Our Father, who art in Rosneath.

I took advantage of the fine weather today and went to Garelochhead and surrounding villages, the birthplace of our Founders “The Gallant Pioneers”. I had been there before, however, after reading Gary Ralstons excellently researched book, Rangers 1872 The Gallant Pioneers I decided to go back, mainly to locate the final resting place of the man who gave us our name The Rangers.

The grave that Moses McNeil rests in does not have his name on it, it is his sister and brother in law whos names are on the headstone, barely visible through the ravages of time. Ralston in his book does not give the exact location of the grave so I had to search about. It isn’t a big graveyard so it wasn t long before I found it.

For any other Pilgrims who wish to go there it is easy enough to find. Coming from Garelochhead into Rosneath at the centre of the village there is a road on the right called The Clachan walk up there past the Co-op and Post office and a row of cottages on the left is the Graveyard. There is a small cottage next to it go to the left as if you are going to the cottage and just past it on the right is the gate for the graveyard.

In front of you there is a ruined church, go through it and on the other side of it to the right 2/3 rows up is the Resting place of Moses. To make it easier to spot I left a bunch of roses (roses for moses) in the shape of an M. I also made a wee cairn of stones in front of it. Then names on the head stone are Duncan Gray and Elizabeth McNeil, Elizabeth is the easier one to make out.

008.jpg

(tu) Excellent mate.

Does anyone know if anything is happening with us cleaning the grave up etc?

I was really interested in helping with this.

think you would have to sort that out with the minister as the 100yr thing might come into play at some point soon

(tu) Excellent mate.

Apparently there are talks with Rangers and the Rosneath community council to have a memorial or something put there. Something must be done about william mcBeath in an unmarked grave in Lincoln. I feel strongly about it and am planning to go to Lincoln and put something there

In this place lie the remains of William McBeath.

Who ,along with 3 friends in 1872 had an idea to start a football team.

That football team became Rangers FC.

We are the People.

(tu) Excellent mate.

Apparently there are talks with Rangers and the Rosneath community council to have a memorial or something put there. Something must be done about william mcBeath in an unmarked grave in Lincoln. I feel strongly about it and am planning to go to Lincoln and put something there

We are the People.

Is there anywhere we can donate towards a headstone at least. This should not be.

(tu) Excellent mate.

We are the People.

Is there anywhere we can donate towards a headstone at least. This should not be.

It would be great if RM could start an appeal for this and get a cracking headstone made on behalf of the board through donations etc.

(tu) Excellent mate.

We are the People.

It would be great if RM could start an appeal for this and get a cracking headstone made on behalf of the board through donations etc.

Indeed.

We shouldn't let this lie.

Good work on the original post as well there mate.

(tu) Excellent mate.

We are the People.

Brilliant, Im in for a donation. Can the more experienced posters arrange this.

Brilliant, Im in for a donation. Can the more experienced posters arrange this.

I posted this on another thread. There is a Founders Committee already set up and they are fundraising for things just like this. See e-mail address that I have highlighted. This is something that all Bears can work together on. No point in re-inventing the wheel.

Project Launch: The Commemoration & Celebration of Rangers' Founders

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“The greatest rags to riches story in the history of sport.” That is a quote which has been applied to Rangers by a number of different writers and Rangers fans and there is little in there that can be argued with. When the four young men who founded Rangers did so in 1872, it is impossible not to ponder on where they saw their vision going. Would they have dreamed that they were the founding force behind a football team that would grow into not just a football team but an institution that took a special place at the heart of Scottish society and which became a focal point for Scots and Ulster-Scots even after they had emigrated? Would they dream that their creation would reach out and establish roots in all four corners of the world? Would they dream that their creation would become the most successful football Club in the world? We can only speculate as to what the Gallant Pioneers were thinking when they first kicked a ball all those years ago; but we can and will promote their dream, their ethics, their drive and determination to succeed, their character, a word synonymous with all true Rangers.

The reasons behind the project to commemorate the Founders are many, but essentially, it has been felt among a circle of Rangers supporters that not enough is known about them, nor is enough done to promote them. This, we hope to rectify through a series of events and promotions which, it is hoped, will spread the word about the origins of our great and proud institution and also to introduce the names of the young boys who founded Rangers to younger Rangers fans worldwide, in the hope that the reputation of the pioneers is given the audience it deserves.

There might not seem an obvious date to launch this campaign as it does not correspond with an anniversary that is immediately familiar; however, the campaign is the culmination of a lot of behind the scenes work that has been going on over the past few years and is now on the verge of coming to fruition.

As will become evident in the coming weeks and months, there are a number of exciting projects planned, participation in which will be open to all Rangers supporters in the interests of fundraising. Possibly, the most prominent ones will be a plaque that will be put on permanent display at Glasgow Green (which is what the fundraising will be directed towards), a banner and a book which will be released later on in the year. It is also hoped that the Club’s participation will involve having a Founders’ Day at Ibrox, coinciding with a home fixture next season. There will also be a dinner, a sponsored walk and a football tournament which will undoubtedly be popular. People can make contact with the committee either on here or by e-mailing gallantpioneers@hotmail.co.uk

Further details and prices will be released in due course and fans can also make donations via the following link https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...ton_id=5012396 in order to help see everything come to fruition. The story of Rangers is a long and wonderful one – you can play your part in getting it told.

That'd be a great idea (tu)

And well done 4BAAB for going up there, that's brilliant! :D

I just looked at the book you mentioned on Amazon, i know what my next purchase will be when i get back from holiday :D This book is new out it seems, i've not seen it before? Date is as 30th July, but that can't be right, haha.

I just looked at the book you mentioned on Amazon, i know what my next purchase will be when i get back from holiday :D This book is new out it seems, i've not seen it before? Date is as 30th July, but that can't be right, haha.

I got it in WH Smith in Glasgow city centre last week.

I got it in WH Smith in Glasgow city centre last week.

Cheers, i'm coming up to Glasgow on the 4th August, so i'll go get it around then (tu)

Ralston said in the book that the club are making efforts to restore the graves of the Founders but don't want to publicise it for fear of vandalism. The tims to be exact.

Would be nice if they could maybe erect a Founders statue at Ibrox to honour them

Ralston said in the book that the club are making efforts to restore the graves of the Founders but don't want to publicise it for fear of vandalism. The tims to be exact.

Would be nice if they could maybe erect a Founders statue at Ibrox to honour them

well we have seen what has happened to Davie Cooper's statue so its good thinking from the club. A statue at the ground would be ideal or maybe even renaming one of the stands after Moses McNeil with hospitality suites being named after the other founders. Just a thought.