Boogie heading off for the Algeria game

Its obvious that the club is struggling this season and the absence of boogie made it harder ): I understand well why some of you is pissed off because of that.

But let's remember that qualifying to the world cup is an amibition of any player whoever ; C.Ronaldo didnt hesitate to play for portugal last time though his club wasnt satisfied about that at all .

The press here in algeria said today that boogie may not play the match of egypt .

The fact tht bougherra was ready the last saturday is tottaly wrong , the player has just started touching the ball yesterday .

This is a picture taken yesterday from algeria national team training in italy , Take a look to see what bougie is putting on his knee

en6101109.JPG

The source : the algerian federation of football website http://www.faf.org.dz/entrainement-en101109.htm

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a point to think about to, is that maybe madjid was close to being fit for our last game, but with Walter having Danny Wilson and Weir playing solid at the back for once he didn't have to rush a player back into the team. I'm not sure if Algeria have that luxury. I might be wrong but it may be a possibility.

Don't really have a problem with this. If the guy just missed playing against St Mirren, then maybe this game will be good for his match fitness. If he does go in january, then so be it, but until then, i'll stick by him (tu)

I am not going to claim this is 100% true or anything like that, but the guy who sits next to me at Ibrox said that Bougherra had said he wanted to train harder so he could be fit for the Algeria game. Obviously it isnt as concrete a sorce as "the guy in the pub" but he has no reason to lie.

A lot of people are jumping to conclusions about Bougherra's intentions and are being too quick to lambaste him.

Seems as though people want him to have played his last game for the club <cr>

Why would anyone want that? He is a important player for us, if he does start for Algeria I would question his commitment.

RANGERS defender Madjid Bougherra will risk the wrath of his club by playing for his country this weekend in a do-or-die World Cup grudge match against Egypt.

The Algerian has not featured in the Ibrox side's last six games after picking up a knee injury in training on the eve of Rangers' Champions League home game against Unirea Urziceni, but he has reported for duty and is desperate to play in Cairo this weekend.

A draw would be enough for Algeria to qualify for next summer's World Cup Finals in South Africa, and even a defeat, should it only be by one goal, could still see them through.

While Walter Smith may wince at the thought of his prized central defender featuring in such a high-pressure match after being sidelined for weeks, Bougherra has no reservations about pulling on his boots for his country and will go all out to be fit for Saturday.

advertisement

"I am here because the people of Algeria want me to be here," said Bougherra.

"Believe me, I am super-motivated to be present in Cairo on Saturday for the long-awaited meeting with Egypt.

"Right now, I am not yet ready to play. But I will attempt to do the impossible for this particular game.

"I simply cannot miss the match against Egypt - nobody would like to miss it if at all possible.

"I am subjected to daily care on the injury.

"I hope things are going in the right direction to be present at the game against the Egyptians.

"I have not yet joined the squad at Rangers for group training. I'm still undergoing treatment, but I recently started jogging.

"Now I am here with the Algerian national team, I will resume with the group. I am doing all I can to allow my fitness to progress.

"I still have time for my recovery, with the help of the doctor of the Algerian federation and the physios.

"I am optimistic, but I'll be depressed if I do not take part.

"I take this opportunity to ask the Algerian people to trust us and I promise to do everything possible to qualify. I am happy that there seems to be so much interest in my wellbeing and fitness.

"I would like to thank the many people who supported me during this time.

"Besides, I promise to do my utmost to ensure there is a party after the match."

Qualification for the World Cup would be an achievement in itself, but the fact that the game is against Egypt adds further weight to the encounter.

Back in 1989 with Algeria bidding to reach their third successive tournament, they found themselves up against Egypt in a play-off.

The first-leg was drawn 0-0 in Algeria before Egypt triumphed 1-0 in Cairo and Algeria have never been to a World Cup since.

The hype leading up to the game in Bougherra's homeland prompted him to seek refuge away from the limelight in Glasgow this week.

And he admitted he ended up handing his mobile phone over to a friend so he didn't need to be speak to reporters hungry for a soundbite in the lead up to the massive match.

"It's nice to have been in Glasgow in the build-up to the game and I have a friend who came to visit me who is taking my calls about the match as I don't want to talk about it," he said.

"People phone him instead of me for updates about my injury and he feels like he is going crazy just now because the phone won't stop ringing."

