Ban our songs

some "fans" only enjoy singing the songs that annoy timothy rather than Singing songs that are part of our history and heritage i think TFS shows us that they are not interested in OUR heritage but that of THEIR heritage sad really

That's a fair point but banter between opposition fans - even tasteless or offensive banter - is always going to happen and is part and parcel of football.

What can be debated is which songs cross the line in terms of reaching racist or sectarian descriptions. The plastic paddy song does not do that IMO.

Unfortunately with football authorities, police forces and the Scottish Government being unprepared to supply a proscribed list of songs which do breach their Unacceptable Conduct rules and/or social laws, then every song is open to disingenuous challenge by parties with questionable agendas.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO SURRENDER TO THE IRA

There lies a soldier of the UVF

Don't bury me in any f****n valley

Hello Hello we are the Billy Boys

God bless my home in dear old Ulster

Some of these arent Rangers songs.... and were not always sung by the fans. The traditions start from the start of our club not the late 60's and early 70's...

N Whit???

So we haven't built traditions on the way............aye ok

some "fans" only enjoy singing the songs that annoy timothy rather than Singing songs that are part of our history and heritage i think TFS shows us that they are not interested in OUR heritage but that of THEIR heritage sad really

That's a fair point but banter between opposition fans - even tasteless or offensive banter - is always going to happen and is part and parcel of football.

What can be debated is which songs cross the line in terms of reaching racist or sectarian descriptions. The plastic paddy song does not do that IMO.

Unfortunately with football authorities, police forces and the Scottish Government being unprepared to supply a proscribed list of songs which do breach their Unacceptable Conduct rules and/or social laws, then every song is open to disingenuous challenge by parties with questionable agendas.

This is it in a nutshell, fine wanting to sing songs, but not could it only be damaging for the club both domestically and in European competitions, if the authorities start coming down hard on offenders then you could end up with a prison sentence, a criminal record, and through that lose your jobs and income, then where would you be??

This is it in a nutshell, fine wanting to sing songs, but not could it only be damaging for the club both domestically and in European competitions, if the authorities start coming down hard on offenders then you could end up with a prison sentence, a criminal record, and through that lose your jobs and income, then where would you be??

They would be supporting a mid table club on the dole?

The old Rangers is gone because of all the Handringers, the Hobby Horses, the not in my name mob, and the people who run our club. But i still applaud the fans who still keep fighting for our traditions, and a big thanks must go to our away support. Its fantastic when you hear all the songs getting belted out at the away games while the Handringers and the hobby horses are away shopping or playing cricket or having all their timmy pals round for dinner.

The old Rangers is gone because of all the Handringers, the Hobby Horses, the not in my name mob, and the people who run our club. But i still applaud the fans who still keep fighting for our traditions, and a big thanks must go to our away support. Its fantastic when you hear all the songs getting belted out at the away games while the Handringers and the hobby horses are away shopping or playing cricket or having all their timmy pals round for dinner.

Are you suggesting that singing TFS is part of Rangers tradition ?

i would love to hear PROPER Rangers songs being sung at Ibrox leave the tit for tat banter for the streets and the pubs .

i would love to hear PROPER Rangers songs being sung at Ibrox leave the tit for tat banter for the streets and the pubs .

No i am not. :)

So you think banter should be removed from the terraces?

I'd contend that is one part of the charm which has made football so popular over the years and contributes to the unique nature of its atmosphere.

Of course some people go too far - and involving the potato blight in song certainly approaches that - but we have to be careful not to cut off our nose to spite our face just because the odd temporary chant may offend.

NO SURRENDER TO THE IRA

Some of these arent Rangers songs.... and were not always sung by the fans. The traditions start from the start of our club not the late 60's and early 70's...

So what exactly was sung in 1872?

Fully agree

:clap:

I'd contend that is one part of the charm which has made football so popular over the years and contributes to the unique nature of its atmosphere.

Of course some people go too far - and involving the potato blight in song certainly approaches that - but we have to be careful not to cut off our nose to spite our face just because the odd temporary chant may offend.

