Tavernier

G.E.C.

If Tavernier is not the captain then who is? The only real choice is McGregor and personally I wouldn't choose him. The choices are limited at the moment. As for his play, I've been watching Rangers since the early 70's and the only right back who was better was Jardine. There is a strong arguement for Hutton ( a better tackler ),I get that or perhaps Stevens but unless I'm missing someone that's about it and I always saw Ricksen as a midfielder. Be careful what you ask for........

On 31/03/2019 at 14:32, DBBTB said:

I’ve always defended Tav but to talk about how well he’s played while sort of downplaying, shrugging your shoulders and saying oh well about the mistake he made reeks of a small team mentality (and that’s not something say lightly because it’s such a cliche). A result today kept the title race hanging by a string, his mistake has ended it.

Yesterday’s result didn’t lose the title, we lost that a while ago.

Even if we won yesterday we still wouldn’t have won the league. We’ve not won 4 or 5 on the trot, far too inconsistent. That’s not on Tavs head it’s on the full squads.

I think it’s important to remember Tav didn’t give himself the captaincy, it was Gerrards decision. If there’s any anger directed at Tav for being captain it’s a bit misplaced - it’s Gerrard you should have the beef with.

I want beef for dinner now, steak and onions with cheesy mashed potatoes.

Then a nice big wank before going to sleep. 

Cant wait

1 minute ago, Blueteeth said:

I think it’s important to remember Tav didn’t give himself the captaincy, it was Gerrards decision. If there’s any anger directed at Tav for being captain it’s a bit misplaced - it’s Gerrard you should have the beef with.

I want beef for dinner now, steak and onions with cheesy mashed potatoes.

Then a nice big wank before going to sleep. 

Cant wait

This a WhatsApp to your missus that you’ve accidentally copied and pasted on to your post? :lol:

All players have their 'best before' dates and a later 'sell by' date.    Whether we ever got the very best out of Tavernier is doubtful.   Defending is not his strength imo and the first job of a defender is to defend very well.     Seems to me that moving on in Summer is what happens next ie he's approaching his sell by date.   

Arguably that's why Polster was recruited.

5 hours ago, Bakbear said:

Not sure I can get on board with this. 

He is 28. In his prime. He is just off the back of an international break. They had the winter break too. He might have played every game but, just to paraphrase the old magic hat, his loading should have been managed. 

I can understand that at the end of a single game where he has run himself into the ground he can be open to an error due to fatigue.

But the total amount of games shouldn’t be a factor anymore. Perhaps before Christmas wth the Thursday Sunday loading but not now. 

And if the likes of tav, worrall, goldson etc are all fucked due to the number of games, then you have to question the likes of gerrard and why we don't use guys like flanagan, katic, mccauley etc against the pisher teams, do we really need tav playing 90mins at home when we're 3 up against st mirren or hamilton etc, tavs game won't change, for 90mins he'll still act like a winger, so its up to gerrard to manage these guys

We have perfectly capable players in the squad and on the bench, if gerrard won't use them and they are dead on their feet after so many games then the buck stops at the gaffers door

5 hours ago, bluenoz said:

If Tavernier is not the captain then who is? The only real choice is McGregor and personally I wouldn't choose him. The choices are limited at the moment. As for his play, I've been watching Rangers since the early 70's and the only right back who was better was Jardine. There is a strong arguement for Hutton ( a better tackler ),I get that or perhaps Stevens but unless I'm missing someone that's about it and I always saw Ricksen as a midfielder. Be careful what you ask for........

You think the only right back we've had since the 70's that was better than tav is jardine? Fuck off, no way have our fullbacks been that shite since then

Fuck me id even argue whittaker was better, both cant defend worth a fuck, but whittaker was a better attacker imo

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

You think the only right back we've had since the 70's that was better than tav is jardine? Fuck off, no way have our fullbacks been that shite since then

Fuck me id even argue whittaker was better, both cant defend worth a fuck, but whittaker was a better attacker imo

Jim if Whittaker is all you can come up with...... Whittaker wasn't bad going forward and I will never forget his goal in Europe but still think Tav is better. People might think Hutton and is defo worth a debate but I still say Tav.

