Scotsman article

Former Rangers star Craig Moore sacked over orange strip row

Published: 12:50Saturday 27 January 2018

Rangers defender Craig Moore has been sacked as Brisbane Roar director of football - in a row about kits.

Craig Moore in action for Rangers. Picture: SNS GROUP

The Australian defender won 12 trophies during his two spells at Ibrox, including five SPL titles and four Scottish Cups.

Moore went on to play for Newcastle United and Brisbane before rejoining the A-League club in his present role.

The 42-year-old said earlier this month he would leave Roar, but stay until March to help with players’ contracts.

But the Aussie club has now axed Sydney-born Moore after the fiasco of their midweek AFC Champions League clash with Philippines minnows Ceres-Negros.

Several players had to change shirts midway through the 3-2 home defeat as the squad numbers peeled off their backs, with some using tape to improvise numbers as there were no replacement strips available.

Roar vice-chairman Chris Fong fumed: “We have a football director, and the buck stops with him.

“I was flabbergasted by the images I saw of the game. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

“It is disgusting that we could allow ourselves to be brought down to this level. It is indicative of what has gone on behind the scenes.”

Moore confirmed to a local newspaper that Fong has put him on leave for the remainder of his notice period.

Roar said in a statement: “The club understands the result against Ceres-Negros FC was disappointing, and the performance was unacceptable.

“We have always worn our orange jersey with pride. [On Tuesday] our club disappointed many people, and embarrassed ourselves with the presentation and numbering on our jersey.

“This was not the fault of BRFC kit manufacturer Umbro, and we are unreservedly apologetic.”

Moore was tipped to return to Rangers as a director of football last year.’

Useful Links

Edinburgh Evening News

Readers Charter

© 2018 Johnston Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.

That headline and the article are a disgrace it insinuate the reason Craig was let go on leave was because the shirts are orange. It is because the kits fell apart during a game.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, DennyBlueNose said:

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be offended about, if what happened was caused by Moore's negligence then he deserved to go. 

It's the linking the orange kit too us and that is the only reason for the article being published 

Click bait classic that ...followed by a load of comments from tarriers under the article no doubt also why any cunt would go out their way to read the Scotsman is beyond me...out of all the taig filled papers in this country this one is probly the shitest to get offended at.... at least the bullshit in the sun and rhebal are laughable at times....

52 minutes ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

Former Rangers star Craig Moore sacked over orange strip row

Published: 12:50Saturday 27 January 2018

Rangers defender Craig Moore has been sacked as Brisbane Roar director of football - in a row about kits.

Craig Moore in action for Rangers. Picture: SNS GROUP

The Australian defender won 12 trophies during his two spells at Ibrox, including five SPL titles and four Scottish Cups.

Moore went on to play for Newcastle United and Brisbane before rejoining the A-League club in his present role.

The 42-year-old said earlier this month he would leave Roar, but stay until March to help with players’ contracts.

But the Aussie club has now axed Sydney-born Moore after the fiasco of their midweek AFC Champions League clash with Philippines minnows Ceres-Negros.

Several players had to change shirts midway through the 3-2 home defeat as the squad numbers peeled off their backs, with some using tape to improvise numbers as there were no replacement strips available.

Roar vice-chairman Chris Fong fumed: “We have a football director, and the buck stops with him.

“I was flabbergasted by the images I saw of the game. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

“It is disgusting that we could allow ourselves to be brought down to this level. It is indicative of what has gone on behind the scenes.”

Moore confirmed to a local newspaper that Fong has put him on leave for the remainder of his notice period.

Roar said in a statement: “The club understands the result against Ceres-Negros FC was disappointing, and the performance was unacceptable.

“We have always worn our orange jersey with pride. [On Tuesday] our club disappointed many people, and embarrassed ourselves with the presentation and numbering on our jersey.

“This was not the fault of BRFC kit manufacturer Umbro, and we are unreservedly apologetic.”

Moore was tipped to return to Rangers as a director of football last year.’

Useful Links

Edinburgh Evening News

Readers Charter

© 2018 Johnston Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.

That headline and the article are a disgrace it insinuate the reason Craig was let go on leave was because the shirts are orange. It is because the kits fell apart during a game.

Press in Scotland have no pretence of Professionalism 

17 minutes ago, Theulstervolunteer said:

Click bait classic that ...followed by a load of comments from tarriers under the article no doubt also why any cunt would go out their way to read the Scotsman is beyond me...out of all the taig filled papers in this country this one is probly the shitest to get offended at.... at least the bullshit in the sun and rhebal are laughable at times....

It popped up in my Google feed