I didnt quite make that clear did i :doh: i mean the "banter" such as TFS and other such things if its going to be deemed " racist" by judges in court then im against that of course as i dont want a criminal record. Banter is fine if its in context of the game. (tu)

I didnt quite make that clear did i :doh: i mean the "banter" such as TFS and other such things if its going to be deemed " racist" by judges in court then im against that of course as i dont want a criminal record. Banter is fine if its in context of the game. (tu)

Its not racist though, not at all and the scum would hope all of our fans have your defeatist attitude when it comes to singing a song which is in no way racist.

Its not racist though, not at all and the scum would hope all of our fans have your defeatist attitude when it comes to singing a song which is in no way racist.

a JUDGE has ruled that its a racist song whats so hard to understand :doh: im not saying its racist ffs wish people would read before they batter their keyboard like a mongo with the mumps ffs

p.s i have a defeatist attitude because i dont want a criminal record which could lead to me losing my job. well then call me a defeatist then ya pleb (tu)

reason for edit: no need for the swearing so have edited it out (tu)

:thumbup:

Don't take offence to this,But this is why the Atmosphere is shite at Ibrox.

The atmosphere is shite because a lot of people there are glory hunters and are spoiled by success...the booing of players etc etc. We have plenty songs that dont have any possible misinterpretations of racist or sectarian songs yet we hardly sing them. Why do some of us just like the (apparent)bad ones? Right now scumdicks fans love it when we hang ourselves with the constant "they sing stuff so why shouldnt we" We need to be smarter than that. The clubs reputation is at stake

:thumbup:

No i am not. :)

:) just wasnt sure there (tu)

Right thats it im f****** sick of this i dont no how some people can call them selves rangers fans GET UP AND SING if dirty rebels can sing what ever the f*** they want then we have equal right , we are the only club that gets picked on like this and the biggest chunk of our support accepts it and thinks its right dont let them bully you into changing , personally i dont care if they deduct points id rather support a mid table rangers that is aloud to sing and embrace its history and heritage , than support a fake rangers with all the points in the world but will not allow there fans to be themselves and forces them to forget evreything that once made us rangers fans i for one will sing as loud and proud as i want untill the day they ban me

What songs are you referring too and what part of our 'history and heritage' do you mean? Serious question.

I think the original poster should perhaps amplify what he means by 'i dont no how some people can call them selves rangers fans' and 'to sing and embrace its history and heritage'

There are songs, that have become popular in the 70's - 90's, but dont necessarily reflect the clubs history or origins. Similarly, if you choose not to sing certain songs (or words, FTP eg), then it doesnt make you less of a Rangers fan..

Granted there are 'dark forces' in politics & the media this will always seek to vilify Rangers, but adopting the principle of 'I'm going to sing what I want and who cares about the implications to the club', is in fact playing into their hands.

The smart move is, as another poster suggests, is box clever ! Dont give them ammo, and given enough rope they will indeed be outed as 'mopes !

Nothing stopping us singing 'Uber Proddy' songs, but perhaps (tin hat on now), some of us should reflect about what the word Protestant means.

I love this club, and always will, I sing songs, but in reality, I'm not a religious person, dont attaned church, albeit I'd never critisise anyone who does.

Perhaps, just perhaps, some of us, take this defender of the faith thing to serious - especially if you are no more religious than the next guy on the street.

In these times of ultra PC, we need to be smart, and dont give Timmy and the press more ammo than they have - thats the intelligent way brothers n sisters.

a JUDGE has ruled that its a racist song whats so hard to understand :doh: im not saying its racist ffs wish people would read before they batter their keyboard like a mongo with the mumps ffs

p.s i have a defeatist attitude because i dont want a criminal record which could lead to me losing my job. well then call me a defeatist then ya pleb (tu)

A judge also sentenced a sectarian stabber to 4 years and a child rapist to 18 months so alot of judges are wrong

A judge also sentenced a sectarian stabber to 4 years and a child rapist to 18 months so alot of judges are wrong

Correcto mundo fellow Bear but im not risking getting jail time for singing a song thats got fuck all to do with football (tu)

this thread must be a joke surely

Why is it a joke.

just seems to me like one of they fishing threads because the op is just ridiculous and some of the things that have been said seem like a wind up

NO SURRENDER TO THE IRA

This - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty_Years_On_(song)

Spot on!

NO SURRENDER TO THE IRA

This - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty_Years_On_(song)

I'll have to ask minstral about that, he was at most of the games around then.