Thoughts on Neymar as a player?

Gaz52

I know it's hard to see past the money involved in his transfer..

But try and ignore it for a minute

How do you rate him as a player? 

He's achieved a lot already and he's only 25. He can be a genius with the ball at his feet, he's a great finisher, can hit free kicks, can dribble past players, can pick out a pass. He can be a joy to watch IMO. 

He dives a lot though and can be a bit baw-greedy, makes poor decisions sometimes IMO. 

I've said for a while though I reckon he'll be the next Ballon d'Or winner after Messi & Ronaldo, although I don't know what kind of impact it'll have on him as a player now he'll be playing in France.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great player. 

I'm not even saying he's not worth 195-million when you see guys like Matic going for 40-million and the type of guys Chelsea and Man City seem to buy all the time for 30-40-million. 

However, I don't think he'd ever get to the levels of Messi or Ronaldo. He's up there but just not quite on a par. 

He is excellent.

Sure, Messi and Ronaldo have raised the bar to unseen levels and relegated mere world class players to meh. I am not sure we will ever see 2 players so far ahead of the rest, for a period of 6-7yrs, ever again in our life time.

In almost any other era he would be considered one of the very best and have multiple awards to back it up.

3 hours ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Potential to be the best in the world, not sure PSG is the place to do it though.

At 25 he's still got plenty of time to improve and he's arguably better already than Ronaldo was at that age.

I'd like to see this argument for Neymar being better than Ronaldo at 25. 

3 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

C385wm9UMAAhnav.jpg

Wonder what Ronaldo's stats would be like if he played in the Brazilian league too? 

EDIT - BTW, there is not an argument to be made for Neymar being better than Ronaldo at 25 at all.

4 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

I wouldn't know. You asked to see the argument so I showed you.

Once you've got your excuse for the international goals I'll be happy to read that too.

Excuse hahah wit. Ronaldo had been crowned World Player of the Year at 25, Neymar has only been in the Best XI once at his current age ffs. Not to mention they've won a comparable amount of silverware despite Neymar playing in front of Iniesta & Xavi and with the best front three in modern football.

You're argument is absolute shite if that's it, must mean Arthur Friedenreich is the best player ever because he's scored the most goals ever whilst playing in the abject Brazillian league. 

My "excuse" for the international goals is that Neymar is better for Brazil than Ronaldo is for Portugal, there you go. Neymar is better when both were 25 and he's better when when Ronaldo is 32. 

9 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Imagine if the type of money sloshing about these days was on the go when we had Ally in top form ?

I quite often winder what our best ever players would be worth in today's market. It's an interesting thought

8 minutes ago, RDFM said:

Excuse hahah wit. Ronaldo had been crowned World Player of the Year at 25, Neymar has only been in the Best XI once at his current age ffs. Not to mention they've won a comparable amount of silverware despite Neymar playing in front of Iniesta & Xavi and with the best front three in modern football.

You're argument is absolute shite if that's it, must mean Arthur Friedenreich is the best player ever because he's scored the most goals ever whilst playing in the abject Brazillian league. 

My "excuse" for the international goals is that Neymar is better for Brazil than Ronaldo is for Portugal, there you go. Neymar is better when both were 25 and he's better when when Ronaldo is 32. 

Ok, take the Brazilian league out of the equation. Neymar joined Barca at 21. Between the age of 21 and 25 Neymar has more goals than Ronaldo.

Arguably better than him at 25. Ronaldo now is miles ahead though. It's not impossible that Neymar could reach that level though.

Then again he might go to PSG and flop, that's the thing about potential. You never know how it'll work out.

2 minutes ago, Goianegra said:

I quite often winder what our best ever players would be worth in today's market. It's an interesting thought

It seems a bit ridiculous to type it, but Laudrup and Davie Cooper would surely be up there with the best.  

Decent CBs are a pretty rare commodity these days and with the good ones going for £25-£40m now you have to wonder about Butcher and Gough.

You could go on all night wondering about this :lol:

1 minute ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Ok, take the Brazilian league out of the equation. Neymar joined Barca at 21. Between the age of 21 and 25 Neymar has more goals than Ronaldo.

Arguably better than him at 25. Ronaldo now is miles ahead though. It's not impossible that Neymar could reach that level though.

Then again he might go to PSG and flop, that's the thing about potential. You never know how it'll work out.

Take the Brazilian league out of the equation all you like, bit I'm not sure why you'd take Ronaldo's PL seasons out the equation too unless it was to align with your narrative, I mean, it's hardly a mark against Ronaldo that he decided to leave his poverty league at a young age as opposed to stat padding in it.

Ronaldo is the second best player of all time, Neymar will never reach that level.