**The Official Rangers 3 vs 2 Man City match thread**

Gaz52

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has Boyd played much at all this pre-season?

Not much at all. Not a full game so far. 45 minutes, half hour vs PSG? Half hour also in Germany?

The way i see it with Boyd is Walter is weighing his options on view, to either cash in or offer a new contract.

The longer this goes on without us offering a new contract, the more I'm convinced we'll desperately yet again try to punt Boyd.

It's a bit weird mate.

Our 'main' striker has had about 70 minutes of pre-season action and there's no way he'll play the full 90 against City or Pompey.

Makes me wonder what's really happening with him.

Why won't he play the full 90 minutes ?

I just assumed he would unless I've missed something ?

Bougherra doesn't plan on sitting back and admiring the Premier League outfit.

"I don't know who will play up front for Manchester City," said Boogie.

"Maybe it will be Tevez and Adebayor. I don't know what their plans will be but it's a challenge I welcome.

"Who wouldn't want to play against those players? There are many other top players at Manchester City. The money they have spent this summer means they could be a force in the Premier League.

"But we are the home team, we will have our supporters behind us as it is the first game at Ibrox this season and we will be looking to win the game."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...2523841.0.0.php

Rangers fans are in for a treat tomorrow night when Manchester City come calling.

I know people are moaning about City splashing the cash, but manager Mark Hughes will care not one jot about that as long as they lift silverware at the end of the season.

When you have money on the scale that Hughes has had to lavish on new players, it can bring challenges that are of a different nature to normal experiences.

But he has done it all as a player and he has a great wealth of experience from which to draw on to manage the egos of the likes of Robinho and Tevez. I do expect it will be testing for him, though.

With regards to the game, it will provide a real test for Rangers as I expect City to go with the big guns. Their friendly results have not been good so far and they will be desperate to get a win and start to find some rhythm.

So, make no mistake, their visit to Ibrox is important.

My old Chelsea team-mate Eddie Niedzwiecki is No.2 to Mark Hughes and he has told me how seriously they are taking this game.

In that regard, it will be interesting to see if Walter Smith goes with the more defensive lone striker formation he used at the Emirates against Arsenal last Sunday and treats this like a top European tie.

Walter has taken on a tough pre-season schedule with plenty of Premiership opposition, including the trip south to meet Portsmouth on Saturday to make sure Rangers are ready for Falkirk at Ibrox on August 15. I am sure they will benefit.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...523842.0.0.php#

---------------------------- Alexander ----------------------------

Whittaker ---------- Weir ------------- Bougherra ---------- Papac

---------------------------- Thomson ----------------------------

---------------------- Davis --------- Mendes --------------------

Novo ----------------------- Lafferty -------------------- Naismith

That team would beat Man City no problem.

Rangers 2-1 Man City

Novo

Davis

MONNA RANGERS :rangers:

:alexander:

:whittaker: :weir: :bougherra: :ssmith:

:davis: :mendes:

:Naismith:

:novo: :boyd: :aaron:

Apart from S. Smith at LB (Mr. Reliable Papac instead please) I really like the look of this as an attacking team!!

:whittaker: :weir: :bougherra: :ssmith:

:novo: :boyd: :aaron:

Apart from S. Smith at LB (Mr. Reliable Papac instead please) I really like the look of this as an attacking team!!

Smith needs game time and hopefully he will be used in defence rather than midfield so I'd quite like our squad players to be fit also. Especially in defence.

:whittaker: :bougherra: :wilson: :papac:

:miller:

:novo: :boyd: :Naismith:

Miller's not great at scoring but quick and can take on defenders, could also double back as a pacy midfielder chasing their midfield all day, you would then have three pacy forwards supplying boyd! Plus I think Big Davie looked whacked and stayed down a bit longer than normal, give Wilson a chance its a pre-season game after all.

