Morelos vs Ross County analysis

Guest Lloyd72

Guest Lloyd72

https://www.esdfanalysis.com/player-analysis/alfredo-morelos/amp/

Alfredo Morelos vs Ross County

Alfredo Morelos arrived at Ibrox in the summer transfer window with a prolific scoring record in Finland and a fair amount of interest. Could he produce the goods in a stronger league in Scotland? Let’s take a look at his season so far.

Previous

Morelos was a second half substitute in Rangers’ season opener at Motherwell, however, Caixinha gave him a starting berth in the home opener against Hibs. Morelos smashed a header in after three minutes but despite this Rangers then got a man sent off late in the first half which led to Morelos chasing pairs of boots for the rest of the game

Next up was Hearts. Hearts played with a low block which restricted Morelos to 0 shots in the game from open play and a pretty drab performance on the whole. Not for the lack of trying but Morelos had very little service hence the very little output. Morelos breakout game came at Dingwall on Rangers’ visit to play Ross County. 

Build Up vs County

Rangers have struggled to play through the thirds from the back through to front so when options were scarce Bruno Alves and Fabio Cardoso amongst others would look for the dropping Morelos to take the ball into feet or knock it on to advancing players. Morelos showed a fantastic appetite in fighting off two pretty aggressive centre backs, at times dominating in the air. Morelos doesn’t have a particularly dominant frame, however, he has a tremendous low centre of gravity when taking the ball to feet which acts as a brick wall to defenders trying to regain the ball. 

Creation vs County

Kenny Miller tends to play the deeper of the striker partnership, expected to drop into holes behind the opposition midfield and link the play. Morelos the more traditional number nine of the pair tends to play between the width of the 18-yard box ready to pounce at any point. Certainly, in the first half, Morelos showed a willingness to drop a little deeper and play short passes to the likes of Candeias and Tavernier so they could put crosses into the box. One moment, in particular, he dropped to play a simple pass but dragged an opposing centre back with him which exposed the space in behind the defence but the pass was too strong. In the second half, Morelos looked to help expose this further with an advancing Ross County back line. In many instances, he broke wide or slightly deeper to accept a ball where the end game didn’t have Morelos shooting in mind.

In the 49th minute after a rather poor first touch, Morelos showed the composure to re-set himself then play an astutely weighted ball for Kranjcar to take in his stride in a promising position but sadly blaze the shot over the bar. Seven minutes later again a direct ball was flicked on by Morelos but to no avail, as Niko Kranjcar failed to anticipate him knocking it on which would have led to the Croatian being through on goal with just Scott Fox in goal to beat. 

Morelos’ final creative involvement was arguably his most pleasing, in the 77th minute Rangers pierced County open through Herrera linking the play to the on rushing Pena who then combined with Morelos for a shot on goal. Most impressive was not the through ball creating the chance but the chess match with the centre back beforehand. It maybe went unseen on the camera shot but Morelos fools Davies by starting to run behind the defence into space then cuts it short to receive the ball from Pena and then play him in. From open play, Morelos had the highest Expected Assist and Expected Goal for Rangers in what was an impressive outing in only his third league start.

Morelos’ final creative involvement was arguably his most pleasing, in the 77th minute Rangers pierced County open through Herrera linking the play to the on rushing Pena who then combined with Morelos for a shot on goal. Most impressive was not the through ball creating the chance but the chess match with the centre back beforehand. Maybe off camera shot but Morelos fools Davies by starting to run behind the defence into space then cuts it short to receive the ball from Pena and then play him in. From open play, Morelos had the highest Expected Assist and Expected Goal totals for Rangers in what was an impressive outing in his third league start.

Shots vs County

Shots have been few and far between in Morelos three starts this season with only 4 shots from open play which all came in this game at Dingwall. Morelos started with a flash more than a bang when after 15 seconds he had a wild shot after winning an aerial duel. A signal of intent.

In and around the box Morelos’ has tunnel vision – he’s shooting and who can blame him? The best instance of this was in the 27th minute when after neat build up play Morelos could’ve have slipped a through ball through to Kenny Miller for a terrific chance but chose to take an extra touch and shoot himself which was blocked. Strikers choosing low probability shots over passing to players in better positions – some things never change.

Morelos scored his first league goal from open play of the season around the half hour mark when after terrific wing play by Daniel Candeias, James Tavernier reached the byline and cut a high floated cross to the centre of the box where Morelos pretty much stood still and waited then generated a powerful downward header into the back of the net. Ten minutes later Scott Fox took an age to clear the ball in what will be one of the gaffes of the season which let Morelos dispossess him and place the ball into an empty net. An almost laughable mistake but Morelos consistently pressurises the back four of opponents which usually leads to fouls or winning the ball back. His hard work paid off this time.

