Double raid on Man Utd

Craigy

WALTER SMITH is planning a double swoop for two of Manchester United’s brightest young starlets.

Smith sent chief scout Ewan Chester to watch Italian hitman Federico Macheda, right, and Brazilian midfielder Rodrigo Possebon in action for the reserves against Hull last week.

Both kids are highly rated by United boss Sir Alex Ferguson who may allow Smith to take the pair on loan.

Both players are products of United’s global scouting network and there are high hopes they will push for first- team places in a year’s time.

But with first-team football hard to come by in the Premiership, Ferguson has regularly sanctioned his stars going out on loan to help make them the finished article.

Possebon, 20, is a box-to-box midfielder and joined United in January last year.

He has impressed after returning from injury following a horrific challenge by Middlesbrough defender Emanuel Pogatetz during the Carling Cup third-round match at Old Trafford last September.

The Brazilian played a major part in United’s success in the competition this season and has also featured in their FA Cup campaign. He speaks English fluently and has helped United’s other Samba superkids Rafael and Fabio da Silva settle into life at Old Trafford.

Macheda, 17, is a product of Lazio’s youth system who joined United in September 2007, signing professional forms a year later in August 2008.

A powerful forward with a natural goalscorer’s eye for goal, the teenager was born in Rome and is regarded as one of the most promising prospects of a generation in Italy.

Having relocated to England to further his career, Macheda has quickly moved up the ranks at United.

He started out in United’s Under-18s side, but has become a regular in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s reserves this season.

The Italian started the season with a fine goalscoring run in the youth team and has continued to shine in the reserves.

Both players scored in the 4-0 win over Hull last week and Chester will have returned to Ibrox with glowing reports on the pair.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/s...o-Possebon.html

News of the world, so I'll take it with a pinch of salt but Possebon is a decent wee player. Macheda? No idea about him.

The scouts were probably trying to catch a glimpse of Nicky Barmby and Dean Windass. :anguish:

wouldnt suprise me

Yeah Bardsley had potential till he fell out with PLG.

Martin on the other hand - was similar to Cristiano Ronaldo when he first joined Man Utd - over eager to please with the flicks and tricks but lacking an end product.

I really hate Alex Ferguson, but I think he's too smart to let some of his young prospects (who will more than likely turn into very, very good players) waste away under Smith's regime.

Not so sure, Ferguson seems to love Smith.

Smith's spell as assistant at Man Utd would certainly suggest so, but Ferguson's not an idiot. He'll see what's going on at Rangers just like every supporter can.

I haven't thought about it for a while actually, but Smith at Man Utd brings up two points. A) Man Utd are fucking scum, what the fuck was Smith doing there? and B) What did Smith learn there?

I really hate Alex Ferguson, but I think he's too smart to let some of his young prospects (who will more than likely turn into very, very good players) waste away under Smith's regime.

Not so sure, Ferguson seems to love Smith.

Smith's spell as assistant at Man Utd would certainly suggest so, but Ferguson's not an idiot. He'll see what's going on at Rangers just like every supporter can.

I haven't thought about it for a while actually, but Smith at Man Utd brings up two points. A) Man Utd are fucking scum, what the fuck was Smith doing there? and B) What did Smith learn there?

Ferguson and Smith have always been friends plus Ferguson has always admired him, he tried to get him as his assistant at Aberdeen i think. Queiroz had left for Real Madrid and Fergie needed an assistant for the rest of the season, Smith was available.

And i've no idea what he learned there, but apparently the Man Utd player did think highly of him during his time there.

(Edited the story out of this post just to leave my comments, thought It'd be tidier.)

While not wanting to sound like a broken record, this concerns me as our Manager is looking for targets and I don't want him here in charge next season and as much as these boys are good players, while quality is better than loyalty - I'm really not sure about bringing in other clubs' youngsters whe we have our own albeit my backing of Aaron pisses all over that argument.