Fifty years ago yesterday

The Widow's Son

Saturday, October 11th, 1969.  Windswept with drizzle, Rangers vs. Hibs at Ibrox.  Peter Marinello scored twice and tore us a new one as Hibs won 3-1.  I think Joe McBride scored the third.  Norrie Martin's last game for the Rangers.  Were you there?  I was.  Wonder what ever happened to Peter Marinello?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was there and remember like it was just yesterday. Me and the lads had celebrated my 30th and decided to get mwi so hit the town then a horse and cart along to the stadium. Gutted and soaked but what a day, and yet we still talk about it in the care home. As for Peter Marinello, who knows but probably opened up a cafe or a barbers somewhere in craigmiller😋

51 minutes ago, The Widow's Son said:

Wonder what ever happened to Peter Marinello?

I remember being at the game too.

Peter Marinello was meant to be Scotland's version of George Best, as far as I can recall. I am sure he signed for Arsenal when he was quite young for a big fee.

It's a shame how many young guys have all the talent when they are younger and either can't cope with the intensity of training and commitment that is required to make the very top or just want to piss it all away.

15 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Was that the only game you went to mate?

Who the fuck remembers a game from 50 year ago were we got beat fuck sake :lol:

I remember a game from 1974 we lost 3-0. It was my first ever game and also I think one of the first to be on a Sunday. 

2 minutes ago, Eck_M said:

Probably the Scottish Cup game against Dundee at Ibrox. We had won the centenary final against the Mhanks and got gubbed 3-0 at home in the 4th round.

Just beat me to it.

As I recall big Peter McCloy had a nightmare and get absolute pelters from the terracing. 

5 minutes ago, Eck_M said:

Probably the Scottish Cup game against Dundee at Ibrox. We had won the centenary final against the Mhanks and got gubbed 3-0 at home in the 4th round.

Wasn’t that the first ever Sunday game at Ibrox? I was laid low with chickenpox and raging I couldn’t go.

1 hour ago, Bad Robot said:

I was there and remember like it was just yesterday. Me and the lads had celebrated my 30th and decided to get mwi so hit the town then a horse and cart along to the stadium. Gutted and soaked but what a day, and yet we still talk about it in the care home. As for Peter Marinello, who knows but probably opened up a cafe or a barbers somewhere in craigmiller😋

You were 30 in 1969?!

1 hour ago, The Widow's Son said:

Saturday, October 11th, 1969.  Windswept with drizzle, Rangers vs. Hibs at Ibrox.  Peter Marinello scored twice and tore us a new one as Hibs won 3-1.  I think Joe McBride scored the third.  Norrie Martin's last game for the Rangers.  Were you there?  I was.  Wonder what ever happened to Peter Marinello?

3 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

Wasn’t that the first ever Sunday game at Ibrox? I was laid low with chickenpox and raging I couldn’t go.

October 11th 1969 was a Saturday.

1 hour ago, Bad Robot said:

Stealth Happy 80th Birthday  entry...

:champagne:HAPPY 80th Bad Robot.. :champagne:

26 minutes ago, kplfishtank said:

I remember a game from 1974 we lost 3-0. It was my first ever game and also I think one of the first to be on a Sunday. 

64,672 crowd and we beat Queens Park 8 -0 at Ibrox in the previous round, that was the first game I was allowed to go to myself.

31 minutes ago, Eck_M said:

We had not a bad season , that one  ,where the league went to the final game before , as you say , winning the Scottish Cup . For some reason , we fell to pieces the next season when we lost to Dundee in the Cup and struggled in the league .

The fact we then went on to win the league the following season shows how unpredictable football can be . 

Archived