Dundee United

Escobar

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the BBC 3 web site

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/68c9c99d-c9d8-4857-96dd-b10336e2118e

Dundee United - Nigeria

Dundee United is synonymous with “idiot” in parts of Nigeria where Yoruba is spoken. I wasn’t able to establish with 100% accuracy where this had come from, but it seems to have come from a tour of Nigeria that Dundee United went on in 1972, when they prepared really badly, the weather was really hot, the players got sick, there were injuries and the pitches were no good. Because they complained about it so much, this culminated in the Dundee United name being taken in vain.

I couldn’t believe that when I came across it. It was written on a website and I spoke to people in Nigeria who confirmed it anecdotally.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, ben51 said:

Typical Robbie Neilson. 

Just makes his sides physical and punts long balls up to them. No surprise a lower league side can deal with them. 

To be honest Ben I was completely surprised to see Arbroath are 4th in the Championship!?:facepalm:  Still, glad Utd were pumped oot!!:dance:

1 hour ago, SteveEarle said:

To be honest Ben I was completely surprised to see Arbroath are 4th in the Championship!?:facepalm:  Still, glad Utd were pumped oot!!:dance:

Always good to see them beaten. However they are looking good in the league and signing Shankland was a massive boost for them. Cunts deadly at that level 

Funny thing is wae teams in the lower leagues is the majority that do well have players that are just very good for that level, either better than it or just decided that’s the level they’ll play at to do something for their careers after football. 

Arbroath- Bobby Linn

Cove Rangers- Mitch Megginson

Peterhead- Derek Lyle and Rory McAllister. 

Always advocated we should’ve signed players that knew the lower leagues, I.E the league above what we were playing in instead of the absolute charlatans we did sign back in the day. Honestly feel like we’d have done better if we did

Just now, Prso's headband said:

Funny thing is wae teams in the lower leagues is the majority that do well have players that are just very good for that level, either better than it or just decided that’s the level they’ll play at to do something for their careers after football. 

Arbroath- Bobby Linn

Always advocated we should’ve signed players that knew the lower leagues, I.E the league above what we were playing in instead of the absolute charlatans we did sign back in the day. Honestly feel like we’d have done better if we did

Thing is it’s a tough call, I lived down south through my school years till I was 35 so never had the opportunity to play here, played for Brighton and orient at youth level but never made it, ended up decent level at Eastbourne borough, almost made div 2 in my final year playing. Would have crucified the club though as it would have had to go from amateur to pro over night. 

Thats the thing with some players at Arbroath etc level, get paid a few quid and stay part time, especially if your on decent money in your day job, for example say I’m on £50k a year but Dundee united want me to sign pro for them but offer me £500 a week it’s no going to happen 

7 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Arbroath- Bobby Linn

Should 100% took shankland on a free ffs. Still can’t work out why that didn’t make sense 

your right though, signing cunts like sandaza and Kyle when we could have snapped up players in that league for buttons that would have died  for the chance. Especially defenders when we were signing that Brazilian dud I’d tried to forget so much I can’t remember his name lol 

1 minute ago, 1690tamRFC said:

Thing is it’s a tough call, I lived down south through my school years till I was 35 so never had the opportunity to play here, played for Brighton and orient at youth level but never made it, ended up decent level at Eastbourne borough, almost made div 2 in my final year playing. Would have crucified the club though as it would have had to go from amateur to pro over night. 

Thats the thing with some players at Arbroath etc level, get paid a few quid and stay part time, especially if your on decent money in your day job, for example say I’m on £50k a year but Dundee united want me to sign pro for them but offer me £500 a week it’s no going to happen 

Aye exactly. You get players at lower leagues in Scotland with surprisingly level heads who realise football isn’t forever and try to do something useful for life outside of football. The majority of those that I mentioned are in that category, just feel if we’d offered players like that 1k a week they’d have jumped at it and imo would’ve done a much better job than the absolute nonsense we were subject too in league 2 and league 1 even although we went unbeaten in the league

1 minute ago, Prso's headband said:

Aye exactly. You get players at lower leagues in Scotland with surprisingly level heads who realise football isn’t forever and try to do something useful for life outside of football. The majority of those that I mentioned are in that category, just feel if we’d offered players like that 1k a week they’d have jumped at it and imo would’ve done a much better job than the absolute nonsense we were subject too in league 2 and league 1 even although we went unbeaten in the league

All day long bud. I know I will never honestly believe some of the figures banded about for what we supposedly paid cunts, I just can’t believe we paid Kevin Kyle £5k a week ffs. He wax reportedly in some tarrier pub in Kirkie the week before saying he’d never sign, his agent called and said ally offered him that ffs. Brakes my heart to think about it 

5 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Steven Dobee would have paid us to play for us and scored twice the goals any cunt would have coming through the leagues ffs 

10 hours ago, 1690tamRFC said:

Steven Dobee would have paid us to play for us and scored twice the goals any cunt would have coming through the leagues ffs 

I bet you in his whole career no one has ever spelt his name like that. 

10 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

Arbroath- Bobby Linn

Fraser Fyvie also plays for Cove. 

Archived