***Official Nations League Thread****

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Neil Cameron,  Evening Times.....

"That’s for another day. Right now, McLeish’s Scotland made the country proud, it made us believe, and that’s really all we ask for,

James Forrest starts every game because he’s James Forrest.

For two years the winger has been one of the best players in the Premiership. Now he’s the best bar none.

Over the past two years, Forrest has welded consistency to what was always an explosive talent for celtic and has done well for Scotland up until these last two games where he has become a talisman.

Forrest has been man of the match against Bayern Munich. You know, that really big team from Germany. He’s fit, his hamstrings are solid and he scores goals.

There is nobody else we can pick on who has the pace, footballing intelligence and eye for goal as this 27-year-old who is already one of the most decorated players in the history of the Scottish game.

And he was dropped for Stephen O’Donnell. Of Kilmarnock. Let’s make sure, Mr McLeish this never happens again.

At the risk of getting some angry comments, the celtic players have to start with almost no exception.

Forrest was obviously excellent last night. So, too, Ryan Christie and Callum McGregor has become a wonderful footballer"

:wow:

Get that sent to Private Eye, straight to Pseud's Corner.

10 hours ago, Shuggy said:

Nice to celebrate something from Scotland. Shouldn't kid ourselves though, we played two mickey mouse teams and it will be back to "difficult" with the group stages. Mind you, good to get the third seed pot. So if we beat Finland, we could also get Serbia at home for the one-off?

I expect Serbia to be pretty strong in their QF group, often have a really good run i.e the 2010 world cup qualification - they never lost a game. I would hope they could do well and qaulify directly and leave us with Romania (who could also have a chance of qualification directly) or Montenegro. I don't think Finland or Norway will progress from their group - definitely beatable for Scotland.

15 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

I expect Serbia to be pretty strong in their QF group, often have a really good run i.e the 2010 world cup qualification - they never lost a game. I would hope they could do well and qaulify directly and leave us with Romania (who could also have a chance of qualification directly) or Montenegro. I don't think Finland or Norway will progress from their group - definitely beatable for Scotland.

Scotland ranked 40 by FIFA and 56 for Finland (Serbia 35th), so beatable indeed. But assuming a Serbia final, it is a toss up for the one off venue?

2 minutes ago, Shuggy said:

Scotland ranked 40 by FIFA and 56 for Finland (Serbia 35th), so beatable indeed. But assuming a Serbia final, it is a toss up for the one off venue?

That is a mystery, need to look in the UEFA website I think. Rankings are irrelevant, as between now and the playoffs there is 18 months so all teams could go up or down so far that they are meaningless really.

Archived