Mccoist And Youths

stewaj3

By default, in all honesty

McKay got in when we barely had a team. As soon as everything settled down, he barely started another match

Would MacLeod have got in the team had McCoist succeeded in signing another midfielder? He wanted to sign a veteran Greek and a German called Fink, but both turned us down (Fink because we wanted him to come on trial first)

Lewis MacLeod was getting picked by A M ahead of Sheils and Templeton, also Fraser Aird got picked ahead of experienced players. I dont think anyone is saying McCoist got it right or that he didnt make mistakes, it just is not true to say he never gave youth a chance he did.

I can remember Kal Naismith, Darren Cole, Kyle Hutton, Andy Mitchell and Barrie McKay playing it the 3rd division, and trust me when we were drawing with the likes of Annan at Ibrox then. No one was pushing for them to remain in position.

Building a team with the correct mix of youth and experience is the most persued teamstyle, have a look at any of the successful teams most have the balance like Chelsea with Terry, Ivanovich and Drogba mixed with Hazard, Oscar and Willian

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in his time as manager he played

Kyle hutton, lewis macleod, Barrie mckay, John fleck, Greg Wylde, calum gallacher, kyle macausland, kane hemmings, andy little (was young and untried when McCoist played him) nicky clark, darren Cole, andy Murdoch, Tom Walsh, ryan hardie, fraser aird, Charlie telfer, Ross perry, hegarty (forgot his first name he was that shite) Andy Mitchell and maybe more....

I think it's a myth that he never gave youth a game.

I think it would just be easier to say he's a shite manager and leave it at that.

Kyle Hutton was given his debut by Walter Smith , a year before Ally became manager

Greg Wylde was given his debut by Walter Smith, 2 years before Ally became manager

John Fleck was given his debut by Walter Smith, 3 years before Ally became manager

Andy Little was given his debut by Walter Smith 2 years before Ally became manager

Nicky Clark scored over 40 goals in the division above and then was not given a sniff by McSalary.

Telfer was given one brief appearance for Rangers

Andy Mitchell was a right midfielder who was played at Right Back by McCoist and won MOTM in his first game, his next game he was shunted out to Left Back and struggled because, he was released shortly after,

It was Chris Heggarty,

Most of the other players you mentioned had their careers damaged by McSalary, The £250 per hour Gardener.

We won the league out the park last year and were playing meaningless games and he still wouldn't play them

END OF THREAD !

He played them when he had no other choice, McCall does it off his own back.

The criticism of McCoist stands, thanks.

Even senior players regressed under mccostalot. lee wallace seems to be starting to enjoy his football again, just one example.

Players look more confident and there appears to be a team spirit developing among the players.

21million quid and three years wasted.

Giving them the odd appearance really isnt the same as giving them a chance.

All players now know that if they are selected and play well then there is every likelihood they will keep their place in the team.

This was never the case for our youths under the dud.

McCoist played quite a few younger players when his hand was forced in SD3 but as soon as the transfer embargo was lifted he wasn't interested in giving any younger player who wasn't already established a real opportunity in the first team.

Maybe if McCoist had given guys like Murdoch, Walsh & Hardie the opportunity that they are getting now six months ago rather than persist with his out of form, uninterested favourites - Foster, Black, Boyd & Smith to name four - then the results would have been better and he would still be in a job.

Would McCoist ever have dropped Miller from a squad and replaced him with an 18 year old? Baed on what we seen over his three and a half year tenure I certainly tdon't think so.

Neither did McCall though. Miller was injured on Saturday.

I thought he was just dropped. Didn't realise he was injured.

I still think the point applies though. McCoist would have been more likely to turn to the Daly, Boyd or Shiels of the squad before he would turn to somebody like Hardie though.

Is Daly injured too or is he just out of favour? Can't remember when the last time he played was.

Playing them in 1 or 2 games when he had no other options is not the same as having faith in them.

They weren't all world beaters but we didn't need the likes of Miller, Black, Boyd, Daly and Simonsen etc for this division. McCall has proved beyond all doubt we already had most of the players we needed.

There was more than enough talent to get us out the 3rd and 2nd divisions. Then if required we could have bolstered the squad to compliment the youths for this season. Some would have fallen by the wayside and others would have come in. That is only natural.

McCoist admitted he wanted a ready made team with little or no effort on the coaching side because he knew he was not up to the job.

Playing them in 1 or 2 games when he had no other options is not the same as having faith in them.

They weren't all world beaters but we didn't need the likes of Miller, Black, Boyd, Daly and Simonsen etc for this division. McCall has proved beyond all doubt we already had most of the players we needed.

There was more than enough talent to get us out the 3rd and 2nd divisions. Then if required we could have bolstered the squad to compliment the youths for this season. Some would have fallen by the wayside and others would have come in. That is only natural.

McCoist admitted he wanted a ready made team with little or no effort on the coaching side because he knew he was not up to the job.

While earning more money than some EPL managers .

I thought he was just dropped. Didn't realise he was injured.

I still think the point applies though. McCoist would have been more likely to turn to the Daly, Boyd or Shiels of the squad before he would turn to somebody like Hardie though.

Is Daly injured too or is he just out of favour? Can't remember when the last time he played was.

Yeah, Miller was out with a minor injury. I'm sure Daly is injured aswell.