*** The Official Open 2018 Thread ***

So the Open Championship gets underway on Thursday at Carnoustie with the opening group heading off at 6.35am.

Carnoustie is renowned as the hardest course on the Open circuit and with the recent weather will be playing fast and tough with rough set up to punish should the players be a little wayward.

Sandy Lyle has been given the honour of playing the opening tee shot in a good group at 6.35 with Martin Kaymer and Andy Sullivan.

Some standout groups including:

9.58- Speith, Rose & Aphibarnrat

10.09- Rahm, Fowler & Wood

10.20- Oosthuizen, Casey & Reed

12.31- Stenson, Fleetwood & Walker

12.53- McIlroy, Leishman & Oleson

13.04- Johnson, Noren & Hoffman

13.26- Thomas, Molinari & Grace

14.48- Harrington, Watson & Wallace

14.59- Poulter, Smith & Keopka

15.21- Tiger, Matsutama & Knox

Will be great to see Tiger back playing links golf, be interesting to see how the back stands up to it because he never hides his love for the Open.

I pulled out Kuchar, Fleetwood & Fowler in the weep at golf so will be going with them in the betting and also going to take a punt on Molinari & Mcilroy I think.

Anyone else betting?

You really could make a case for almost anyone. Brandon Stone really shouldn't be shooting 60 to win The Scottish Open, with guys like Immelman rolling back the years, and Michael Kim shouldn't really be shooting -27 on the PGA but it just shows the depth in golf right now. It's so open. The Open is also quite notorious for some relatively unknown players picking up the claret jug too.

The weather and draw like many events could play a huge role so they'll certainly need some luck. 

I will probably stick to outsiders pre tournament but always ready to latch onto big name players who start slowly in play. No great value in doing short priced players pre tournament IMO. However if a big name starts with a few bogeys it's always worth taking a punt on them as their odds drift as more often than not many of the big names can turn it round as well as the field coming back to them.

Backed Herbert, Kaymer, Olesen, Oosthuizen and Willett. Think Reed is a tidy price too though. 

Going to be some mega play off the tee. Snedeker hit a 420+yard drive in practice and he's not one of the long hitters. Saying that don't know how much rain the course got yesterday. 

watched big Phil on range, must have scuffed half the balls he hit, Woods IMO will run up a big score, Rose and Scott have been visiting last couple of weeks, very settled, fanny sunesson coming out of retirement to caddie possibly for Scott,   Justin will get my 10p each way!!, rain yesterday never done much to the course, speed off the fairway and run off will catch them out, ps Carnoustie and its 3 courses are the courses I play ?

33 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Did you see Harrington hitting a drive over 400 yards up 18 into the burn ??? I love links golf.

Never saw that. Links golf is mental, played Monifieth one time and hit through a 360yard hole with my three wood. Was blowing a gale mind.