***The Official Rangers v Falkirk Thread*** Rangers 4-1 Falkirk

Muff

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's the first game of the season and we have 6 players either out injured or suspended; Thomson (not yet fit), Edu, Broadfoot, Papac, Lafferty and Novo.

This is without even playing our first competitive game of the season, a season that is going to be very tough. The squad is far too thin, lop sided and lacking in quality.

Nice to see your staying positive Muff.

It's there for everyone to see!

.. seems Mendez is also added to that list - day 1 and already we have issues with injuries / suspensions - small squad - long season :-(

Still optomistic though!

My team for tomorrow would be

McGregor

Whittaker Weir Bougherra Smith

Beasley Davis Mendes

Fleck

Boyd Miller

I think Walter will go with

Alexander

Whittaker Weir Bougherra Smith

Davis Mendes McCulloch Naismith

Boyd Miller

I think Walter will go with Alexander, but I would go with the better keeper in McGregor. The back 4 picks itself. McCulloch is a cert to start in the middle beside Mendes, meaing Davis will again be shunted wider, and I think it will be Boyd and Miller up front, so that only really elaves the wide left midfield slot. Naismith's good pre-season form might edge it ahead of more natural wide players like Aaron and Beasley, or others who have played there like Fleck.

I would probably try Fleck in the hole where it seems is probably his best position, and play Davis/Mendes in centre midfield with Beasley on the wing due to a real lack of alternatives and I also believe he has the talent and is worth another chance.

I would expect us to be up against a defensive Falkirk formation in the post-Hughes era, and in Eddie May's first game he will be desperate not to get thumped. We need therefore more creativity to open them up, and for that reason (amongst about 1000 others) I would leave McCulloch in the stands, but I know Walter will play his blue-eyed boy blunder yet again. Hurry back Thommo and Mo.

Since Mendes is out, I'd go with;

:alexander:

:whittaker: :bougherra: :weir: :ssmith:

:davis: :mcculloch: :Naismith:

:aaron: :boyd: :miller:

Naismith impressed me when he came on in the middle against PSG, attacking from a deeper position, so I'd give him a slot in the middle with the ability to move him forward and bring Thomson on in the middle if things aren't going to plan.

Official text just came in there:

GERS TEAM NEWS: Mendes, Novo, Edu & Broadfoot miss Falkirk through injury, Papac and Lafferty are banned.

Stevie Smith will play left-back.

By Andrew Dickson

PEDRO MENDES has been added to Rangers' injury list and he'll miss tomorrow's SPL opener against Falkirk at Ibrox.

The Portuguese midfielder has a slight thigh problem and that will keep him out of the season curtain-raiser.

Manager Walter Smith is optimistic, however, that the former Portsmouth man won't be out for long and he should play at Hearts next weekend.

Mendes is one of six players who will not play in the first match of the league season against Eddie May's Bairns.

Nacho Novo is also sidelined because of the dislocated shoulder he suffered a week ago, while long-term crocks Maurice Edu and Kirk Broadfoot are continuing their rehabs.

Added to that, Sasa Papac serves a one-match ban and Kyle Lafferty begins a three-game domestic suspension.

With Mendes out, Smith must now decide whether to start Kevin Thomson or bring him on as a substitute.

The former Hibs midfielder hasn't played competitively since he suffered cruciate knee ligament damage against Kilmarnock more than nine months ago.

Ideally, the likes of Mendes, Lee McCulloch and Steven Davis would all start ahead of him at present as Thomson looks to build up his fitness.

And while Smith may yet include him in the first XI, it's perhaps more likely the 24-year-old will begin amongst the substitutes.

The manager said: "We've lost quite a few of our players for this one but we've still got a good squad there and we're ready to go."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/He...1755023,00.html

if arron can get a run in the team

we might get an idea of how good he really is

I think this is a year for the youngsters to get a chance i.e. wilson,shinnie,campbell,loy,little

ma team would be

:alexander:

:whittaker: :bougherra: :weir: :ssmith:

:davis: :Naismith: :mcculloch: :aaron:

:miller: :boyd:

So it's the first game of the season and we have 6 players either out injured or suspended; Thomson (not yet fit), Edu, Broadfoot, Papac, Lafferty and Novo.

This is without even playing our first competitive game of the season, a season that is going to be very tough. The squad is far too thin, lop sided and lacking in quality.

Nice to see your staying positive Muff.

It's there for everyone to see!

.. seems Mendez is also added to that list - day 1 and already we have issues with injuries / suspensions - small squad - long season :-(

Still optomistic though!

When your competing in four competitions you don't reduce your squad numbers drastically. You also strengthen and bring in a bit of quality, but not Rangers.

We're going to struggle this season.

Absolutely dreading the trip to Tynecastle already.

I'd play :

----------------------------- Alexander -----------------------------

Whittaker ------------- Bougherra ---- Weir ------------------- Smith

----------------------------- McCulloch -----------------------------

----------------------- Davis ---------- Fleck -----------------------

Naismith ----------------------- Boyd ------------------------- Aaron

SWoS will play :

----------------------------- Alexander -----------------------------

Whittaker ------------- Bougherra ---- Weir ------------------- Smith

Naismith ----------------- McCulloch ---- Davis ---------------- Fleck

----------------------- Boyd ---------- Mhiller -----------------------

Rangers 3 - 0 Falkirk

Boyd (2)

Davis

-Alexander-

-Little-Bougherra-Weir-Whittaker-

-Davis-McCulloch-Fleck-

-Miller-Boyd-Naismith-

That just goes to show how poor our squad really is!

Struggling to put out a decent team on the 1st day of the new season.

-Alexander-

-Davis-McCulloch-Fleck-

-Miller-Boyd-Naismith-

Does say on the Rangers website that Stevie Smith will start at left-back tho see where you're coming from.

"Kevin Thomson is back and available. He's fit and will be involved but I don't think he's quite ready to start a game yet. So we could be a bit tight if we hit a bad run of injuries and suspensions. We've lost a few players from the group we had last year. Effectively we had to cut down a bit but I would still hope though that we've got enough. As long as we avoid a heavy injury list we should be okay.

"Sometimes when you lose a few of your players to injury you don't have to think too much about team selection. You just go with what you've got left. We're okay in terms of going out there against Falkirk. With the injuries we've got we may change it a bit in the weeks ahead but I don't think that's a bad thing at this stage of the season. We'll make sure everyone's got a good level of match fitness."

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines...for_rangers.php

-Alexander-

-Davis-McCulloch-Fleck-

-Miller-Boyd-Naismith-

Does say on the Rangers website that Stevie Smith will start at left-back tho see where you're coming from.

WTF? <cr>

Has Smith even played a pre season game yet?

had a couple of appearances, was ill though towards the end but featured v pompey IIRC. Playing stevie smith at LB would be as much a gamble as playing Wylde

I think we might line up with either

Davis - Mcculloch - Fleck

Naismith - Boyd - Miller

or Aaron - Davis - Mcculloch - Beasley

Boyd - Miller

Just so we can keep naismith on the bench as the only other striker would be little (and loy if we bring him in)