Alastair Johnston on our CL group and becoming our new Chairman

Boab

NEW Rangers chairman Alastair Johnston swept into power at Ibrox and declared: We can march into the last 16 of the Champions League.

Sir David Murray's successor couldn't hide his delight as Walter Smith's side were drawn alongside Spaniards Sevilla, German outfit Stuttgart and Romanian champs Unirea Urziceni.

Johnston was relieved Gers avoided ALL the big hitters and feels it leaves them with a realistic chance of qualifying from Group G.

In his first interview since taking over from Murray on Wednesday, he said: "I don't think it would have been possible for us to hand pick a better group.

"Obviously this is the Champions League we're talking about and under no circumstances would we expect to have anything easy.

"This will still be a challenge for the team but let's just say the draw could have been a lot harder when you look at some of the clubs we've avoided.

"It really has given us some rays of sunlight. We're not going to be complacent but it couldn't have been much better."

US-based Johnston, also vice-chairman of sports entertainment group IMG, believes the race to finish in the top two is wide open.

He said: "The irony is in these draws the perceived wisdom is to wish for a really strong team out of Pot 1. But normally it's also a team so much better than the rest that they sweep everyone else aside.

"That then leaves the three other teams in the section fighting it out for second and third place.

"But this group promises to be a far more competitive affair. I'm not sure you could say any of the teams in the section would be red-hot favourites at this stage.

"Sevilla are obviously a strong side and we know all about Stuttgart in the Champions League.

"My knowledge of the Romanian side is not all it could be but overall we go into this campaign feeling as if we have a realistic chance of making the last 16."

Johnston revealed he'd been mulling over making the step up to chairman from his role on the board since February.

Now he's confident he is in a better position to call the shots.

He explained: "It hasn't come out the blue as I've been talking to David about exactly this for the best part of the last six months. When he mentioned it to me at first my quick reaction was to ask for time to think about it and there may have to be some conditions attached.

"The primary condition has always been that I'll only do this job if I feel I can do something positive and contribute to the further success of Rangers.

"Perhaps the most important thing right now is I can offer independence as chairman.

"David has been a wonderful chairman but I think he'd admit there were times when he was conflicted because of his dual roles with Murray International and Rangers. Much as though I'm aware Murray International remains our majority shareholder I feel I'm in a better position to act in the interests of Rangers.

"There's been a lot of doom and gloom recently but if we qualify for the last 16 of the Champions League then that will come as a timely ray of sunshine.

"But we have to be realistic and remember there will always be so many variables that can affect our business plan. Anyone who doesn't realise this just needs reminding of one word: Kaunas!"

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...g-sweet-16.html

NEW Rangers chairman Alastair Johnston swept into power at Ibrox and declared: We can march into the last 16 of the Champions League.

Sir David Murray's successor couldn't hide his delight as Walter Smith's side were drawn alongside Spaniards Sevilla, German outfit Stuttgart and Romanian champs Unirea Urziceni.

Johnston was relieved Gers avoided ALL the big hitters and feels it leaves them with a realistic chance of qualifying from Group G.

In his first interview since taking over from Murray on Wednesday, he said: "I don't think it would have been possible for us to hand pick a better group.

"Obviously this is the Champions League we're talking about and under no circumstances would we expect to have anything easy.

"This will still be a challenge for the team but let's just say the draw could have been a lot harder when you look at some of the clubs we've avoided.

"It really has given us some rays of sunlight. We're not going to be complacent but it couldn't have been much better."

US-based Johnston, also vice-chairman of sports entertainment group IMG, believes the race to finish in the top two is wide open.

He said: "The irony is in these draws the perceived wisdom is to wish for a really strong team out of Pot 1. But normally it's also a team so much better than the rest that they sweep everyone else aside.

"That then leaves the three other teams in the section fighting it out for second and third place.

"But this group promises to be a far more competitive affair. I'm not sure you could say any of the teams in the section would be red-hot favourites at this stage.

"Sevilla are obviously a strong side and we know all about Stuttgart in the Champions League.

"My knowledge of the Romanian side is not all it could be but overall we go into this campaign feeling as if we have a realistic chance of making the last 16."

Johnston revealed he'd been mulling over making the step up to chairman from his role on the board since February.

He explained: "It hasn't come out the blue as I've been talking to David about exactly this for the best part of the last six months. When he mentioned it to me at first my quick reaction was to ask for time to think about it and there may have to be some conditions attached.

"The primary condition has always been that I'll only do this job if I feel I can do something positive and contribute to the further success of Rangers.

"Perhaps the most important thing right now is I can offer independence as chairman.

"David has been a wonderful chairman but I think he'd admit there were times when he was conflicted because of his dual roles with Murray International and Rangers. Much as though I'm aware Murray International remains our majority shareholder I feel I'm in a better position to act in the interests of Rangers.

"There's been a lot of doom and gloom recently but if we qualify for the last 16 of the Champions League then that will come as a timely ray of sunshine.

"But we have to be realistic and remember there will always be so many variables that can affect our business plan. Anyone who doesn't realise this just needs reminding of one word: Kaunas!"

I am REALLY liking the cut of this guys gib!

He is coming over, almost as a fan as well as the chairman, and, not a new age fan either. He also seems pro-active, or at least, active in the media, which is something we havent had in a long time. Hugely positive release this, and, seems he has more confidence in Rangers ability than a lot of fans do. The chairman talking about winning the champions league group! Fantastic!

Anybody else get the feeling that better times are just around the corner down Ibrox way?

