First season out of 10

Burts91

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

You compared them first!

Sorry - you're quite right. When I think of McCoist's time here all that comes to mind is what happened 'after' we dropped down the leagues. That said, I'd still hold up Gerrard's recent win over either of McCoist's, if only because the years preceding it meant we really needed a statement win over them. 

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Given how we were in may of last year - when the club was a shambles - I thought we would really struggle this year.

We have let ourselves down since Xmas but it's still a good job.

This can't be emphasised enough, just read through the match thread for the 5-0 loss that handed them the league (if you can):

The disgust and apathy as the goals went in was totally gutting, the fact we managed to get into EL group stages barely four months later still astounds me.

Europe 8/10

Did great to get there and competed well against decent sides, could have even got through.

League 4/10

We sit fairly comfortable in second which was probably the realistic expectation but it is alot to do with Aberdeen dropping more points. We have been horribly inconsistent and our record against the top sides is abysmal.

Cups 1/10

Only gains a mark for causing Clarke's breakdown 

Style of play/tactics 7/10

I think we always try to play football and have been the better side in the vast majority of our games just lacking the quality to break sides down/finish them off at times. His ability to change a game is now a real worry to be fair.

Signings 3/10

More negatives than positives

Overall I'd say 5/10. This could change massively over the last 8 games.

It’s a six, purely because of the Europa League run. Getting us there was remarkable enough, getting us to within a game of the latter stages was a huge achievement. 

Going out both cups to fucking Aberdeen is disgraceful, but the improvement on the last few seasons is obvious. We’ve just lack the consistency to mount a serious challenge in the league. It’s a matter of mentality with the players. When we’re good, we’re really good. Unfortunately a lot of the players we have don’t have the required winners mentality. 

We have a decent base squad. Quality over quantity is required in the summer. 

14 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

McCoist beat celtic twice.

And we were just as dominant in the 3-2 game as we were in this last win.

We are currently in the same position we finished McCoists last season managing us in the SPL if we don't count the 10 point deduction we had.

1 minute ago, plumbGER said:

We are currently in the same position we finished McCoists last season managing us in the SPL if we don't count the 10 point deduction we had.

Even if you do count the deduction we were second

Because of how we have done since the winter break I cannot give more than 6.

That does not mean I do not want him here next season, he needs a really good few mentally strong with better ability players to make a real challenge next season IMO, if that does not happen we will be in once more up shit creek without any paddle this time next year.

19 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

No trophies, no contest in the league at the split, 10 points behind them, papped out both cups to Aberdeen, don’t even make the SF of the SC, and some people are giving 6 and 7s out of 10.

Fuck me.

yes i know what you are saying, but remeber where we were as a club and a team  less than 1 year ago. murty in charge, team a shambles, no hope in sight....

all im saying is there is some context over and above " we dont have any trophies"

12 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

which is a remarkable achievement for Gerrard, given McCoist inherited a Walter Smith team and Gerrard inherited a Murty team.

4 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

which is a remarkable achievement for Gerrard, given McCoist inherited a Walter Smith team and Gerrard inherited a Murty team.

Aye true mate, not like that season McCoist and the club had a massive cloud hanging over them and admin to deal with eh?

Murty signed or suggested Middleton and Martin, could hardly call it a Murty team.

Considering the season isn't over, I am not overly sure.

Europe, got a lot further than expected, but had one of the easiest group we could of looked for, and failed 

Scottish cups, disappointed not to be in the final of at least one of them.

League ain't over, but the tim's have been pish, and we are still miles behind.

Overall, probably a 6

Just now, plumbGER said:

Aye true mate, not like that season McCoist and the club had a massive cloud hanging over them and admin to deal with eh?

Murty signed or suggested Middleton and Martin, could hardly call it a Murty team.

POP QUIZ time

lets compare the team that mccoist had available at the end of the SPL season to Murty/pedros.

26 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Love how folk just list off all the down side and flippantly cast aside a great run in Europe, because it doesn’t fit their skewed take on the season. 

Aye those European powerhouses of Shkupi, Osijek, Ufa and Maribor... our group littered with clubs in absolute turmoil and we couldn’t get through.

People are putting far too much into our European run. It was nice, but I’d expect to beat every single side we came up against in qualifying and MORE than we achieved in the groups all things considered with our opponents. Must have been the worst Spartak side of my lifetime.

2 minutes ago, Hutton2008 said:

Aye those European powerhouses of Shkupi, Osijek, Ufa and Maribor... our group littered with clubs in absolute turmoil and we couldn’t get through.

People are putting far too much into our European run. It was nice, but I’d expect to beat every single side we came up against in qualifying and MORE than we achieved in the groups all things considered with our opponents. Must have been the worst Spartak side of my lifetime.

I think if we simply talk down any achievement we ever make then this is pointless as theres no objectivity.  Not getting beat by Villareal wasnt bad. And we went into that group thinking we would struggle big time and that the job was done just getting to the group.

38 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Love how folk just list off all the down side and flippantly cast aside a great run in Europe, because it doesn’t fit their skewed take on the season. 

I remember my first post ever on here was simply to attack you but you’re a good cunt. I’m going to apologise 

3 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

I think if we simply talk down any achievement we ever make then this is pointless as theres no objectivity.  Not getting beat by Villareal wasnt bad. And we went into that group thinking we would struggle big time and that the job was done just getting to the group.

To me it barely holds under scrutiny and it’s used as the only real defence to a poor season.

The league and cups are the bread and butter. Aberdeen have been weakened so we should have leapfrogged them. We have signed 19 players loan and permanent, some big fees, and big wages and the consistency has been criminal. 

There should have been a genuine title challenge. celtic have been poor and were there for the taking.

21 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

POP QUIZ time

lets compare the team that mccoist had available at the end of the SPL season to Murty/pedros.

Walters team finished a solitary point ahead of the beggars the season before, 1 point.

Archived