Can we start being honest about where we are now

K.A.I

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We'll be getting rid of a few high earners: Templeton, Shiels, Bell, Law?  We've got a number of loan players that could leave: King, Ball, Zelalem, Forrester, that keeper?.  The board will undoubtedly free up some cash too.  If Warburton can bring in 3 or 4 guys who can take us to the nex level then we'll be in a good position.  Mark is the right guy to go in to the transfer market and find that type of quality and convincing them to come here.  

Thought we played well yesterday and dominated throughout. I know Killie are utter shite, but it showed that we're certainly comparable with a good SPL side atm, it actually surprised me how well we did. I said earlier in the season we're 5 or 6 players off being able to challenge with Celtic and I haven't changed that belief.

For what it's worth, I'm much more confident now that we have a decent chance of winning the Scottish Cup. 

Where we are now?

We have over this season changed to a far more positive Culture. There is no room for over paid under performers. For example I cannot see a player like Black ever being accepted in Warbs and Weir set up, nor do we have the disciplinary issues. I think we are getting our values back. Values from pre SDM. We have players performing for the Jersey. We are prepared to wait to get the right player who wishes to play for the right reasons, rather than splash cash on some random mercenary. We have a team with spirit, who fight to the end every game. 

Performance wise- we have a Team that is winning a League that it should win. But having to deal with and manage all the associated pressures of that expectation. Yes I have concerns for next season. As things stand do we have a squad with the strength to compete with the likes of Celtic, Aberdeen or Hearts- I am not sure we do as yet. Can we compete the Partick Thistles, Hamiltons and Motherwells- As yet there is no real evidence we are going to dominate those teams.

If we can get a few genuinely good/strong players in key positions over the Summer we  will be a very different side. For me we need to invest in 3 blue chip signings. Central defender, an attacking midfielder, and a top class centre forward. We need all 3 to give us a real backbone. Then I believe we could genuinely compete for the League title and the opportunity to play European football again. This Summer will be when we see just how much King and the Board genuinely have available in the "war chest". 

We dominated Kilmarnock today, without playing well at all. 

Could have been 3 or 4 had we had a bit of luck. We've hit the post, the bar, and Waghorn had 2 or 3 great chances. 

I've no fear for next year, particularly given we'll offload overpaid shite like Templeton, and replace with quality. 

42 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

We dominated Kilmarnock today, without playing well at all. 

Could have been 3 or 4 had we had a bit of luck. We've hit the post, the bar, and Waghorn had 2 or 3 great chances. 

I've no fear for next year, particularly given we'll offload overpaid shite like Templeton, and replace with quality. 

Totally agree, I actually forgot templeton still at the club.  I see Clark, Templeton, Law, Sheils, Ball and Gedion all leaving.  Thats 6 players that could be replaced. Apart from Templeton, the other 5 have contributed to the season. However  not one of them  has been a standout throughout the season and should be replaced with better quality. 

We have 3 new in , with Crooks, Windass and Ohallaron.  I envisage at least another 3. The backbone of the squad is already here, This summer is about replacing the fringe players and replacing them with players that can be added to the backbone of the team.

We are in a good place as I see it, it would be different if those fringe players have 2-3 years left on their contracts and we were stuck with them.  

I also think we have 2 or 3 youngsters that could be valuable to the first team squad.

11 minutes ago, Swagger said:

Progress is definitely being made but we are quite a bit away yet. We would end up 4th or 5th in the SPL as it stands at the moment.

I'd probably agree with this if we kept all out top players fit. We've been lucky injury wise this season but we don't have much strength in depth which clubs in the spl tend to have. Lengthy injuries to waggy Holt McKay would have us struggle in this league never mind the top league. 

8 hours ago, K.A.I said:

wouldn't say a players cost is irrelevant - I mean we wanted the guy from Brentford and couldn't agree the fee.

I mean it bears no relation to how good he is! Teams pick up players worth millions of pounds in freedom of contract.

From this window past players brought to the club have to be better that what we have.  We have good "squad " players playing regular first team football.  

From what I have seen this hasn't happened, although tbf MOH may prove me wrong. 

By all accounts the AS lads hopefully will walk into the team in the summer. 

We have come a long way- we need to realise that but not to the extent of letting that stop us from going from average to great. 

A lot of bullshit in this thread. When we go up we need to be winning every week - that won't happen even with a few players added. The like of aberdeen would destroy us with the defence we have and as much as we dominated yesterday, goals win games not posession. 

By that logic Hibs are much better prepared for the top level than us having beaten Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and St Johnstone...a one off cup game is much different to each week in the league.

Of course it's going to take additions to the squad etc but at the end of the day if we are playing Premiership teams every week of course we'd cope better...

Then of course Kilmarnock drew with Celtic at their ground earlier in the season, one off results are simply that...one offs! 

They were well organised and we could and should have scored a couple of goals, confident we'll put them out in the return but of course we're going to have to improve as we move up the leagues.

Killie were not playing to win. They parked the bus big time and had a very few break aways & shots on goal. We need to play teams who are after a win & not simply trying not to lose before we know where we are.

If we get past Killie perhaps we will get a game against a team trying to win (East Kilbride perhaps)

We didn't beat Kilmarnock every time we played them when we were in the top division. 

I took a lot of heart from the fact that Kilmarnock came to Ibrox and played 10 men behind the ball, looking not to get pumped. That's how these teams used to come to Ibrox in the past and its a sign we are on the way.

All we need to do is to keep progressing, replace those that leave with higher quality and we will be ok.

We will beat Kilmarnock in the replay and I hope we get Celtic in the next round.

On 2/6/2016 at 4:04 PM, K.A.I said:

I'm in no way slating the team. We were the better team today and played alright (not great but alright - seen us play worse)

But IMO we were the better team against St Johnstone too and didn't beat them, either.

The point is we are still a long way off where we want to be. It's not a criticism, it's an honest observation. I see people on here all the time saying because Celtic are shite we don't need to do much for next season and we would easily challenge etc. I face palm every time.

Teams like St Johnstone and Kilmarnock are the bread and butter you expect to see off every week before playing one of the bigger games.

Dave King is 100% correct. We need 5 or 6 players to compete and get back to where we want to be. Obviously the levels of spending to do it is up for debate but signing guys like Forrester, King, O'Halloran simply won't do it.

I'll stress again, it's not me criticising the team. We played alright today and in general for the level we are at we are going great but some serious work and thought/planning is required to take us to the next level. We have to make some big choices when it comes to our next rebuild job which will be in the summer. If not, forget it.

I agree with all of what you wrote mate, except, O'Halloran will do it. Most Prem defences will be shredded by his pace and power. We've also got Crooks & Windass coming who are both goalscorers.

Take it you didn't see O'Halloran shred Celtic's defence with a great run around 2/3 weeks ago mate

Compared to this time last year we are light years ahead

As MW said it is work in progress and no doubt after winning promotion two or three players will added to strengthen the team.

I for one do not expect instant success in the top league next year.

To me progress will be gaining a Europa League spot and getting to a cup final all within our budget.

I do not want to return to spending money we do not have