Mendes to Sporting CP?

j1mgg

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He won't thunder into tackles, but his awareness of positioning and willingness to track back means that he could slot into McCulloch's current role without any problems.

Add in his ability to knit play together, spot a pass and spread play with ease and a fast improving side could potentially move onto a whole new level.

However chances are we will never see it :(

He won't thunder into tackles, but his awareness of positioning and willingness to track back means that he could slot into McCulloch's current role without any problems.

Add in his ability to knit play together, spot a pass and spread play with ease and a fast improving side could potentially move onto a whole new level.

Spot on, just what I said 2 posts above (tu)

Rangers assistant manager Ally McCoist hopes the SPL giants can retain the services of Kris Boyd and Pedro Mendes in January.

Boyd, who is out of contract this summer, has been linked with Middlesbrough while Sporting Lisbon are reportedly tracking Mendes.

With Gers' financial situation dictating whether they are able to retain their key players, McCoist knows their squad could be dismantled in the New Year.

McCoist cannot confirm whether bids have been tabled for either player, although he hopes Boyd resists the lure of playing in England.

"I'm not sure if there's been any bids as such," he told Sky Sports News.

"I know there's been one or two people enquiring as you'd expect from somebody who's prolific at putting the ball in the back of the net like Kris.

"Certainly one or two have been on the phone to the manager, but I don't think there's been any bids as such.

"I'm hopeful he'll stay as it would be a massive, massive blow for us if Kris decided to go and play his football elsewhere.

"All of me hopes he'll stay and he'll want to continue his future playing with Rangers because I think he's fantastic for Rangers and I think Rangers are good for Kris Boyd."

Sporting link

Portuguese ace Mendes has been linked with Sporting and McCoist believes it is imperative the Ibrox club retain their key players in January.

"As far as I know there's no news," he continued. "I don't think any contact has been made. I read in the press that Sporting were interested in Pedro, as you'd expect as well.

"It's been a bit of a blow as he's been out injured for a good part of the season. He's a wonderfully-gifted footballer and it's natural that people are interested in gifted footballers.

"Speaking from a personal point of view I hope he doesn't go and that we can keep our squad together. We don't have that big of a squad that we can lose quality players."

The bottom line is that Mendes' contract is nearly up. He could sign a pre contract agreement to leave for free, now, going in the summer. If the club think they can get 1.5 million then I suspect they will take it, especially as we have proven that we can perform without him.

As much as people have been trying to bury their head in the sand and say "Boyd will stay", similar facts surround him. He can now sign with a club to leave for free in the summer, thus ensuring a massive pay day that will mean he will be financially secure for life (as there will be no signing on fee).

If Mendes going can avert that (and I suspect it will not), I am all for it. If Boyd stays, he has a chance to become a legend at the club he has always supported, and likely go down in Scottish footballing history, smashing all goalscoring records along the way (even more than he already has).

Mendes' tackling is far superior to McCulloch's. (tu) I'd say that is his most underrated part of his game; tackling and interceptions. A midfield of

Beasley - Davis - Mendes - Novo is 10x better than what any other SPL club can put together.

The bottom line is that Mendes' contract is nearly up. He could sign a pre contract agreement to leave for free, now, going in the summer. If the club think they can get 1.5 million then I suspect they will take it, especially as we have proven that we can perform without him.

As much as people have been trying to bury their head in the sand and say "Boyd will stay", similar facts surround him. He can now sign with a club to leave for free in the summer, thus ensuring a massive pay day that will mean he will be financially secure for life (as there will be no signing on fee).

If Mendes going can avert that (and I suspect it will not), I am all for it. If Boyd stays, he has a chance to become a legend at the club he has always supported, and likely go down in Scottish footballing history, smashing all goalscoring records along the way (even more than he already has).

Mendes is contracted until summer 2011.

Mendes is contracted until summer 2011.

My bad, I thought I read in one of the threads it was up...in which case, scrap it all except the Boyd dtuff ;) 3million it is....

If it's true, and that's a big if then I have no problems with it. Mendes has been nothing more than a bit part player this year. Even last season he was very hot and cold. I would much rather give Boyd a new contract than keep Mendes around.

