Roy Hodgson at Rangers?

BluenoseGaz

Roy of the Rangers?, Fulham boss in Ibrox link

Written by Andypendek

Thursday, 16 April 2009 11:49

As the season comes toward it's final few weeks, there's renewed speculation about the likelihood of Rangers manager Walter Smith remaining in situ next year. A good few names have been thrown around the internet rumour mill as to who would be a possible succesor, but one name has been, in my opinion, notable by it's absence.

Roy Hodgson is the epitome of the modern manager. Gone are the days of the local, long term boss coming through the team or coaching staff; nowadays a manager is as likely to be a foreigner as a former player.

Hodgson is the archtype of this: stints in Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark and Italy, as well as forays into International management with Switzerland and the UAE, attest to his open mindedness, his willingness to experiment, his modernity. This last point is especially important, because if there's one thing that would count against Hodgson taking over from Smith, it's his age.

Both being 61, it would be argued by some that such an appointment would be short term, even retrograde. But while Smith may be showing signs of going out of date, with his defensive tactics and reliance on experience at all costs, Hodgson has shown that age need be no barrier to being hip. He's never been afraid to play players, regardless of age; he's never been afraid to take on new cultures or experiences; and as his solid and increasingly entertaining Fulham side shows, he's quite willing to take on the likes of Arsenal at their own, footballing game.

Quite familiar with operating without a massive budget, Hodgson is the ideal candidate should Rangers decide Smith's second tenture has been a failure. The Glasgow side have been developing an impressive youth side in the last three years, and it would be ironic should someone else reap the fruits that Uncle Walter has been tending in his garden. But who said life was fair?

In the end, of course, it will come down to results. For Rangers, should they fail to win this season's title, it's likely Smith will step down. For Hodgson, should Fulham get one of the European places for next season, it's likely he would remain in London.

Time will tell, as in all things. I for one, though, would have no complaints if we were to see Roy at The Rangers.

He always looks tired and cant pronounce his r's!!! (td)

Still sittin with a bank book that would choke an elephant though despite bein shite Eh ? Laughin at diddy's that are laughin at him ? Ah there are winners and losers Eh ? ;):sherlock:

Guest Andypendek
He always looks tired and cant pronounce his r's!!! (td)

He always reminds me of an East End barrow boy fallen on hard times. Whenever he comes on MotD, I always 'entertain' friends and family by launching into an hilarious routine about selling suits at half time...like when Arsene Wenger comes on, I flare me nostrils and start shouting 'Oooh nooo, matron, please, someone might come in!'

It's no surprise Saturday night usually finds me alone these days.