Just a thought

MANCHESTER CITY boss Mark Hughes reckons tonight's Ibrox clash will be the perfect preparation for his multi-million pound force with the Premiership kick-off just 10 days away.

City's results have been mixed in the build-up, losing twice in South Africa and scrambling a last-minute draw with Barnsley last weekend.

However, Hughes says tonight's Rangers game will be vital in his team's preparataions and new signings Emanuel Adebayor, Gareth Barry and Kolo Toure are all set to feature.

Hughes said: "We're looking forward to it, a good game against quality opposition. No doubt there will be a good crowd at Ibrox to get the competitive juices going so it will be ideal preparation for the new season.

"We are looking to step up our preparation now. People have tried to read significance into our results so far because of the focus on us, but those games were more about fitness in the grand scheme of things.

"We have got issues with injuries. Carlos Tevez is not training with the group yet and won't travel, but Gareth Barry will train and we'll look to introduce him at some stage. Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor are available and will take part.

"You know the standard of games like this will be high, and there's always a little bit of feeling in cross-border games!That's a little edge you need going into the season will be there.

"Don't imagine that playing the Scots means any less to a Welshman than an Englishman! That old celtic rivalry comes into it.

"You look at their stadium and their fans, it's a great place to play and perfect preparation."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/He...1743688,00.html

MANCHESTER CITY boss Mark Hughes reckons tonight's Ibrox clash will be the perfect preparation for his multi-million pound force with the Premiership kick-off just 10 days away.

City's results have been mixed in the build-up, losing twice in South Africa and scrambling a last-minute draw with Barnsley last weekend.

However, Hughes says tonight's Rangers game will be vital in his team's preparataions and new signings Emanuel Adebayor, Gareth Barry and Kolo Toure are all set to feature.

Hughes said: "We're looking forward to it, a good game against quality opposition. No doubt there will be a good crowd at Ibrox to get the competitive juices going so it will be ideal preparation for the new season.

"We are looking to step up our preparation now. People have tried to read significance into our results so far because of the focus on us, but those games were more about fitness in the grand scheme of things.

"We have got issues with injuries. Carlos Tevez is not training with the group yet and won't travel, but Gareth Barry will train and we'll look to introduce him at some stage. Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor are available and will take part.

"You know the standard of games like this will be high, and there's always a little bit of feeling in cross-border games!That's a little edge you need going into the season will be there.

"Don't imagine that playing the Scots means any less to a Welshman than an Englishman! That old celtic rivalry comes into it.

"You look at their stadium and their fans, it's a great place to play and perfect preparation."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/He...1743688,00.html

Go fuck yourself Hughes. :pipe:

:whittaker: :bougherra: :weir: :papac:

:thomson:

:miller: :fleck:

I'm going too:thumbup: Little bit disspointed Tevez can't play :( Was looking foward to seeing him.

I think we have a really good chance of beating them , they've only won about 1 friendly so far.

Rangers2-0ManCity

Naismith

Mendes

Speaking in the Rangers News, he said: "It is a very different club now.

"There are a lot of new faces and they are going to be a great team.

"They have a great gaffer in Mark Hughes, and once everything falls into place, I think they will be a really good side.

"They will be fighting for the Premier League title in my opinion.

"I loved my time down there. They are a family club and I was really excited to be part of it all for a year on loan.

"I still have some friends there like Micah Richards and Stevie Ireland. I look forward to seeing them.

"I would love to play against them.

"It's always great for a player to play against his old team.

"It will be good to play a home game against a team like City and I'm sure it will be a good contest."

Elsewhere, former Portsmouth and Spurs midfielder Pedro Mendes is looking forward to squaring up to his old City sparring partners.

He said: "In my first half season at Ports-mouth I scored one of my best goals against them to win the game.

"The incident where I got injured when an elbow in the face from Ben Thatcher left him unconscious isn't something I really want to talk about."

Publication date 05/08/09

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...2524037.0.0.php