10 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

And if the likes of tav, worrall, goldson etc are all fucked due to the number of games, then you have to question the likes of gerrard and why we don't use guys like flanagan, katic, mccauley etc against the pisher teams, do we really need tav playing 90mins at home when we're 3 up against st mirren or hamilton etc, tavs game won't change, for 90mins he'll still act like a winger, so its up to gerrard to manage these guys

We have perfectly capable players in the squad and on the bench, if gerrard won't use them and they are dead on their feet after so many games then the buck stops at the gaffers door

:tu:

12 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Jim if Whittaker is all you can come up with...... Whittaker wasn't bad going forward and I will never forget his goal in Europe but still think Tav is better. People might think Hutton and is defo worth a debate but I still say Tav.

I can come up with more, im saying that whittaker i believe was better and by fuck i slaughtered him fo not being able to defend

Hutton was years ahead of tav, stevens also, fuck even porrini was better, 

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

I can come up with more, im saying that whittaker i believe was better and by fuck i slaughtered him fo not being able to defend

Hutton was years ahead of tav, stevens also, fuck even porrini was better, 

Can't agree with whittaker, but I do think hutton was a better all round player, don't remember much of Stevens.

5 hours ago, bluenoz said:

You on the glue 😂

The only RB better than Tav has been Jardine, you really have to be joking. 

I would even go as far to say Broadfoot was a better RB than Tav, never mind Hutton, Stevens, Whittaker(didn’t rate him) Jimmy Nicholl, Porrini even Mo Ross

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

You on the glue 😂

I would even go as far to say Broadfoot was a better RB than Tav, never mind Hutton, Stevens, Whittaker(didn’t rate him) Jimmy Nicholl, Porrini even Mo Ross

My dad still raves about him.

3 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

You on the glue 😂

Broadfoot better than tav hahahaha ,come on to fuck m8? Mo ross aswell ,u must really hate tav ,the rest I would say better without a doubt 👍

9 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

You on the glue 😂

ffs, why don't you throw Jim Denny in there as well !! I did say Hutton and Stevens would be up for debate  but the rest you suggest don't even come close. Jimmy Nicholl was more or less finished when he came to us. Brilliant in his day at Man U

Just now, bluenoz said:

ffs, why don't you throw Jim Denny in there as well !! I did say Hutton and Stevens would be up for debate  but the rest you suggest don't even come close. Jimmy Nicholl was more or less finished when he came to us. Brilliant in his day at Man U

Denny, you go too far my good man. 😂

Seriously mate, Hutton and Stevens isn’t even close to being a debate, Nicholl even at the end was still a better RB and Porrini makes Tav look like a wee lassie going for a game of netball. 

9 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Denny, you go too far my good man. 😂

Seriously mate, Hutton and Stevens isn’t even close to being a debate, Nicholl even at the end was still a better RB and Porrini makes Tav look like a wee lassie going for a game of netball. 

All of the above had good and bad parts to their game. All played at different times in different styles so it's difficult to compare. The best we ever had that I've seen was Jardine, but that's only my opinion. Tavernier is by no means the worst.

2 minutes ago, bordersbear said:

All of the above had good and bad parts to their game. All played at different times in different styles so it's difficult to compare. The best we ever had that I've seen was Jardine, but that's only my opinion. Tavernier is by no means the worst.

Jardine stood out. Never got the accolades he deserved at the time because of McGrain but at least we recognized him and named a stand after him.

Jardine was a more accomplished footballer than McGrain, who was a great full back/defender.

I remember Jardine playing sweeper against Juventus in 78, and he was superb, at a time Scottish teams never played with sweepers. He read the game (all games) brilliantly well.

As for RIGHT full backs I have seen, Jardine, Stevens, Nicol, then Tav would be my order.

My grandad is a hibs fan and has always said Jardine was the best he seen in scotland. With him playing right back at junior level he always had a soft spot for Jardine, said he was a great guy to as when in the army he served with jock wallace and they became friends so when ever Rangers played Hibs my grandad was invited to meet jock wallace after the game for a drink so met sandy a few times. He also speaks of another right back for hibs the older bears might know second name of brownlie or something