Kranjcar = Rothen = Capucho

stewaj3

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Watch the first half, at least he tried, which can't be said for many in that side. People who think he was our worst player in that match haven't watched it properly. I admire that he showed desire, it was those around him, apart from Windass, who were lacking.

I don't know why any Rangers fan would want to watch that sheer embarrassment ever again mate :lol: 

Garner was our worst player, never have I seen a forward so unwilling to shut a defender down or make a decent run every now and again, he looked like he couldn't be bothered doing anything, so fucking soul-destroying 

Just now, Gaz52 said:

I don't know why any Rangers fan would want to watch that sheer embarrassment ever again mate :lol: 

I only watched the first half as there was a thread on it that suggested we do this. My son and I watched the first half this evening. I had thought it was even at the time, when I saw it again we were not great at all, but Kranjcar was far from being our worst performer.

That's a bit unfair. Those former two were shysters, no doubt about it but Niko was getting about but like someone has already said his legs have gone. Technically he is the best player in this country by a fair distance. I still think he can make a positive contribution from the bench this season- like the Motherwell game 

I think it's too early to judge, as is the same for all new recruits this season. In terms of technical ability, range of passing, crossing and shooting he still has it. However, he's probably not quite as consistent as he once was, which is natural as you creep towards the twilight of your career. He's never been the fastest player in the world, so whilst he may not be the fastest I don't think that is a major issue insofar as he's never been a speed merchant anyway. Also, I don't think there'd be much between him and say, Barton in a foot race. If he's not getting on the ball as often though, and if he's not quite on it however then of course, he becomes more of a passenger and liability as he's not known for his energy, defensive or tackling abilities. I don't think you can fault him for effort though. He certainly tried, and showed a bit of dig. Sadly he just wasn't as effective as we wanted him to be.

I still think he can offer us something, more so at Ibrox, when it's tight and when we need that extra bit of quality. He has that in his locker. I also don't think we can play with Niko, Barton and Miller. We lack pace, energy, drive and penetration when all 3 play. If we were to play Niko with 5 of the front 6 being any 5 of the following I think he would make a far greater impact: Holt, Halliday, Rossiter, Windass, McKay, Garner, Waghorn, Forrester, MOH and possibly Crooks. If he plays alongside guys with legs, as well as ability, it would be the perfect mix. Used the right way, I think Niko can still become a success for us..........

3 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

I think it's too early to judge, as is the same for all new recruits this season. In terms of technically ability, range of pass, crossing and shooting he still has it. However, he's probably not quite as consistent as he once was, which is natural as your creep towards the twilight of your career. He's never been the fastest player in the world, so whilst he may not be the fasted I don't think that is a major issue insofar as he's never been a speed merchant anyway. Also, I don't think there'd be much between him and say, Barton in a foot race. If he's not getting on the ball as often though, and if he's not quite on it however then of course, he becomes more of a passenger and liability as he's not known for his energy, defensive or tackling abilities. I don't think you can fault him for effort though. He certainly tried, and showed a bit of dig. Sadly he just wasn't as effective as we wanted him to be.

I still think he can offer us something, more so at Ibrox, when it's tight and when we need that extra bit of quality. He has that in his locker. I also don't think we can play with Niko, Barton and Miller. We lack pace, energy, drive and penetration when all 3 play. If we were to play Niko with 5 of the front 6 being any 5 of the following I think he would make a far greater impact: Holt, Halliday, Rossiter, Windass, McKay, Garner, Waghorn, Forrester, MOH and possibly Crooks. If he plays alongside guys with legs, as well as ability, it would be the perfect mix. Used the right way, I think Niko can still become a success for us..........

I've defended Barton in the past because I thought he was developing a role in the midfield, but in that match he was extremely poor. I'd have subbed him and not Kranjcar at half-time, had Kranjcar not already been booked.

Just now, Turnberry18 said:

I've defended Barton in the past because I thought he was developing a role in the midfield, but in that match he was extremely poor. I'd have subbed him at half-time had Kranjcar not already been booked.

I've not watched it back, and appreciate he had a few niggling fouls but the actual booking he got (whilst I appreciate it was for persistent fouling) seemed ridiculously harsh IMO. After the booking though Niko being subbed really was the only option. 

