The broad Church of modern day Rangers fans

(On a base level - and you can tell I am a fat b'stard with this - where would we be without Italians (Chippy's and Pizza, Chinese and Indian/Pakastanis Influences?) -

As a fat bastard I was hoping you'd want to discuss tofu and its lack of appeal.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So as Scotland becomes, and is, a 'broad' church so should Rangers be. A drive towards two specific causes (Loyalist and Protestant) will marginilise our club to its detriment. Hence why I support a non-political / religious agenda for our club.

Fair enough. But Scotland has evolved slowly/naturally (without being brow-beaten about what it should become) and Rangers should be allowed to do same.

Note: 'broad church' is a term with unfortunate/negative connotations for me because of the word 'church'. I wouldn't want my country nor my club to be like a church at all.

(On a base level - and you can tell I am a fat b'stard with this - where would we be without Italians (Chippy's and Pizza, Chinese and Indian/Pakastanis Influences?) -

As a fat bastard I was hoping you'd want to discuss tofu and its lack of appeal.

There is No appeal in tofu at all - it's just one of those pointless things in life.

You fans that want us to move on and forget our culture should remember that our club encouraged our Protestant support. They were happy to take our money and be known as a Protestant club. People say we would still be left with Rangers if we stop all the religon and songs, you are correct, but what you should say is that it would be a shell of a club and it would have to be the new Rangers, as the old Rangers would be dead and thousands of us fans would die with it. One bit of advice for you al is to read the article by Dartangnan called The Forgotten Ones and that explains what would happen to our club.

There is No appeal in tofu at all - it's just one of those pointless things in life.

This is one thing all Rangers fans - in fact all people everywhere - should be able to agree on!

So as Scotland becomes, and is, a 'broad' church so should Rangers be. A drive towards two specific causes (Loyalist and Protestant) will marginilise our club to its detriment. Hence why I support a non-political / religious agenda for our club.

Fair enough. But Scotland has evolved slowly/naturally (without being brow-beaten about what it should become) and Rangers should be allowed to do same.

Note: 'broad church' is a term with unfortunate/negative connotations for me because of the word 'church'. I wouldn't want my country nor my club to be like a church at all.

I agree - I did mean to put the quotes around 'broad church' to imply 'all sorts'.

wrt the first point - sometimes cultural revolution is slow and sometimes there are defining moments (lets say the Reformation or Highland Clearances in Scotland) and we just happen to be at the cross roads of the debate on where and how the Rangers fan base will develop.

You fans that want us to move on and forget our culture should remember that our club encouraged our Protestant support. They were happy to take our money and be known as a Protestant club. People say we would still be left with Rangers if we stop all the religon and songs, you are correct, but what you should say is that it would be a shell of a club and it would have to be the new Rangers, as the old Rangers would be dead and thousands of us fans would die with it. One bit of advice for you al is to read the article by Dartangnan called The Forgotten Ones and that explains what would happen to our club.
I've not read it minstral have you got a link to it?

The article explains D'artangnan's opinion of what would happen to the club!

Thank you BP9. We agree.

Tofu has no appeal at all - just like a bland & safe politically correct football club without a living past and vibrant traditions....

Thank you BP9. We agree.

Tofu has no appeal at all - just like a bland & safe politically correct football club without a living past and vibrant traditions....

Some tofu is very good if cooked in Chinese style. It soaks up and provides the flavours of everything else in the wok.

Thank you BP9. We agree.

Some tofu is very good if cooked in Chinese style. It soaks up and provides the flavours of everything else in the wok.

Now, now... don't go splitting the support mate.

The article explains D'artangnan's opinion of what would happen to the club!

Yes but its true, but then again it would not bother you as you and a few hundred more would have the ground to yourself, sitting rustling your sweetie papers and still would not understand what you have lost. But the one good thing is that it will never happen as you lot are a minority, and the majority will never be beaten. Also you knew what the club and support was always about, so why did you pick our club to support. :)

Yes but its true, but then again it would not bother you as you and a few hundred more would have the ground to yourself, sitting rustling your sweetie papers and still would not understand what you have lost. But the one good thing is that it will never happen as you lot are a minority, and the majority will never be beaten. Also you knew what the club and support was always about, so why did you pick our club to support. :)

Minstral, I agree with you on many, many levels. The problem is we're stuck in the past and are faced with a landscape that has shifted beyoned recognition. A mate of mine refers to it as postmodernism.

Rangers once embodied Scottish society and we were loved throughout the land. This is not the case nowadays. It's very sad and the big question is, how do we gain this status again? "No-one likes us, we don't care" simply doesn't work.