Youngsters establishing themselves in the 1st team, good draw in the CL, a new Chairman who seems to have a bit of enthusiasm and off to a good start in the league.

Bring it on.

That is a quite amazing statement from the new Chairman.

He is making it clear that Murray did not always act in the best interests of the club, due to his conflicting business interests.

What to take out of that?

Could it be that some of the outsourcing to Murray Companies was not in the club's best interests?

Could it be that his refusal to take on the media was due to a deal regarding other business issues?

Anyone else have any other ideas on what this astonishing statement is referring to?

Either way, the new Chiarman is here now and I am glad to hear him state right from day one that he will act independantly and not simply be a token Chairman who does the majority shareholders bidding at all times. Obviously as chairman he can be ousted at any time by Murray, but I cant really see Murray doing that again, I think he has genuinely had enough this time.

Now Alastair, this media relations stuff, and the museum, and ticketing, and matchday atmosphere.........

Anybody else get the feeling that better times are just around the corner down Ibrox way?

Youngsters establishing themselves in the 1st team, good draw in the CL, a new Chairman who seems to have a bit of enthusiasm and off to a good start in the league.

Bring it on.

definitely feeling more optimistic I just hope we can get a CB before Monday night to do a job share with Davie

He is coming over, almost as a fan as well as the chairman, and, not a new age fan either. He also seems pro-active, or at least, active in the media, which is something we havent had in a long time. Hugely positive release this, and, seems he has more confidence in Rangers ability than a lot of fans do. The chairman talking about winning the champions league group! Fantastic!

(tu)

A great first statement from the new chairman. I'm excited by the prospect of having a genuine Rangers fan with an absolute wealth of experience in international sport as chairman. Good times ahead! :D

I'd also have picked out these quotes:

"When he mentioned it to me at first my quick reaction was to ask for time to think about it and there may have to be some conditions attached.

He is making it clear that Murray did not always act in the best interests of the club, due to his conflicting business interests.

Could it be that some of the outsourcing to Murray Companies was not in the club's best interests?

Could it be that his refusal to take on the media was due to a deal regarding other business issues?

Anyone else have any other ideas on what this astonishing statement is referring to?

Either way, the new Chiarman is here now and I am glad to hear him state right from day one that he will act independantly and not simply be a token Chairman who does the majority shareholders bidding at all times. Obviously as chairman he can be ousted at any time by Murray, but I cant really see Murray doing that again, I think he has genuinely had enough this time.

Now Alastair, this media relations stuff, and the museum, and ticketing, and matchday atmosphere.........

It does get better, and more interesting with each read of it. I keep picking up little bits like that. Certainly throws some doubt into things, at the same time, in a way that cant really be faulted

It does get better, and more interesting with each read of it. I keep picking up little bits like that. Certainly throws some doubt into things, at the same time, in a way that cant really be faulted

You do realise that he will never publicly come out and declare his displeasure at how the club was run... Murray is still the owner... Murray will always have the final say on ANY major decision.

"David has been a wonderful chairman but I think he'd admit there were times when he was conflicted because of his dual roles with Murray International and Rangers. Much as though I'm aware Murray International remains our majority shareholder I feel I'm in a better position to act in the interests of Rangers

Interesting, very interesting indeed.......

I think it may simply mean he didn't have the time to focus solely on Rangers but you are right it's certainly a bold first statement that is open to interpretation.

He certainly seems to be his own man going by that.

You do realise that he will never publicly come out and declare his displeasure at how the club was run... Murray is still the owner... Murray will always have the final say on ANY major decision.

Of course, hence what he said here, which makes it clear without saying it. We can hope that when Murray is bought out, perhaps a few more truths will come out. Then again, the man appears to know what he is doing, and, probably wouldnt lower himself to that level.

I am looking forward to seeing what happens with us in the next couple of weeks, I would expect a couple of surprises

He really carries himself well in that statement. I couldn't ask for a better first press release, the guy obviously has the media savvy to go far with this job. I really hope he's at the game on Saturday and the crowd give him a huge chair, let him know that we're looking forward to him taking us to even greater heights as a club.

He really carries himself well in that statement. I couldn't ask for a better first press release, the guy obviously has the media savvy to go far with this job. I really hope he's at the game on Saturday and the crowd give him a huge chair, let him know that we're looking forward to him taking us to even greater heights as a club.

Has he got a fat arse? :unsure:

Interesting comment about SDM's dual purpose with Murray International and how that probably fought for his focus. Good comments and sounds like someone that loves the club, will be 'independent' -- one of the 'conditions' I imagine -- and has Rangers best interest at heart.

Say what you will about SDM. But it looks like he has picked the right guy for the job. Well done SDM.

:lol:

He does sound like a fan and I like that. He also seems to be taking a very, very subtle dig at SDM's running of Rangers.

:lol: fuck! Obviously meant cheer. Obviously was thinking chairman at the time and mixed up my typing in my rush.

Sounds like a Rangers man.

And a football man.

I'm liking Mr Johnston already ;)

Think the guy is a breath of fresh air, only a shame (so far) he didnt buy out murray at the same time.

I think the "conditions" were murray leave the board as well. Just a hunch

Sounds like a Rangers man.

And a football man.

I'm liking Mr Johnston already ;)

Think the guy is a breath of fresh air, only a shame (so far) he didnt buy out murray at the same time.

I think the "conditions" were murray leave the board as well. Just a hunch

That's what I took out of that too. Just think he wanted to make sure that he wouldn't just be a figurehead and he could really make some changes and run the club his way rather than having Murray lurking in the shadows pulling the strings.