The Ajax model.

pcbear

I had a quick look at the transfer dealings of Ajax  as I have never paid any attention before and thought they hardly ever entered the transfer market, turns out they are quite heavy spenders (not EPL style) but they have signed a fair few in double figure millions, over the last 6 seasons they have shelled out 158m while raking in 333m turning a profit of 175m, De Ligt and De Jong were near 150m for the pair so that was a huge cash insertion for two who I assume given their age cost nothing.

37 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

They spend to keep competitive since their youngsters are consistently getting poached, they need champions league football every season to maintain other clubs attention on the youth. Their investment into youth at all levels is unparalleled so it's not like the cost nothing.

Apart from last year they have not been in the Champions league group stages for many years, sure they have won the Dutch league or  finished 2nd but they have been knocked out before the group stages and fell into the Europa cup.

On 21/07/2019 at 08:06, pcbear said:

I had a quick look at the transfer dealings of Ajax  as I have never paid any attention before and thought they hardly ever entered the transfer market, turns out they are quite heavy spenders (not EPL style) but they have signed a fair few in double figure millions, over the last 6 seasons they have shelled out 158m while raking in 333m turning a profit of 175m, De Ligt and De Jong were near 150m for the pair so that was a huge cash insertion for two who I assume given their age cost nothing.

De jong cost them 1m plus add ons I think totalling 4m or so iirc.

De ligt was signed as a 9 year old so the cost of 10 years of education , training and contracts so not nothing but made a healthy profit.