English Football

Clemdog

Just now, KingKirk said:

Agree will gary here clearly offside is not up for debate.

My issue is if it's your big toe that's off we should give the goal big difference between that and clear offside tho like that Chelsea goal

They’re talking about a 10cm leeway which is maybe fair 

1 minute ago, KingKirk said:

Agree will gary here clearly offside is not up for debate.

My issue is if it's your big toe that's off we should give the goal big difference between that and clear offside tho like that Chelsea goal

Neither was the red card tbf and they made a cunt of that.

4 minutes ago, ben51 said:

Absolutely hate VAR.

Everything is scrutinised to the mm when it's offside, yet a potential red card the referee doesn't come over and check it on the screen?! :lol: 

Total nonsense. So lenient in one sense and hyper critical int he other.

Why didn't VAR just tell the ref it was a red forget the monitor

Just now, hammer93 said:

It's supposed to be for clear and obvious errors.....the only clear and obvious error was Maguires kick out which wasn't checked....it makes the system flawed and wrong

Am not really a fan of it tbh but I don’t think the offside section of it is for clear and obvious error, that side of it is for precision. 

1 minute ago, born a blue nose said:

So take away var for offsides basically then? 

The tight offside calls yes. Like your toe or armpit being off. Clear offside like Chelsea 2nd goal no debate about that.

Chelsea get a point if it wasn't for var tonight and that wouldn't of been fair given how obvious the 2errors where

3 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

Am not really a fan of it tbh but I don’t think the offside section of it is for clear and obvious error, that side of it is for precision. 

That's the point, there is no way a linesman can call that so it's not clear and obvious.....we say we want it up here but only if it works the way it should 

6 hours ago, hammer93 said:

It's supposed to be for clear and obvious errors.....the only clear and obvious error was Maguires kick out which wasn't checked....it makes the system flawed and wrong

The Maguire incident was checked and the VAR officials said no red card. It doesn't get announced if its a negative check but not a goal.

VAR was supposed to be for 'clear and obvious' errors. The offside nonsense is way beyond that. They are taking minimal calls. If they stick to the 'clear and obvious' principle then I'd have less of an issue.

The 10-15cm leeway is basically like Umpires Call in cricket - it is probably what needs to happen. 15cm is half a foot which is probably ample leeway. Sat at my desk with  trainers on, putting a ruler to my feet 15cm takes me from where my toe is, to where my laces start. Should go with the on field decision if the error is within that margin.

There is nothing wrong with VAR, it probably is good for the game - however the way it is implemented just now is stupid, and far far far too forensic.