Discussion "Mickey Mols" what could have been

Nieto11878

23 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

I'm reading that as referring to Jim  Baxter's leg break in the last minute against Rapid Vienna in the 1964-65 European Cup. 

Man for man we were as good as the tarriers who won it two years later with favourable draws all the way to the final.

Thanks for that.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Nieto11878 said:

Mickey Mols is one of my all time favourite players never seen a guy turn a defence so quick or work centre halfs so much on their own. I have long said had he not got injured we would have been lucky to keep him for another season or two. I am 100% certain that had his injury not been so bad he would have been better than Larsson.

watched highlights of the Bayern Munich games home and away the other week and he ran them ragged on his own what we would do for someone of his quality now.

Better than Larsson anyway ya mickey bastard

10 hours ago, Glasgowrangersafc said:

Would have without doubt been one the best players in rangers history had it not been for that kunt kahn!!

I don't blame Kahn, yeah he came in fully committed but it's because Mols stepped over the goalkeeper in order to prevent injuring him that fucked him. He stepped too far in an unnatural position and pop.

Mols is the best Striker I've seen play for us, he's one of the few players I'd class as genius. It's not just his turn, low centre of balance and unpredictability in what he was going to do next, but if you look at the variety of goals he scored for it shows you how well rounded his huge ability was. 

I was always pissed off at Alex Mcleish for not playing him as much as I wanted him to, I felt at the time with some TLC he could have fully recovered and been the player he once was but I doubt that would have happened even with more game time.

McCoist? Couldn't lace Mol's boots, he was a far greater talent.

10 hours ago, Nieto11878 said:

Mickey Mols is one of my all time favourite players never seen a guy turn a defence so quick or work centre halfs so much on their own. I have long said had he not got injured we would have been lucky to keep him for another season or two. I am 100% certain that had his injury not been so bad he would have been better than Larsson.

watched highlights of the Bayern Munich games home and away the other week and he ran them ragged on his own what we would do for someone of his quality now.

Remember watching him against the jambos at tynecastle, think he scored from nearly on the by line, the guy would have been unbelievable if it wasn't for that big box head cunt khan's "tackle", I think scabby heed Larsson broke his leg the same week as him, I thought at the time Mols would be back before him, he was never the same player again, to think we paid 4 million at the time for him

2 hours ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

Not doubting his ability or denying how good he was to watch. Just saying that if you look at his stats throughout his career there's nothing to suggest that the injury had any huge affect on his ability as a player. We undoubtedly missed out on a few more goals from him as he seemed to have hit a purple patch around that time in his career but when he returned from injury it seemed to be business as usual for him.

Personally I think the claims that he was this world class striker are wide of the mark. 

Sorry but I think you're talking bollocks, but hey, we all just don't like or get a particular player for no real reason now and again. Folk go on about Lovenkrands, I really liked the player, and maybe it's a bit unfair because he was played out of position, but he only seemed to turn it on in Europe or against the scum which was very frustrating. I didn't really rate Gattuso that highly, I thought he was a very good player, but that's it. He was very raw when with us and added real steel - sometimes too much - but again he's a player I just didn't warm to as much as others seemed to.

Mols was jaw droppingly good at times and I've watched the McCoist/Hately era onwards.

5 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

Sorry but I think you're talking bollocks, but hey, we all just don't like or get a particular player for no real reason now and again. Folk go on about Lovenkrands, I really liked the player, and maybe it's a bit unfair because he was played out of position, but he only seemed to turn it on in Europe or against the scum which was very frustrating. I didn't really rate Gattuso that highly, I thought he was a very good player, but that's it. He was very raw when with us and added real steel - sometimes too much - but again he's a player I just didn't warm to as much as others seemed to.

Mols was jaw droppingly good at times and I've watched the McCoist/Hately era onwards.

I'm not denying Mols was a fantastic player for us. I just disagree about this notion that he was world class and we were robbed of seeing him at his best because of that injury. He came back from that injury and still had a decent goal scoring record for us, much the same as he was before the injury.

It's all about opinions though.

1 hour ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

Can you prove otherwise? 

Statistics can be interpreted and twisted to prove whatever you want, in most cases. Rod having a better goal to have ratio does not make him a better player.

You should start a poll to see who the better striker is. I'd wager Mols would get at least 95% of the vote.

It's all about opinions but to regard Wallace as better or at the same  level as Mols makes me think you are at it.

1 minute ago, Dazzler said:

Statistics can be interpreted and twisted to prove whatever you want, in most cases. Rod having a better goal to have ratio does not make him a better player.

You should start a poll to see who the better striker is. I'd wager Mols would get at least 95% of the vote.

It's all about opinions but to regard Wallace as better or at the same  level as Mols makes me think you are at it.

Either that or maybe he never saw him at his absolute best... anyone who did would be way less likely to have those sort of opinions.

36 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

Mols is the best striker we have had.

If he had the same number of games as Ally, I shudder to think of the goals he would score.

Hately was a completely different striker.

2 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

It doesn't. Mols was undoubtedly the better overall player.

You asked me to name a better striker. Strikers are generally judged on goals and Wallace had the better record for us.

1 minute ago, Marky. said:

Either that or maybe he never saw him at his absolute best... anyone who did would be way less likely to have those sort of opinions.

It's the strangest opinion I've read in this forum for a while.

Next we will be comparing Goram to Fod.

3 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

Would you say we may well have won it had Terry Butcher not got injured? I think there is a case for that argument, taking into account that we beat one of the best sides in European football before his injury.

Yes and the main one being Jim Baxter in 1965. 

15 hours ago, Marky. said:

An amazing DVD I used to had, found it on youtube the other night and decided to watch it when I couldn't sleep.

An absolute hero of mine, not just for his footballing ability, but the way he handled himself on and off the park.

The day my dad interrupted his meal to introduce me to my hero is a day I'll never ever forget.

great post bud its now 2:20 am and I'm up at 7!! worth it though, a good watch and anyone in any doubt can see the class that oozed from Mols. There is a goal against Dunfermerline ( after his injury btw) about 50 mins in, if someone asked me what Michaael Mols was all about I would show them that goal, back to goal, check, .....one touch with the left, check, .....turn on a sixpence, check, ....defender on arse, check ...., goal!... check.

a player who was an absolute joy to watch.

1. It wasn't Khan's fault in any way both players were perfectly entitled to go for the ball and unfortunately Mols just got unlucky these things happen in football.

2. People forget Mols was 29 when he got injured. He is made out to be a young wonderkid robbed of his prime, but he was already playing at his very peak it was going to be downhill in form from there regardless.

3 hours ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

1. It wasn't Khan's fault in any way both players were perfectly entitled to go for the ball and unfortunately Mols just got unlucky these things happen in football.

2. People forget Mols was 29 when he got injured. He is made out to be a young wonderkid robbed of his prime, but he was already playing at his very peak it was going to be downhill in form from there regardless.

2 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Mols was excellent but he was nearly 30 when the injury happened.

If he was going to end up playing for a top club in England it would have already happened long before he joined us.

Finally some sense being spoken.