Feed El Bufalo

Morelos was superb in all facets of the game in only his third start and at twenty-one years old Rangers look to have an asset on their hands on and off the park. Going forward, Rangers have to find him in the box as often as possible as like any number 9 he needs chances.

Alfredo Morelos may just be the number 9 Rangers fans have been craving. Feed El Bufalo and he will score.

3 hours ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Would genuinely be more interested in similar analysis of Miller to see if it can identify things that are having a positive impact but that are going unnoticed.

you mean like claiming his pension and making sarnies at lunch time?

6 minutes ago, Malvern said:

you mean like claiming his pension and making sarnies at lunch time?

??

Nah I'm serious.

I'm the first to slate him and his contribution, and see him offering little but getting in the way loads.

I'd actually love to see a proper tactical analysis of his impact on our play.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's the odd thing I miss that is positive, especially when I know I focus on his negatives. Would love to see a neutral critical analysis of how he's actually done so far this season, good or bad.

1 minute ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

??

Nah I'm serious.

I'm the first to slate him and his contribution, and see him offering little but getting in the way loads.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's the odd thing I miss that is positive, especially when I know I focus on his negatives. Would love to see a neutral critical analysis of how he's actually done so far this season, good or bad.

I like the man, his attitude and willingness to run about a load but doing what?

It is about time we actually accepted the fact that he is too old for anything other than an impact sub and he has to start on the bench until the opponents are sodding tired and need someone willing to run about UP FRONT to snatch a goal.

Starting him is just not working for me at all and it is no disrespect to him, as I do genuinely like his attitude, but he is fighting age and we are fighting for points. Points make prizes not age.

Guest Lloyd72
3 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

??

Nah I'm serious.

The problem with Miller is he's not good enough for the role he's been given but a lot of good chances are falling to him so the manager has to decide wether he keeps Miller in and hopes he starts taking them chances or put someone else in and those chances might not fall to them

I never realised that he was still so young. Him, Pena, and Herrera, could be real assets for us in the coming seasons.

I do believe that if we can get our squad playing at their best, we have a chance of winning something.

We may still be light years behind the taigs, but if our current squad can perform at their best, frequently, we may not need to replace a whole team yet again, at the end of the season.

We really need a period of calm. Let others ride the Rollercoaster for a change, I'm sick of it. ??

How that's all he had to write about his performance against Hearts i'll never know. The wee man was brilliant holding it up and gave Berra a torrid time despite being half his size. Not to mention the fact he scored which got disallowed incorrectly.

Agree with most in this thread, not really much point to these kind of articles it's all opinion and subjective. 

7 hours ago, Thewhitesettler said:

I never realised that he was still so young. Him, Pena, and Herrera, could be real assets for us in the coming seasons.

I do believe that if we can get our squad playing at their best, we have a chance of winning something.

We may still be light years behind the taigs, but if our current squad can perform at their best, frequently, we may not need to replace a whole team yet again, at the end of the season.

We really need a period of calm. Let others ride the Rollercoaster for a change, I'm sick of it. ??

I wouldn't worry about it mate, it's all hype surrounding celtic, I don't buy into the crap they're lightyears ahead of us, far from it. I think even at this stage our squad is only going to improve in performances as the season rolls on. The likes of Peña will no doubt improve and the little training I saw of Declan John looks a decent player, so I'll be looking forward to things, the team will grow a stronger understanding the more time goes on. 

21 hours ago, Lloyd72 said:

https://www.esdfanalysis.com/player-analysis/alfredo-morelos/amp/

Alfredo Morelos vs Ross County

Alfredo Morelos arrived at Ibrox in the summer transfer window with a prolific scoring record in Finland and a fair amount of interest. Could he produce the goods in a stronger league in Scotland? Let’s take a look at his season so far.

Previous

Morelos was a second half substitute in Rangers’ season opener at Motherwell, however, Caixinha gave him a starting berth in the home opener against Hibs. Morelos smashed a header in after three minutes but despite this Rangers then got a man sent off late in the first half which led to Morelos chasing pairs of boots for the rest of the game

Next up was Hearts. Hearts played with a low block which restricted Morelos to 0 shots in the game from open play and a pretty drab performance on the whole. Not for the lack of trying but Morelos had very little service hence the very little output. Morelos breakout game came at Dingwall on Rangers’ visit to play Ross County. 

