True Blue Ian Ferguson

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a great watch. It's only when you look back at videos like this that you realise the contribution that Fergie made to the most succesful period in our history. 23 winners medals is an incredible tally. As others have said vastly under-rated but a real Ranger in every way...

I remember when he was at Clyde & Craig Brown farmed him out to my local junior team Cambuslang Rangers for a couple of months. 

There he was, a skinny bleach blonde 17year old teenager on the park playing against hardened , seasoned experienced guys who thought they could bully & muscle him out the game , but Fergie was an absolute stand out in his brief period  in the juniors & he was in guys faces , diving in for every fifty fifty ball & giving as good as he got & being head & shoulders better than anyone else on the park. 

I kept an eye on his career when Brown took him back to Clyde & was delighted when he eventually joined Rangers , where as we all know he went on to be a magnificent player for us.  

Great player 

1 hour ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Really under rated. Loved him as a player.

He'd have killed Di Canio up that tunnel.

Thought he played DiCanio like a fish that day. Wound him up till he was ready to explode then walked away leaving DiCanio going ballistic on the pitch.

probably kicked his head in later in the car park.

One of my favourite players and often under rated and seen as just a worker and ball winner but he could hit a mean ball plus ping a pass 40 yards to feet. Must have been a nightmare playing against him when McCall was alongside him because if McCall didn't get you, Ian Ferguson would.

What might he have achieved if he hadn't been injured so often?

I recall the first tie we had against Parma, Veron was running the game for them & we were a distant second.

Fergie came on & absolutely cemented Veron with a hard but fair challenge.

Veron melted, the tide turned & we got back into it.

Then there was his league cup final goal v the sheep, which I never felt got the coverage it deserved.

Another great strike at Love St, which was so long ago it was on Saint & Greavesie!

Notable because a couple of wee ball boys behind the goal ducked!

Great memories, great times!