Rothen

Davie2909

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hes got a great cross, but anyone else he runs like a woman??

Runs like Ronald de Boer IMO.

Now every time I see him, I keep thinking that he runs like someone I've seen before. Last night it clicked, I actually think he runs alot like Charlie Adam. Obviously though he is alot better.

Still finding his feet. He needs to see more of the ball but looks neat and tidy, never rushes a pass, and keeps it simple. I guess Papac doesn't like passing the ball to him?

His balls are pretty dangerous and I wish our attackers would learn to make an early move to the front post, as some of his deliveries were begging for someone to make that move.

papac never passes the ball to the left winger, does my head in, someone should have a word in his ear

For the first half hour I agree totally, he was rejecting Rothen every time, either coming into the middle, going back, or giving it to Davis or Mendes. But then after that he started using him almost constantly.

I was screaming at him wondering why he was blanking Jerome, but then he started using him plenty.

I think he looks very good.

You can tell he's not been in the SPL very long - he's calm, composed and weights every pass perfectly!

Yep

I think he looks a very good addition. Also good to see someone whos instinct is not to look for Davie Weir with a pass.

Rothen is a different player from what we have had on the left for a number of years. The reason being that he can actually deliver a good cross.

But as i said to my mate last night, it is all well and good being able to produce deadly crosses but if you don't get into the positions to deliver them then it is useless. But that's the thing i like most about Rothen, he is always creating enough space for himself to get those crosses in once he recieves the ball.

I think there is also too much criticism of Papac in this thread. He does pass the ball to Rothen, whenever there is the space to do so. What's the point in giving the ball to a winger when they are surrounded by two men with their back to the goal? It just wastes possession. I like the fact that Sasa is willing to take the ball forward and turn inside looking for a pass, something which alot of full-backs don't do. I'm sure Rothen is much happier recieving the ball from a midfielder high up the park than from the left back when he is still in his own half with playes around him.

Didn't we used to criticise Papac for not wanting to take the ball forward himself? Interesting :lol:

Rothen is still finding his feet and adapting to our league, as well as finding full fitness IMO.

But with an intelligent striker up front, we could have a barreload of assits with this guy, because the left foot he posesses is the most cultured in the league atm.

Could either be a decent player for us, or a phenomenal one.

IMO, his delivery is a little out of touch at the moment. Which is quite incredible as some of his crosses have been superb, give it another few weeks when he finds the right touch and our strikers start to know where he is putting his crosses then we are going to have alot of joy out of Rothen. I reckon he'll get the most assists for us this season.

Didn't we used to criticise Papac for not wanting to take the ball forward himself? Interesting :lol:

Rothen is still finding his feet and adapting to our league, as well as finding full fitness IMO.

But with an intelligent striker up front, we could have a barreload of assits with this guy, because the left foot he posesses is the most cultured in the league atm.

Could either be a decent player for us, or a phenomenal one.

Yes, and, rightly so, he has gone too far the other way now. The interesting thing about it being Rothen is, its not just the young players who he has not been passing to. Then again, much like Sebo, you arent allowed to say a bad word about him without some crap like "god bless the papac" coming out. Cringeworthy

As for Rothen, he is standing out like a sore thumb in our midfield at the moment, especially on the passing front, and, will more than prove his value. Seems to have a good work ethic too

As for Rothen, he is standing out like a sore thumb in our midfield at the moment, especially on the passing front, and, will more than prove his value. Seems to have a good work ethic too

Do you mean in terms of looking like pure and utter quality?

Not my idea of a winger never went past his man, and his balls into the box where over hit to many times.

apart from, all thos times he went past his man, usually 2 of them at once

You werent watching the game obviously

Yeah, he glided past two QOTS players deep in our own half and opened the pitch up with a perfectly weighted pass to Whittaker.

But why let facts get in the way of a good moan?! :D

Not my idea of a winger never went past his man, and his balls into the box where over hit to many times.

Strangely enough that's what I was thinking, he didn't use loads of pace to do it, just used ability, and some of his crossing was top notch, just a shame at times the rest of our midfield and strikers were posted missing.

Do you mean in terms of looking like pure and utter quality?

:lol: Yes, sorry fella, I thought that would have been obvious :pipe:

Can tell he is still settling, but, I am liking the cut of his gib. Especially for a French player (a proper French player)

The downside being, I seriously think he is showing up Mendes and Davis in a few ways

Yeah, he glided past two QOTS players deep in our own half and opened the pitch up with a perfectly weighted pass to Whittaker.

But why let facts get in the way of a good moan?! :D

That was one of the most memorable indeed, seemed to be doing that a fair few times, been a while since I saw a Ranger who, our opponents just couldnt seem to get the ball off

Unless we play a 4-3-3 Rothen will be wasted just like alot of our other players.

See, am not so sure, you reckon? he seems to naturally fit on the left of a midfield 4, so, where would you line him up in the 3-3 part? Doesnt seem pacy enough to be one of the front 3, and, I have a feeling he would be perhaps wasted in the mid 3

Maybe not, but, not sure, unless he floats around the main 2 strikers in the front 3?

Unless we play a 4-3-3 Rothen will be wasted just like alot of our other players.

I would have to disagree with that DB, with regards to Rothen more than the other players. He is muc more effective in a deep-lying midfield role as opposed being in a front three.

For one, he likes to collect the ball deep and fire crosses into the box, he won't beat two men and get to the by-line. He's not a stereotypical winger. Also, playing a 4-3-3 means he will only really have one striker to aim at with a cross.

I think a 4-4-2 will suit his play better.

See, am not so sure, you reckon? he seems to naturally fit on the left of a midfield 4, so, where would you line him up in the 3-3 part? Doesnt seem pacy enough to be one of the front 3, and, I have a feeling he would be perhaps wasted in the mid 3

Maybe not, but, not sure, unless he floats around the main 2 strikers in the front 3?

I'm positive this is the case in a 4-4-2, we are so lop sided it's embarrassing. Rothen gets frustrated with the lack of movement and tucks in alot more to try and start something and the same goes for Davis when he's on the other side.

You play a 3 it opens up more options for Rothen as would be able to interchange, and Naismith would get more freedom to switch and link up with the rest of the team.

You just have to look at Rothen performance against Stuttgart, to see what tactic he prefers.

I would have to disagree with that DB, with regards to Rothen more than the other players. He is muc more effective in a deep-lying midfield role as opposed being in a front three.

For one, he likes to collect the ball deep and fire crosses into the box, he won't beat two men and get to the by-line. He's not a stereotypical winger. Also, playing a 4-3-3 means he will only really have one striker to aim at with a cross.

I think a 4-4-2 will suit his play better.

4-4-2 isolates Rothen, Play him in a 3 and let him interchange and pull more strings. You're right he ain't a normal winger but us trying to make him one in a 4-4-2 is doing him more harm as he is easily shut out.

4-3-3 with Rothen is the way to go.