Heading to be banned in kids football by SFA

Jakes Pal

A sensible precaution or snowflake, right on politically correct bampottery? 

Personally I believe a ban is too much, perhaps if the SFA are so concerned they could provide headguards? Oh wait, that would cost money that would probably have to come out of the foreign junkets budget.

Jury still out. 

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/53/6/321

My own view is that there probably  is an accountable danger in heading an object weighing half a kilo coming towards you with extra weight due to speed, continously over a period of 10-15 years or longer. 

Was probably worse in the days of leather bladders which soaked up quantities of water on rainy days.. 

22 hours ago, ger4life_1872 said:

Smart move , outwith the health dangers we might start producing players again 

Or a generation of player who don’t have a clue how to defend a cross ball into the box, or how to attack a ball floated into the opposition box.

Sounds like a pile of shite that will only encourage shity tippy tappy weak Mark warburton style football. 

19 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Or a generation of player who don’t have a clue how to defend a cross ball into the box, or how to attack a ball floated into the opposition box.

Sounds like a pile of shite that will only encourage shity tippy tappy weak Mark warburton style football. 

Or you develop a generation of 2 footed players capable of making 10 yard passes and who understand the best way too defend a cross is stopping it from happening in the first place,  and we also stop throwing players on the scrap heap at 16 because they're not 6ft yet 

24 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

Or you develop a generation of 2 footed players capable of making 10 yard passes and who understand the best way too defend a cross is stopping it from happening in the first place,  and we also stop throwing players on the scrap heap at 16 because they're not 6ft yet 

There won’t be anybody trying to put crosses into the box for them to learn how to stop it, will be tippy tappy get to the bye line turn and play the ball back pish that failed us under MW.  Heading is a big part of football mate, always has been I don’t see how producing a generation of player who don’t know how to head a ball or put a cross into the box will make our football stronger.

Maybe be the six a side world champions though 😆

4 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

There won’t be anybody trying to put crosses into the box for them to learn how to stop it, will be tippy tappy get to the bye line turn and play the ball back pish that failed us under MW.  Heading is a big part of football mate, always has been I don’t see how producing a generation of player who don’t know how to head a ball or put a cross into the box will make our football stronger.

Or it becomes peps  barca version of tippy tappy  football  that creates a generation of great players , theres no reason why they cant learn heading and crossing in training and then introduce that into competitive games at u16 level , but boys playing u11's etc are learning nothing playing constant goal kick , try win the flick on then get a shot away 

Banning heading outright is impractical, as has been said above, there are situations where you really need to get a header on the ball.

Maybe start with changing how we coach the kids, train them to pick and choose when to go long, minimise head usage rather than banning it altogether.

As the op said, maybe get the younger age groups to use head guards. Football's have also changed even in the last twenty years, so you would think the risk of long term injuries would be a lot less than it was even when I played.

1 minute ago, ger4life_1872 said:

Or it becomes peps  barca version of tippy tappy  football  that creates a generation of great players , theres no reason why they cant learn heading and crossing in training and then introduce that into competitive games at u16 level , but boys playing u11's etc are learning nothing playing constant goal kick , try win the flick on then get a shot away 

Spot on there. Murder watching that. 

3 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

Fair enough mate but I’m not sure it will be as simple as banning heading the ball at school boy level for us to start producing Barcelona level players.  

11 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Fair enough mate but I’m not sure it will be as simple as banning heading the ball at school boy level for us to start producing Barcelona level players.  

Yeah its gonna take a lot more but its potentially a step in the right direction , might not work either but it's worth a shot imo 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1027847/clapping-banned-football-news-hampshire-fa

"the aim is to create a positive and pressure-free environment in which children can enjoy football and learn to love and develop in the game.."

No clapping at games it causes pressure!

Coaches can't shout at their players it causes stress!

No heading the ball you'll die!

No running, no sliding, no studs, wear helmets, don't hurt the ball's feelings, is that man wearing A LEATHER  JACKET IN THE STANDS!? THIS GAME IS THE EMBODIMENT OF IMPERIALISTIC SOCIETIES, THE TERMINOLOGY USED IS A VEHICLE FOR THE PATRIARCHY!!

Next up soldiers will be suing their enemies for causing them stress and firing bullets in their direction...

I'm being facetious. But whilst the safety concerns of athletes should be taken seriously and risk should be managed as best as possible, the world starts to bring itself into a lock-step attitude if we bubble wrap too many potential risky situations... it'll open up interesting debates anyhow.

Psychologically this is how we now sit with the current attitudes of the younger generations who don't want to hear opinions that challenge their own, or expect everything to be fed to them easily. Bubble wrapped minds of children brought up in the 9/11 era of academically uniform environments. What will the effect on our understanding of physical danger be? For years it was 'uncool' to wear a helmet in the extreme sports or in those mimicking it outside; yet it was the sensible option.

Are we at a similar period in football and rugby? 

Wasn't this how the early days of football were in the 1860's? Slow jogging with the ball at pace until you HAD to pass it, and not allowing it to leave the ground above head height? 

On 27/10/2019 at 02:06, tannerall said:

Jury still out. 

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/53/6/321

My own view is that there probably  is an accountable danger in heading an object weighing half a kilo coming towards you with extra weight due to speed, continously over a period of 10-15 years or longer. 

Was probably worse in the days of leather bladders which soaked up quantities of water on rainy days.. 

then there were the occasions where you headed the laces 😮  - mouldemasters were the best invention ever   -- well except when they smacked you on the thigh on a freezing cold day. 

6 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

then there were the occasions where you headed the laces 😮  - mouldemasters were the best invention ever   -- well except when they smacked you on the thigh on a freezing cold day. 

Heading a bladdered football on a cold and wet ash park left my head spinning. I knew then at a young age that could not be good. If the SFA are planning this based on scientific evidence then fair play to them but technology had drastically changed and the ball is lighter. Sometimes I think the blazers in our game never played the game and they just love rule changes. Me and you turned out all right, at least in our own minds 😉 

3 hours ago, 72barca said:

How can you take this out of the game?  His neighbour told me he first did this as a ten-yr-old 😛...

Only up to under 11 age group I think mate, not banned all together. 

Great video though mate 👍 

13 minutes ago, ianb1547 said:

Why 11?  Why not 10 or 12 ?

I think they have just plucked an age out of thin air...... and that does not suggest it's been fully thought through.

After 11 they go to full scale football 11 a side, although that could be about to change as well as 9 a side transition year is coming in last a I heard. 

My son is 14 and just spent the last 2 weeks on his concussion recovery after being kicked in the head by a dirty wee shit during the game. 

But I’m all for the ban until they reach 11 a side football, and even then I would ban heading drill with a full size ball until they are 16. 

Archived