on players is an extreme view on 'where we are'.

Our squad is good enough. We will add better quality in the summer and we have a management and philosophy that will win us most games in the premier league.

I'm sick of being the voice of reason on here every time we don't win every game, so it's good to see others not desperate to push the panic button every time we aren't 4-0 up at halftime. People need to look at the bigger picture. We've come a hell of a long way in just 8 months and there is no reason to think/believe we won't continue improving under those we have in charge.

That's not me fucking my own point. I said that you would probably point out that we beat those same two teams, last season, under an inferior manager and squad. That's not my point. My point is contained within the OP.

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

That's not me fucking my own point. I said that you would probably point out that we beat those same two teams, last season, under an inferior manager and squad. That's not my point. My point is contained within the OP.

So if we won today, what would that have proved for where we are now?

I'm assuming the draw inspired this thread.

4 hours ago, kaiser1041 said:

No one has stated otherwise though I prefer to compare to where we were last season.progress is being made and will be made again on the summer

Except we beat Killie 3- 0 last year.

Ā 

just saying like!

Ā 

:pipe:Ā 

1 minute ago, AlBear85 said:

So if we won today, what would that have proved for where we are?

I'm assuming the draw inspired this thread.

If we won today then I might have started to think St Johnstone was a one-off and we might be better equiped than I thought.

This draw, the St Johnstone game and various other games - in addition to, peoples comments on here I see constantly about us challenging inspired this thread. I'm honestly not point scoring, that's not my style. Nothing is cast in stone one way or another either so there's technically no right or wrong but I think I'm perfectly entitled and justified in my thoughts.

4 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

If we won today then I might have started to think St Johnstone was a one-off and we might be better equiped than I thought.

This draw, the St Johnstone game and various other games - in addition to, peoples comments on here I see constantly about us challenging inspired this thread. I'm honestly not point scoring, that's not my style. Nothing is cast in stone one way or another either so there's technically no right or wrong but I think I'm perfectly entitled and justified in my thoughts.

Fair enough John. I'm not interested in getting in an argument as I'm about to go out.

All I'll say is if people look at our season as a whole, rather than choosing to focus on the handful of games we've had issues, then there is no reason to believe we aren't on the right track.

Just now, AlBear85 said:

Fair enough John. I'm not interested in getting in an argument as I'm about to go out.

All I'll say is if people look at our season as a whole, rather than choosing to focus on the handful of games we've had issues, then their is no reason to believe we aren't on the right track.

Yeah that's fair enough.

I wanted to win big today. Send a message. But the longer the game went and as we got into last 15 mins I was reasonably happy for a replay simply for the fact we get another SPL game and more experience. And away from home. I fancy us to smash them because they'll have to commit more than they did today.

Would have gone thru roof for a late winner but think a replay is one worth looking fwd to as a fan and for the team.Ā 

Right now we are midway through phase 1, a new team, Ā a new philosophy and a new playing ethos. Ā We will dominate almost every side we will come up against in Scotland. And I include Celtic in this. Ā Are we capable of winning the spfl with the players we have now? Ā No, Ā and no one would suggest that. Ā Will we be a different, Ā stronger animal next season? Absolutely! Ā When we played St Johnstone we are not ready, Ā today we were, Ā but when you have 10 behind the ball it's difficult. Ā If we win the tie Scottish football and the media will start to genuinely take notice.Ā 

We should have strengthened better in January, but we never did enough this window, anyone watching us could see investment in the team was needed.

I think we see a marked difference in the supporters who go to games knowing what we need over supporters who may not go.

16 minutes ago, Smile said:

We should have strengthened better in January, but we never did enough this window, anyone watching us could see investment in the team was needed.

I think we see a marked difference in the supporters who go to games knowing what we need over supporters who may not go.

So you don't think we'll win the league this year or you want us to win by more points than we will, I don't see the point in investing more money on players than we have done already , whenĀ we will win the league with what we've got, no use spending money for the sake of it.

Just now, BlueboyG said:

So you don't think we'll win the league this year or you want us to win by more points than we will, I don't see the point in investing more money on players than we have done already if we win the league with what we've got, no use spending money for the sake of it.

We could win it but we will certainly have to keep winning our games, as Hibs have strengthened, i thought last year we would win it and walk the play offs as well, so what do i know.

Just now, Smile said:

We could win it but we will certainly have to keep winning our games, as Hibs have strengthened, i thought last year we would win it and walk the play offs as well, so what do i know.

Mate, we are night and day from last season, we will win it keep the faith.

1 minute ago, BlueboyG said:

Mate, we are night and day from last season, we will win it keep the faith.

I think/hope we will and i think Warburtons the right man for the job, is he getting the financial backing to do the job to the best of his ability i'm not so sure on that.

I'm the guy who argued all last year that we would beat Hearts and win the league i said the same about the play offs, sometimes you expect because we are Rangers.

Everyone agrees there's room for improvement, I know it probably doesn't fit in with Warburtons tactics but a flair player in there today, instead of Zelalem, and we would have cracked the Killie defence easily. We did have our chances , just no luck, but thought we toilledĀ a bit in the last third. The right signings in the summer and we'll Ā be more than capable of mounting a serious challenge.