Build Up vs County

Rangers have struggled to play through the thirds from the back through to front so when options were scarce Bruno Alves and Fabio Cardoso amongst others would look for the dropping Morelos to take the ball into feet or knock it on to advancing players. Morelos showed a fantastic appetite in fighting off two pretty aggressive centre backs, at times dominating in the air. Morelos doesn’t have a particularly dominant frame, however, he has a tremendous low centre of gravity when taking the ball to feet which acts as a brick wall to defenders trying to regain the ball. 

Creation vs County

Kenny Miller tends to play the deeper of the striker partnership, expected to drop into holes behind the opposition midfield and link the play. Morelos the more traditional number nine of the pair tends to play between the width of the 18-yard box ready to pounce at any point. Certainly, in the first half, Morelos showed a willingness to drop a little deeper and play short passes to the likes of Candeias and Tavernier so they could put crosses into the box. One moment, in particular, he dropped to play a simple pass but dragged an opposing centre back with him which exposed the space in behind the defence but the pass was too strong. In the second half, Morelos looked to help expose this further with an advancing Ross County back line. In many instances, he broke wide or slightly deeper to accept a ball where the end game didn’t have Morelos shooting in mind.

In the 49th minute after a rather poor first touch, Morelos showed the composure to re-set himself then play an astutely weighted ball for Kranjcar to take in his stride in a promising position but sadly blaze the shot over the bar. Seven minutes later again a direct ball was flicked on by Morelos but to no avail, as Niko Kranjcar failed to anticipate him knocking it on which would have led to the Croatian being through on goal with just Scott Fox in goal to beat. 

Morelos’ final creative involvement was arguably his most pleasing, in the 77th minute Rangers pierced County open through Herrera linking the play to the on rushing Pena who then combined with Morelos for a shot on goal. Most impressive was not the through ball creating the chance but the chess match with the centre back beforehand. It maybe went unseen on the camera shot but Morelos fools Davies by starting to run behind the defence into space then cuts it short to receive the ball from Pena and then play him in. From open play, Morelos had the highest Expected Assist and Expected Goal for Rangers in what was an impressive outing in only his third league start.

Morelos’ final creative involvement was arguably his most pleasing, in the 77th minute Rangers pierced County open through Herrera linking the play to the on rushing Pena who then combined with Morelos for a shot on goal. Most impressive was not the through ball creating the chance but the chess match with the centre back beforehand. Maybe off camera shot but Morelos fools Davies by starting to run behind the defence into space then cuts it short to receive the ball from Pena and then play him in. From open play, Morelos had the highest Expected Assist and Expected Goal totals for Rangers in what was an impressive outing in his third league start.

Shots vs County

Shots have been few and far between in Morelos three starts this season with only 4 shots from open play which all came in this game at Dingwall. Morelos started with a flash more than a bang when after 15 seconds he had a wild shot after winning an aerial duel. A signal of intent.

In and around the box Morelos’ has tunnel vision – he’s shooting and who can blame him? The best instance of this was in the 27th minute when after neat build up play Morelos could’ve have slipped a through ball through to Kenny Miller for a terrific chance but chose to take an extra touch and shoot himself which was blocked. Strikers choosing low probability shots over passing to players in better positions – some things never change.

Morelos scored his first league goal from open play of the season around the half hour mark when after terrific wing play by Daniel Candeias, James Tavernier reached the byline and cut a high floated cross to the centre of the box where Morelos pretty much stood still and waited then generated a powerful downward header into the back of the net. Ten minutes later Scott Fox took an age to clear the ball in what will be one of the gaffes of the season which let Morelos dispossess him and place the ball into an empty net. An almost laughable mistake but Morelos consistently pressurises the back four of opponents which usually leads to fouls or winning the ball back. His hard work paid off this time.

Feed El Bufalo

Morelos was superb in all facets of the game in only his third start and at twenty-one years old Rangers look to have an asset on their hands on and off the park. Going forward, Rangers have to find him in the box as often as possible as like any number 9 he needs chances.

Alfredo Morelos may just be the number 9 Rangers fans have been craving. Feed El Bufalo and he will score.

Am I missing something here ?  If IT was his complete stats From the game time the Kid has had then superb but this IS one guys view of whats been said on this forum after every game.

9 hours ago, RFCRobertson said:

Well done you just caught into a months old jokes. I bet you can even count to 10 as well. 

9 hours ago, RFCRobertson said:

Well done you just caught onto a months old joke, that many other users have made in a better way.:cheers:

Weird.