Agreed, Before his injury mendes was useless and didn't show the "skill" and "technique" he supposedly has, i think we have proved we don't need mendes in the team with a 7 point lead and 21 goals scored in the last 5 games, Mendes out Boyd's contract in, Happy days :clap:

Just heard on the radio that we MIGHT be signing a guy called Cassio Lincoln on a free, is this maybe an indication of Mendes actually going and Boyd staying along with this guy? I heard it on the radio so its not written gospel (pardon the pun) anyone even heard of this guy? Also heard that everton(the bastards) are looking at davis? Not fishing just what ive heard on the radio

Just heard on the radio that we MIGHT be signing a guy called Cassio Lincoln on a free, is this maybe an indication of Mendes actually going and Boyd staying along with this guy? I heard it on the radio so its not written gospel (pardon the pun) anyone even heard of this guy? Also heard that everton(the bastards) are looking at davis? Not fishing just what ive heard on the radio

Good player in his Schalke and early Galatasaray days, but has an absolutely horrific attitude. Attacking midfielder/right sided midfielder, who has all the skills in the world. Tries to be too fancy, but has an excellent range of passing, and links up well, but cannot take a tackle, and is a bit of a diving bastard.

i think mendes would be a cracking player sitting behind davis in centre mid

mendes can read a game no problem and still has a great workrate in him, he could easily be a player like hemdani was for us,

the thing is though, i cannot see us getting anymore than maybe 2mill for him, he wont go back to england unless its a free transfer as no club will pay for him now imo, so we may have to take what we get from any euro club that offers money

1.5 Mil pounds or euros is far to low for one of our key players (although he has been on a poor run of form so far this season). We should be looking at a fee around the £2.5 mil mark. I know we are in debt, but we still should'nt be letting any of our players go on the cheap. There should be plenty of competition for a player of that caliber.

Pedro Mendes is the most talented plater in our squad by some distance. It became fashionable last season for people (usually the ones who always back Mcculloch and Broadfoot) to slag him. He wasn't brilliant every single week but he is still our best cm along with Davis. It must been difficult for someone with his style to play in our team at times as the defence can't really pass the ball out from the back and last season our strikers often lacked movement, intellingence and the abilty to recieve the ball and control it.

Imo Mendes would be even better this season feeding Miller and the improved Boyd.

Think I have to agree with this !

And what happens if Davis is out through injury ?

Surely we have to have some back up ?

There has only been enquiries for Mendes and Boyd there has been NO offers as yet. McCoist was on SSN a wee while ago.

this info has also been published on the official rangers app/iPhone.

hope it stays that way till feb

McCoist is on SSN right now saying there has been NO formal bids for Pedro or Boyd. There has been enquiries though.

Says exactly the same on the official site.I believe nothing I read or hear about our club,until it is on the official web site.

Rangers' Portugal international midfielder Pedro Mendes has confirmed it would be hard for him to reject Sporting Lisbon.

The Portuguese giants have been linked with a January move for the former Portsmouth man, who is believed to be available for the right price.

With the Ibrox club battling against a debt mountain they are forced to consider most bids for their stars in the transfer window.

Mendes does not believe an offer has been tabled with Rangers and he will only consider his options if an agreement is reached.

The 30-year-old is currently on the sidelines recovering from injury and he says his first priority is returning to full fitness.

Decision

"I've not received an offer officially from Sporting, but that's normal. I'll decide the best option for me," he told Radio Renaiscenca.

"The final decision to sell is down to Rangers. If I receive an offer from Sporting it would be difficult to reject a club challenging for honours.

"Right now I'm focusing on getting fit and fighting for my place in the Portugal squad for the 2010 World Cup finals."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_5837664,00.html

If I receive an offer from Sporting it would be difficult to reject a club challenging for honours.

Are we not challenging for honors? <cr>

I'd like to think that has been lost in translation :unsure:

If I receive an offer from Sporting it would be difficult to reject a club challenging for honours.

Aren't they in 5th or 6th place in Portugal anyways?

Aren't they in 5th or 6th place in Portugal anyways?

They are 5th, 12 points from 1st place.

By ROGER HANNAH

Published: 07 Jan 2010

Pedro Mendes will have to take a pay cut to land a return to Portugal.

Sporting Lisbon are expected to make an official bid for the Rangers midfielder when they sell Miguel Veloso.

Technical director Ricardo Sa Pinto has agreed to a £1.5million offer for Mendes - but he will not match the £20,000-a-week he is getting at Gers.

But a two-and-a-half year deal and the chance to play his way into Portugal's World Cup squad is likely to sway the midfielder.

Mendes last night told Portuguese radio: "I've not received an official offer from Sporting but that is normal. I'll decide the best option for me. The final decision to sell is down to Rangers.

"If I receive an offer from Sporting it would be difficult to reject a club challenging for honours.

"Right now I'm focusing on getting fit and fighting for my place in the Portugal squad for the World Cup."

SunSport revealed yesterday Gers would be willing to let Mendes go this month.

Gers assistant Ally McCoist said: "I'd never grudge Pedro anything.

"He's obviously got great hopes of going to a World Cup.

"He's 30 and might have an opportunity to end his career at home.

"I'd never grudge him that, but I hope he doesn't go.

"From where I'm sitting I don't want anyone to go."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...-a-pay-cut.html