Emmanuel Eboue arrested for Arson

1 minute ago, D'Artagnan said:

There is a saying that two wrongs dont make a right  - the fact they have used such an image previously is no defence whatsoever.

To suggest the headline is "pretty weak" is utter nonsense - An ex-premiership footballer arrested for arson ? Id suggest it is anything but weak.

Such has been the nature of the output of the Daily Record that it is subject of a boycott by Rangers supporters.

Fabricated stories, mischief making articles and a refusal to withdraw innacurrate articles in the face of incontrovertible evidence ( ask your previous editor ) have led to the place we are at today.

So as you sow so shall you reap.

https://www.ipso.co.uk/rulings-and-resolution-statements/ruling/?id=03188-16

You misunderstand what I mean about the headline. The player's been named, what he's been arrested for has been revealed so the bulk of the story is given away by the headline. There's no element of intrigue - as the best headlines should have. It should be a hook to get the reader interested in reading more about the story. IMO, it doesn't do that and that would have been the last headline I would have used for it.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You misunderstand what I mean about the headline. The player's been named, what he's been arrested for has been revealed so the bulk of the story is given away by the headline. There's no element of intrigue - as the best headlines should have. It should be a hook to get the reader interested in reading more about the story. IMO, it doesn't do that and that would have been the last headline I would have used for it.

Id actually agree with that - so having drawn the reader in with a degree of intrigue and to invite further investigation as to who it is and who they play for - they then see a player in a Rangers shirt ?

On 08/07/2018 at 19:02, The Dude said:

So it’s intentional to bring down Arsenal’s name too? They didn’t need to use an Arsenal image surely. 

go fuck yourselfwi a rolled up day late record man,seriously. there's clearly wzero need to print a pic of him in a gers top,totally out of order.

11 minutes ago, D'Artagnan said:

Id actually agree with that - so having drawn the reader in with a degree of intrigue and to invite further investigation as to who it is and who they play for - they then see a player in a Rangers shirt ?

Had it been a leading headline - say "ex-Premier League star arrested over arson claims" - leaving that ambiguity over who he is and then had the Rangers picture, it would be questionable, imo.

Given the way the headline is actually worded "Former Arsenal defender Emannuel Eboue arrested on suspicion..." then it's not since it's relying on the reader to already know who Eboue is, as well as explicitly naming Arsenal rather leaving than leaving the reader to make the assumption he's ex-Rangers based on the image.

If you really wanted the reader to continue the assumption that he's ex-Rangers you wouldn't then re-use the image in the article itself and give context to it.

Honestly people should just stop arguing with him. He gets some sort of perverse kick from being despised by people who support the same team as him

When he's in this mood he'd argue with Rangers supporters about what colour grass is

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Had it been a leading headline - say "ex-Premier League star arrested over arson claims" - leaving that ambiguity over who he is and then had the Rangers picture, it would be questionable, imo.

Given the way the headline is actually worded "Former Arsenal defender Emannuel Eboue arrested on suspicion..." then it's not since it's relying on the reader to already know who Eboue is, as well as explicitly naming Arsenal rather leaving than leaving the reader to make the assumption he's ex-Rangers based on the image.

If you really wanted to reader to continue the assumption that he's ex-Rangers you wouldn't then re-use the image in the article itself and give context to it.

You seem to believe that the majority of record readers have the brain cells to dissect an article, most probably only read the headline and look at the pictures.

No matter whether Rangers are mentioned in the article or not, the picture itself implies a connection to Rangers, with no explanation of the context.

As I said before it’s sloppy journalism 

Just now, ritchieshearercaldow said:

You seem to believe that the majority of record readers have the brain cells to dissect an article, most probably only read the headline and look at the pictures.

No matter whether Rangers are mentioned in the article or not, the picture itself implies a connection to Rangers, with no explanation of the context.

If that were the case there'd be no need for any of us to ever write any copy. We could just survive on publishing headlines without a story behind it. Would certainly make my life a whole lot easier.

The picture implies a connection with Rangers no more than one of Snoop Dogg in a celtic top implies a connection with them.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

If that were the case there'd be no need for any of us to ever write any copy. We could just survive on publishing headlines without a story behind it. Would certainly make my life a whole lot easier.

The picture implies a connection with Rangers no more than one of Snoop Dogg in a celtic top implies a connection with them.

Snoop Dog is not a footballer, AFAIK.

2 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Snoop Dog is not a footballer, AFAIK.

And? A minute ago folk never had the brain cells to read a full article but now they can all identify snoop dogg by sight alone. I'm not sure what kinda folk you think read the Record tbh.

16 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Agreed mate.  It was no accident from that rag.

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

So do tell then, what motivated the picture choice? And why were the exact same images used in a story months ago? 

The answer to both questions is the same, Rangers haters trying to connect Rangers to a negative story. As I said earlier I honestly don't understand why you think using the same images on the previous story excuses it or is some sort of evidence that there is no malice. I'd see the point if the earlier story was about Eboue's charity work or something positive but no, it was another negative story, into which someone at the record chose to insert an image of our shirt despite us having no connection to the story. 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

And? A minute ago folk never had the brain cells to read a full article but now they can all identify snoop dogg by sight alone. I'm not sure what kinda folk you think read the Record tbh.