There's no excuses for our poor start to the season however, I think we have been a tad unlucky with our preparation and injuries, and as such we're yet to have a settled side. Again not an excuse, but a reasonable observation IMO. I know it's all about the squad and understand the importance of the front 6 especially, being able to be versatile and have the ability to play in several positions. However, that can also be detrimental and also tricky for new players coming in, not consistently playing in the same position, which of course includes Barton who's been moved around, no matter how experienced he is. Hopefully now that key players like Waghorn, Windass, Holt, etc are back we can maybe get a more settled side, a slightly improved side, which will hopefully allow us to go on a wee run. That also includes the 2 centre halves. Injuries and suspensions permitting, we need to just pick to centre halves and go with it. We can't keep changing them around.......

28 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

Garner was our worst player, never have I seen a forward so unwilling to shut a defender down or make a decent run every now and again, he looked like he couldn't be bothered doing anything, so fucking soul-destroying 

This frustrated me as well but I put this down to Warburton giving him the orders not to.

1 minute ago, Laudrup1984 said:

I've not watched it back, and appreciate he had a few niggling fouls but the actual booking he got (whilst I appreciate it was for persistent fouling) seemed ridiculously harsh IMO. After the booking though Niko being subbed really was the only option. 

There's no excuses for our poor start to the season however, I think we have been a tad unlucky with our preparation and injuries, and as such we're yet to have a settled side. Again not an excuse, but a reasonable observation IMO. I know it's all about the squad and understand the importance of the front 6 especially, being able to be versatile and have the ability to play in several positions. However, that can also be detrimental and also tricky for new players coming in, not consistently playing in the same position, which of course includes Barton who's been moved around, no matter how experienced he is. Hopefully now that key players like Waghorn, Windass, Holt, etc are back we can maybe get a more settled side, a slightly improved side, which will hopefully allow us to go on a wee run. That also includes the 2 centre halves. Injuries and suspensions permitting, we need to just pick to centre halves and go with it. We can't keep changing them around.......

Good post, I agree with all of that. It's pity that Waghorn has been injured at certain crucial times, because he may have made a difference. I would love to see him, Garner, and O'Halloran as a front three, although maybe Waghorn would have to play inside left for that to happen.

I feel like he won't do the simple things. He holds onto the ball for far too long waiting to see if he can make a spectacular pass. An easy fix. He just needs to learn to move the ball quicker. Something that no player in a Rangers shirt has done since April.

Game seemed to quick for him and he just started kicking the cunts. 

The midfield is just too slow. Kranjcar and Barton can't start together. Ball isn't moved quick enough, opponents aren't getting shut down quick enough. Just too fucking slow. 

Last year the midfield was shutting cunts down, moving the ball quick from defence to attack, making clever runs, creating space, we are really missing Jason Holt. 

8 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Good post, I agree with all of that. It's pity that Waghorn has been injured at certain crucial times, because he may have made a difference. I would love to see him, Garner, and O'Halloran as a front three, although maybe Waghorn would have to play inside left for that to happen.

It's unlikely to happen but I'd like to see us mix it up a little and play two up top. Garner and Waghorn through the middle IMO would cause all sorts of problems for anyone. MOH on the right. McKay on the left (if on form) and then 2 of Windass/Forrester/Holt/Rossiter/Niko in the middle. Or even a similar style that big Eck utilised when he was here.

Many may disagree but I really rate a lot of our offensive players. It's just really frustrating when quite a few of them aren't quite on it.  I think if we can somehow find the right formula, the right balance and everything clicks, offensively certainly, we can cause a lot of damage.

8 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

It's unlikely to happen but I'd like to see us mix it up a little and play two up top. Garner and Waghorn through the middle IMO would cause all sorts of problems for anyone. MOH on the right. McKay on the left (if on form) and then 2 of Windass/Forrester/Holt/Rossiter/Niko in the middle. Or even a similar style that big Eck utilised when he was here.

Many may disagree but I really rate a lot of our offensive players. It's just really frustrating when quite a few of them aren't quite on it.  I think if we can somehow find the right formula, the right balance and everything clicks, offensively certainly, we can cause a lot of damage.

There are so many positives to be found in the squad. Windass looks a certain talent, Rossiter is a prospect. Those two at least, and who knows how good Crooks might be. I'm not giving up on Kranjcar, there is a certain honesty and humility about him that I like and he is a skillful footballer. Our forward line is capable of much better that what we saw there. Waghon is crucial to this team, he, Windass, and Forrester have potential to take us far in this league. The defence is the problem area, but maybe once he settles Senderos will offer us something. Tavernier is possibly our best player at the moment, the improvement he has made since the start of the season has been clearly evident, and he shows all the signs of a player who has worked hard to get himself to a new level; Barrie McKay needs to do the same.