Chris Eagles - MultiMerge Thread

Ibroxblue

If the Thomson money was needed for the Eagles move

Then how come the Eagles deal is almost complete before the Thomson deal

The obvious answer would be that we don't actually need the Thomson money.

On a related note--I hate to bring up the Bheggers' activity, but do the signings of Ledley and Suarez put them over the top in the title race? Even if we sign Eagles and maybe a decent 3rd striker?

No.

Since January they have lost Boruc, Kamara, N'Guemo, Caldwell, McManus, Robson, McDonald & Keane and McGeady might still leave too.

That's eight certain first team starters (plus McManus who I actually thought would come back this Summer) whereas of the players we have lost since then only Mendes, Boyd & Thomson were certain to start for us.

There is so much being made of our financial position that the sheer number of big names leaving them is being completly overlooked.

(tu)

Add Braafheid to that list as well.

The fact is that they don't have a recognised keeper (Zaluska is nowhere near as good as Boruc), they have no defence and they have no strikers of note.

They still have a LOT of spending to do.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Thomson money was needed for the Eagles move

Then how come the Eagles deal is almost complete before the Thomson deal

The obvious answer would be that we don't actually need the Thomson money.

On a related note--I hate to bring up the Bheggers' activity, but do the signings of Ledley and Suarez put them over the top in the title race? Even if we sign Eagles and maybe a decent 3rd striker?

No.

Since January they have lost Boruc, Kamara, N'Guemo, Caldwell, McManus, Robson, McDonald & Keane and McGeady might still leave too.

That's eight certain first team starters (plus McManus who I actually thought would come back this Summer) whereas of the players we have lost since then only Mendes, Boyd & Thomson were certain to start for us.

There is so much being made of our financial position that the sheer number of big names leaving them is being completly overlooked.

Agreed. I think the biggest boost this signing (will?) give us is showing the world that we actually can sign players again. I can only hope that Big Kyle can keep up the form he had at the end of the season, and that Eagles can give us the pace and width that Beasley never did.

Personally, I'd go with

McGregor

Whittaker Webster Bougherra Papac

Eagles Davis McCulloch Lafferty

Miller Velicka

I would give davis a free role in our midfield as he is so good at picking up and running with the ball.

Eagles another winger and striker and we're good to go I think. Possibly a RB too?

..............Greegs...............

Whittaker?....Weir/Webster...Bougherra....Papac

Eagles....Davis...McCulloch...NEW

..........Miller...NEW............

Not bad :clap:

I agree with that.

McCulloch though :anguish:

Why so much pessimism regarding big Lee :unsure: Probably our most consistent player last season.I can't think of anyone

( In the SPL) who plays his position better,and It wouldn't surprise me if his was the first name Walter pencils in on

his team sheet,and don't forget Davis is on record,implying that McCulloch the guy he wants beside him.

That means nothing. The best interviewer in the world couldn't get Davis to say 'aye, I'd actually rather have big Mo than McCulloch', even if he felt like that.

But I agree that people are probably too harsh on McCulloch. I still think Edu is the better player and better athlete though, and if both are on top form, it's Edu all day.

McCulloch's experienced, strong and comfy in four or five positions and therefore an excellent option from the bench.

If Edu could just hurry his game up a tad,I may just agree with you .But until then It's big reliable Lee for me. (tu)

Personally, I'd go with

McGregor

Miller Velicka

I would give davis a free role in our midfield as he is so good at picking up and running with the ball.

[/quot

You really think Velicka can come back and contribute?

Eagles another winger and striker and we're good to go I think. Possibly a RB too?

I agree with that.

Why so much pessimism regarding big Lee :unsure: Probably our most consistent player last season.I can't think of anyone

( In the SPL) who plays his position better,and It wouldn't surprise me if his was the first name Walter pencils in on

his team sheet,and don't forget Davis is on record,implying that McCulloch the guy he wants beside him.

That means nothing. The best interviewer in the world couldn't get Davis to say 'aye, I'd actually rather have big Mo than McCulloch', even if he felt like that.

But I agree that people are probably too harsh on McCulloch. I still think Edu is the better player and better athlete though, and if both are on top form, it's Edu all day.

McCulloch's experienced, strong and comfy in four or five positions and therefore an excellent option from the bench.

If Edu could just hurry his game up a tad,I may just agree with you .But until then It's big reliable Lee for me. (tu)

our strike force is dire

I agree with that.

our strike force is dire

The same strikeforce that done the job when Boyd was out injured then out of form when he came back ? okay pal.

It's odd that other clubs aren't out bidding us on such a talent.

It's because he hasn't put in a transfer request and he has a year left on his deal. Burnley probably realize that if they don't sell to us then they might not get anything come this time next year.

But, since we're interested in him, it means that Celtic will be bidding momentarily.

don't forget Davis is on record,implying that McCulloch the guy he wants beside him.

On record where? :lol:

The only person I have ever heard making this claim is you.

In an interview( I watched personally) on BLUES NEWS and he definitely implied he's most comfortable when Big Lee

is by his side.

don't forget Davis is on record,implying that McCulloch the guy he wants beside him.

On record where? :lol:

The only person I have ever heard making this claim is you.

In an interview( I watched personally) on BLUES NEWS and he definitely implied he's most comfortable when Big Lee

is by his side.

Personally, I'd go with

McGregor

Miller Velicka

[/quot

Yup. I honestly think he can.

He didn't do too badly before he got injured. 5 goals in 6 games including an absolute stunner at Easter Road.

I think people are being way too harsh on him.

Personally, I'd go with

McGregor

Miller Velicka

He can still get that.

McCulloch does the dirty work that allows Davis to play and he will have options and width with Eagles and Lafferty each side of him and Miller ahead of him.

Personally, I'd go with

McGregor

Miller Velicka

[/quot

Yup. I honestly think he can.

He didn't do too badly before he got injured. 5 goals in 6 games including an absolute stunner at Easter Road.

I think people are being way too harsh on him.

I really hope you're right, mate. Baring us picking up another striker, we're going to need all the help we can get.

I also think McCulloch and Edu can pick up the slack and put in some goals from midfield--plus we could always go back to the 4-5-1 and see what Kenny can do on his own.

It's because he hasn't put in a transfer request and he has a year left on his deal. Burnley probably realize that if they don't sell to us then they might not get anything come this time next year.

But, since we're interested in him, it means that Celtic will be bidding momentarily.

Oh right, so EPL clubs, to whom he's been exposed all last season won't try to buy him because he hasn't put in a transfer request. I never realised there was such a corinthian spirit down there.

One more thing that makes this signing interesting is the fact that Eagles typically plays on the right side...meaning that Davis would move somewhere else. Would Stevie move to the left, or would Flecky go to the left and Davis move into his preferred central midfield?

Oh right, so EPL clubs, to whom he's been exposed all last season won't try to buy him because he hasn't put in a transfer request. I never realised there was such a corinthian spirit down there.

Or they just know something that we don't...

I agree with that.

well said

(tu)