The official "Takeover Completed" thread

Muff

Documents have been signed that should allow the ownership of Rangers to be transferred from Sir David Murray to Craig Whyte.

And, with the paperwork now being checked by the independent Takeover Panel, the deal could be approved by midnight on Friday.

The parties involved had worked through the night to try to finalise details.

Whyte arrived in Edinburgh on Thursday morning, hoping to conclude the purchase of Murray's shares.

However, "technical issues" further delayed the completion of a takeover, which has already rumbled on for six months.

Motherwell-born Whyte has agreed terms with Murray to buy his 85% share in the club and to pay off Rangers' £22m debt.

Rangers chairman Alastair Johnston had told BBC Scotland on Thursday afternoon that he expected Whyte to complete his proposed takeover of the club within 24 hours.

Whyte, a London-based venture capitalist, has been negotiating with Rangers since mid-November but has been in Scotland's capital in an attempt to finally conclude the deal.

Continue reading the main story

I'm confident that the efforts of the board have improved the deal significantly for the benefit of the club

Alastair Johnston Rangers chairman

Johnston, who confirmed that he is to stand down as chairman later this month, insisted he had no regrets about raising concerns over the deal.

He is part of an independent sub-committee of board members that questioned Whyte's long-term plans for the Ibrox club.

On 19 April, Johnston released a statement casting doubts about the level of investment coming from Whyte and asking for time to consider an alternative.

A week later, Johnston made something of a U-turn, saying: "The committee are now much closer to viewing Craig Whyte's bid as the right one for Rangers."

And now the committee, who only ever had limited powers to delay the deal, no longer stand in the way.

"A great deal of work has been done by the board and I'm very proud of that," said Johnston.

"I'm confident that the efforts of the board have improved the deal significantly for the benefit of the club.

"Our views will come out in the future and I'm comfortable with that, but I don't want to stand in the way of progress.

"I will resign as intended on 16 May but will be working hard until then to make sure Rangers secure the SPL title.

"After that, I will go back to being the club's number one fan."

One of Whyte's early promises was to provide £25m over five seasons towards strengthening the playing squad.

However, a source close to the negotiations told BBC Scotland in early April that the businessman had decided to make available "significantly more" than the average sum of £5m-a-season to Ally McCoist when he succeeds current manager Walter Smith at the start of next term.

The terms of the proposed takeover will see Murray receive £6m, the amount he paid to take over at Ibrox in 1988.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13292829.stm

I want it over so I can get my life back. Arguments with the Gf all the time cause am on checking this every 5 mins. Don't know what il do with my days now lol

I know I'm thick as pig shit, but why is there a need for a takeover panel? it's Murray's club and he's agreed the deal. Why don't they just shake and sign? call me old fashioned.

Or is it a legality? is it some independent legal team that have to dot the i's and cross the t's?

its to make sure that its all been done in accordance with the stock exchange rules and the paper work is legal ect ect ect

I want it over so I can get my life back. Arguments with the Gf all the time cause am on checking this every 5 mins. Don't know what il do with my days now lol

same mate dunno what i do now this is done lol

Sportsound on BBC Radio Scotland

Craig Whyte and Sir David Murray have signed the deal to complete the takeover of Rangers - and it should be ratified by the Takeover panel this evening. Whyte has been in negotiations to buy Murray's 85% shareholding for months. The venture capitalist has promised to invest 25 million pounds in the squad over the next five years. :crabflute:

♪♫ 5 minutes and you're almost there... ♫♪

or

♪ something better change ...♫♫

so many apt Stranglers tracks

one for the pessimists...

♫ Nice 'n' Sleazy...♫♪

Golden Son?

I know I'm thick as pig shit, but why is there a need for a takeover panel? it's Murray's club and he's agreed the deal. Why don't they just shake and sign? call me old fashioned.

Or is it a legality? is it some independent legal team that have to dot the i's and cross the t's?

Somebody independent has tae check the pots, or rather that there's something in the pots.

SSN just said the Whyte has failed to buy the club today.

I dont know what to believe.

I know. They get their stories wrong sometimes aswell. They got our debt levels wrong when the half yearly accounts were published.

Have faith!!

SSN are saying he's failed in his bid to takeover today :disappointment:

The fact that the takeover panel are looking at it this evening, means that it will be done tonight IF they see no issues, as they do not need the market open for the sale to be rubber stamped. The transfer of shares will have to wait until Monday but the announcement can be made tonight or tomorrow.