Would you agree/diasgree with this statement

OrangeBurn

Kris Boyd  

336 members have voted

1. 1. Kris Boyd is the best finisher is Scotland, but one of the worst Strikers in Scotland

• Agree
    • Disagree

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not in regards to Boyd not being the best finisher. if he is not then who is. if you are of the opinion someone else is you would need to back it up with a name.

I have (tu) Oh and judging by Kevin Kyle's performances recently, he's a better finisher. He's been scoring almost all the chances the limited Killie team give him.

Kris Boyd didn't do too badly for Killie either.

Granted. Kyle is on some shit hot form just now, and has scored some very good goals. I've not seen much of Kyle outwith his time at Killie and although I don't rate him as a particularly good player (or anywhere near Rangers quality) I would say he is a very good finisher.

Yeah, he's doing well for Killie but I was just making the point that Boyd scored shit-loads for a struggling team as well. So did Naismith who I would like to see up-front.

Yeah, he's doing well for Killie but I was just making the point that Boyd scored shit-loads for a struggling team as well. So did Naismith who I would like to see up-front.

I'm not totally sure, but I think Kyle's record at Killie is better than Boyd's. I also don't believe Boyd is a bad finisher. He's pretty good actually. Just not great. Naismith I think (and hope) will find his finishing again soon!

It is so far but Kyle has shown nothing that suggests that he can keep up this run. He has never been prolific before but maybe he's found his level.

Naismith has proved that he can finish but he will not be given a sustained run up-front IMO. Smith prefers Miller, Boyd and even Lafferty up there and is set on using Naismith out wide.

Out of all those goals, how many required genuinely great finishes? A large number were examples of a striker who knows how to be in the right place. It als doesn't show you all his misses either...

They all count at the same value and somebody has to be there to take the chances.

Out of all those goals, how many required genuinely great finishes? A large number were examples of a striker who knows how to be in the right place. It als doesn't show you all his misses either...

Goals a goal. Couldn't care if it's a 50 yard screamer, or a tap in.

It's being in the right place at the right time and having that natural goal scoring ability.

Of course it doesn't show the misses doh:lol:

Goals a goal. Couldn't care if it's a 50 yard screamer, or a tap in.

It's being in the right place at the right time and having that natural goal scoring ability.

Of course it doesn't show the misses doh:lol:

I know! Just like what I've been saying all along!

:anguish: i'm too tired and lost in this conversation now :lol:

Boyd = (tu) imo.

I remember TMWWBK's statement of 'Goals don't win games' :lol: :lol: i still laugh at that now, what does then? :D

:lol:

I'm really not against Boyd, mate. Just seems that by criticising his finishing ability, I'm getting bombarded with his goal scoring record etc, even though I've already said that its his natural ability to make chances for himself that make him such a good striker! He doesn't finish them all (or even close to that), but he gets so many chances, he scores loads of goals.

Aye well i won't argue with you on that, maybe i've misread what you were writing earlier, although i wasn't the main person going after you against the 'best finisher' thing. :lol: islesbear is to blame for opening that up.

van nistelrooy, Inzaghi

There is two glaring examples of players who's instinct in the penalty area is a sublime skill and has earned them massive reputations. Tap-ins may not look brilliant but it is definately a skill knowing where to be and taking a chance.

Disagree with the statement. From a football perspective he's not a great player, but far far far worse in Scotland.

Boyd is a woeful football player. You could never play him say in central midfield during an injury crisis as he really does lack a lot of basic footballing ability (at least at the top level).

You're options for Boyd are limited. You can only really deploy him in one role, with one job to do. Where as all other players at the club could be deployed elsewhere (some better than others), and have a bit more scope with regards to matchday instructions.

why would you?? doh

During a crisis things like that can happen. We played Duncan Ferguson a LB once during a crisis! More recently a striker (McCulloch), played CB for us when we were short.

My point is you wouldn't have the option with Boyd. I mean you could play him there if you want, but he'd more than likely be shown up, and it would equate to managerial suicide. His football ability isn't good enough to do a makeshift job anywhere on the park, where as most other players at the higher level, should be able to do a makeshift job in a few positions.

Boyds real ability is being in the right place at the right time. You can't teach that.

Thats a good shout, although, I think, thats also got something to do with being a good finisher/striker because, if you are in the right position at the right time, it makes it easier to score. We see often with guys like Miller and Novo, that, they are neither in the right place, or, severely wanting when it comes to finishing. If you can get at least 1 of those right, most of the time, then, thats really what you want from I striker, or rather, what I want from a striker. I know thats old fashioned these days, but, maybe its my age. I want my strikers to score, and, dont give a toss if they stand about for 88 minutes, but, score twice and we win. I prefer my all round footballers to be in the midfield, and, also at full back, which, in the main, we have now. I think, the team we have at the moment will create so many chances that, with our best finishers, rather than runners, we will score a fair few goals this season. I actually also like Lafferty for this, he seems a very composed finisher too.

I think, for all his faults, the main reason I like Boyd, is best shown by the Hearts game. We got a pen, you KNEW he was going to take it, and, I felt 101% confident he would score. I find his presence reassuring, and, in a very odd comparison, a bit like Gough or Goram ;) Any balls into the box, it was almost certain that Gough would win it and clear it. I havent been so confident defending set pieces since he and Butcher were about. Same with Goram, if someone got through 1 on 1, the confidence that The Goalie would save it was there. Boyd gives me the same feeling when we are in need of a goal, I cant explain it better than that.

Wonder were all these Boyd lovers go when the big games come round and Boyd goes a hiding again! Good enough for SPL bottom 8 clubs found wanting against the big boys. People seem to think he is the best striker ever the way they are going on. Have they ever see him play? Are they the same people who worshiped Barry Ferguson?

Worst Striker in Scotland?

You're kidding right?

Boyd is easily one of the best in scotland.

What alot of you don't realize is that that's all he is. He will never make the step up to anything better than that. He will score against the poor and do nothing against the rich....

That is why some people dislike him. Others overlook this and think he is the next best thing since sliced bread...