Since his move to Rangers last year, Bougherra has not only been a mainstay in the Ibrox side but has also been one of the most consistent performers.

And the defender believes that the experience of playing at the top level in the Champions League and the Uefa Cup will serve as the ideal preparation for this weekend's game.

"It would be my biggest moment in football if we were to qualify, of course it would," he told the Rangers News.

"This match is shaping up to be the biggest of my life. Millions of people are waiting to watch this game and in Algeria, they are all expecting us to do it.

"They are all looking for revenge after Egypt beat us to the World Cup in Italy 20 years ago and they are desperate for us to do it.

"With Rangers, I have learned about the type of mentality you need to be successful in these sorts of games.

"I know now how to be positive and how to handle the pressure that comes with big situations such as the one I am in."

Bougherra has admitted that it is not ideal for him to be heading off to play for his country when he hasn't kicked a ball for Rangers in three weeks.

The last time he was away on international duty he was late back after losing a passport and wallet and missed the St Johnstone game in Perth.

Smith will be hoping that should Algeria qualify the post-match party does not last too long.

"I have not played for a while now so to go away for this game with no games in my legs is not good," said Bougherra.

"The injury I've had was a stupid one. I just slipped as I made a turn in training, but that is football.

"I'm just happy the injury is not a bad one because when I hurt myself, I felt a bad sensation and feared the worst.

"The last few weeks have been frustrating for me. I had passport problems after I was last away on international duty and got back late as a result."

Walter Smith, for one, will be hoping there will be no delayed reaction to his return this time.

Publication date 11/11/09

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...2534586.0.0.php

Boab with the link and story as always (tu)

Bet You get all the Ladies - save some for us you link posting stud!

Mr Cool!!!!

can the rangers medical staff not put a stop 2 this. like it or not bougie is an asset financially to the club, therefore if our med staff say u are not fit enuf 2 play and may aggrevate ur injury if u do so. rangers own bougie-rangers shud hav a say if he plays in any football game or sport. example-rangers told goram he cudnt play cricket while employed by the bears. im surprised smith is puttin up with bougies pish, he doesnt usually suffer fools gladly

Wouldn't be like the papers to attempt to drum up a bit of controversy, would it? :rolleyes:

I can't understand why so many people seem to have it in for one of our own players, when they know nothing about the situation at all.

ah, the magical fairyland of football messageboards

Let's face it - it was predicted on here several weeks ago that he wouldn't play for us again until after the Algerian/Egypt play off and that has proved to be correct. They are his first priority by far.

If they qualify he should be sold in Jan if poss as he will be away to the African Cup and then will hardly kick a ball for us for the rest of the season for fear of missing out on the World Cup

i think boogies taking the piss here big time. OK he was injured but he fucked up last time he went off to play for his country, he should knock this on the head and tell his country that he wants to stay and be ready for next gers game. plus telling the press he doesn't want to be sold in January window is a load of pish, why was he stuck in Paris? probably sorting out his next transfer.

He's pissing all over us and his atitude to Rangers this season is a fucking disgrace!! Always busting a gut to play for the beloved Algeria who are going to get there arses felt in this game anyway!!! Has not played a single minute of football for us since the last Algerian international!

Sell him in January for much needed money and bring in a replacement (maybe not of as same quality due to cost) but someone who has the heart for the cause of Rangers F.C

i think boogies taking the piss here big time. OK he was injured but he fucked up last time he went off to play for his country, he should knock this on the head and tell his country that he wants to stay and be ready for next gers game. plus telling the press he doesn't want to be sold in January window is a load of pish, why was he stuck in Paris? probably sorting out his next transfer.

He has to have a medical confirming that he has reason to pull out of internationals. He said he was fit to play out last game but Walter said he wasn't. Last international he was due back late Thursday night, as agreed by the club, but was delayed by 24 hours and missed one light training session. The club gave him extra days off following his international game which seems strange; maybe it is not Bougherra who is taking the piss.

When are people going to realise this guy isn't interested in Rangers?

Personally I've had enough of the likes of him and cuellar using us as a stepping stone,fair enough if they be up front and say that but it's always the same old i love Rangers and i want to be here for a long time pish. He only stayed for europ and now he probably thinks we're going out so he's getting to fuck. Won't be sorry if I never see him again.