Possibly the same kind of cunts that write,edit and print it?

Came in BD this morning and low & behold the journalistic douche - the dude is still at it, defending the indefensible - a misrepresentation of Rangers - is just that, a clear misrepresentation that cannot be condoned or defended. 

If you wish to do something with your supposed journalistic flair, how about throwing yourself into a project also close by, and on the same principles as that of Sara Ganim, at Penn state university.

And if you do that properly, you'll have no criticism from any Bear.

@The Dude

2 hours ago, D'Artagnan said:

Really ? Snoop Dog ?  ?

The problem with this latest Record antic is that it is not viewed in isolation and quite rightly so.

It's output regarding our club has been toxic and inaccurate & it has previously been savaged by IPSO for not adhering to proper standards, which I evidenced in a previous post.

I know you disagreed with the Jackson pop at us not so long ago regarding the apparent failings of our youth set up, IIRC you even planned to do a counter article to it. But did you ever stop to think why an experienced journo, chief sportswriter no less, was writing an article which was so poorly researched & could have holes punched through it by anyone doing even minimal research ?

Another one, again just off the top of my head, was Jackson again when the video cameras were installed into Rangers Press Conferences and he went on a lengthy rant in his column comparing the regime at Ibrox to that of North Korea. The truth was they were there because Pedro wanted to review and analyse his performances at aforesaid press conferences.

Not forgetting the case of double standards involving Alan Clark. the Rangers supporter who wrote freelance for the Record sacked (shortly after his article stating Lawwell ran Scottish football) for old historic tweets, whilst Jane Hamilton who fabricated a story about Rangers supporters for some reason managed to retain her position despite a series of historic sectarian tweets.

I'll leave it there Dude with one last footnote on the Jane Hamilton fabrication. Following the release of her story, CCTV footage from the area surrounding Hampden was obtained and compiled which demonstrated beyond any reasonable doubt that the story was a complete and utter fabrication. Despite being shown this, Murray Foote refused to withdraw or apologise for the story instead preferring to take his chances on the IPSO investigation - which of course consequently savaged the newspaper.

Why would a Scottish journo write a poorly researched article with almost no substance? Have you read the Scottish media over the last two decades or so? It’s sasly par for course - and not just at the Record or on stories about Rangers. At the risk of going over stuff I’ve discussed at length with you before on here, shite like that is exactly the reason I decided to take a punt at this as a career. 

It’s a picture (and judging by the copyright notices on the others in the article the only Eboue one the Record own outright)

The club installed video cameras to record press conferences for Pedro to review his performance at press conferences that were already filmed by RangersTV? We’re the cameras there for Caixinha to analyse his performance, why have them pointing away from him? Press conferences have been recorded in full by the club for years, dating back to long before Caixinha was appointed.

The Alan Clark stuff was bollocks, and I said as much at the time, although when I got my gig with them Aldo was one of the first folk to contact me and congratulate me. 

IPSO complaint rightly upheld. Although if we’re not to work for media outlets who have had IPSO complaints upheld re: Rangers then there wouldn’t be an acceptable outlet in the country. 

39 minutes ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

Came in BD this morning and low & behold the journalistic douche - the dude is still at it, defending the indefensible - a misrepresentation of Rangers - is just that, a clear misrepresentation that cannot be condoned or defended. 

If you wish to do something with your supposed journalistic flair, how about throwing yourself into a project also close by, and on the same principles as that of Sara Ganim, at Penn state university.

And if you do that properly, you'll have no criticism from any Bear.

@The Dude

Im a football journalist. I write about football. It’s not something I have any interest in writing about or an willijngto out the time into. There’s more than enough going on with Rangers on the footballing side of things to keep me busy. 

1 hour ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

So you believe a guy with no credibility would say likely something contrary to what I've posted, and if he did you'd disagree with him? Ok.

Yes, I believe Phil is unhinged enough to come out with that sort of shite too.

8 hours ago, Spectre said:

The answer to both questions is the same, Rangers haters trying to connect Rangers to a negative story. As I said earlier I honestly don't understand why you think using the same images on the previous story excuses it or is some sort of evidence that there is no malice. I'd see the point if the earlier story was about Eboue's charity work or something positive but no, it was another negative story, into which someone at the record chose to insert an image of our shirt despite us having no connection to the story. 

Arsenal have no connection to the story either. 

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Yes, I believe Phil is unhinged enough to come out with that sort of shite too.

So he's a crank, I'm at the polar opposite end of the scale from him in my views on how Rangers are treated, but you introduce him as some sort of reference point. Ok.

2 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

So he's a crank, I'm at the polar opposite end of the scale from him in my views on how Rangers are treated, but you introduce him as some sort of reference point. Ok.

not quite. You’re both cranks because you both claim the media are out to get your respective clubs. He thinks the media are out to get celtic and are pro-Rangers why you think the same folk are pro-celtic and anti-Rangers