Minstral, I agree with you on many, many levels. The problem is we're stuck in the past and are faced with a landscape that has shifted beyoned recognition. A mate of mine refers to it as postmodernism.

Rangers once embodied Scottish society and we were loved throughout the land. This is not the case nowadays. It's very sad and the big question is, how do we gain this status again? "No-one likes us, we don't care" simply doesn't work.

Hi mate i think our club should come out fighting and say that they are proud of our fans and culture. They should say that our traditions and culture and history is what made us a massive club with fans all over the world. Let people attack us but you should always remember wher you came from and never be ashamed, and always hold you head up high. And as Outlaws sig says better 2 or 3 with courage than a dozen cowards.

Same old arguments every time which get nowhere. At the end of the day, it is all about respect. Fans need to respect that Rangers have a proud Protestant and Unionist heritage and that will be shown in the flags the majority of the support wave and the songs they sing. If you take nothing to do with that side of our history then fine, but have the decency to acknowledge and respect that most Bears do.

Simlarly, fans should not be chastised for not wanting to revel in the religious and political side of our club and are entitled to be a Rangers supporter no matter what religion they follow or country they were born in. We are a massive club with a worldwide support so not everyone is going to have the same beliefs as each other. Not a problem unless you try and make it one by causing division.

These threads always just seem like the usual "my way is better than yours" nonsense. We all support the Rangers for whatever reason, so just accept that, for crying out loud.

Same old arguments every time which get nowhere. At the end of the day, it is all about respect. Fans need to respect that Rangers have a proud Protestant and Unionist heritage and that will be shown in the flags the majority of the support wave and the songs they sing. If you take nothing to do with that side of our history then fine, but have the decency to acknowledge and respect that most Bears do.

Simlarly, fans should not be chastised for not wanting to revel in the religious and political side of our club and are entitled to be a Rangers supporter no matter what religion they follow or country they were born in. We are a massive club with a worldwide support so not everyone is going to have the same beliefs as each other. Not a problem unless you try and make it one by causing division.

These threads always just seem like the usual "my way is better than yours" nonsense. We all support the Rangers for whatever reason, so just accept that, for crying out loud.

Sounds fair enough, lock this pish..... ;)

Hi mate i think our club should come out fighting and say that they are proud of our fans and culture. They should say that our traditions and culture and history is what made us a massive club with fans all over the world. Let people attack us but you should always remember wher you came from and never be ashamed, and always hold you head up high. And as Outlaws sig says better 2 or 3 with courage than a dozen cowards.

Agree 100%. The lack of PR is probably the single most frustrating issue for me where the club is concerned.

Proud of our past and ready for our future.

Smells like T@rrier to me..

this type of bullshit pisses me off. Because someone does not agree with hating feenians/catholics/whatever, they are labled a T***,T****** and get all the sniff sniff pish.

I love rangers and im proud of our history, BUT there is a time when we need to move on from the stuff that is holding us back ( and anyone who does not see that singing banned songs and all this religous hate is holding us back and tainting our public view. Then you are deluded).

The guy isnt a TIM, he is a rangers FOOTBALL club supporter. ( important word - FOOTBALL)

/rant

p.s sorry for lack of spelling and puncuation. It's early and im pissed off

I have to ask, whos public view? The only ones complaining about it, and being offended about it, are our biggest rivals, so, how is that a problem? Its always been the same.

Singing illegal songs and religious hate doesnt seem to be holding them back does it?

Then again... Rule Britannia, Follow Follow, The Sash... songs of religious hate yeah?

Too many people are obsessed with this, and, the only reason is, they believe what the Scottish mhedia are saying, because, nobody else in the world seems to give 2 shits about it mate. Nobody! Its only in the goldfish bowl that its even discussed! So, heres what happens, people do what they suggest, the only people it affects are us and them, the only ones who are happy, are them! The rest of the world continues oblivious to it all. Basically, "moving on" is an action to appease the tims, and, why would anyone want to do that?

I guess i must imagine it when i see comments in the papers about us singing those songs ( and fwiw i used to sing TBB and still do when im with my friends. I wont sing it in the ground because it's giving us a bad name and the club dont want us singing it anymore) - which papers,and, a bad name in whos opinion? Thats the question fella :)

Also i dont think the rest of the world is as "oblivious" to it all as you would like to believe - I have spent the best part of the last 20 years living in various parts of the uk, and, there is next to no press about Rangers, none at all. If it is, its something like, we just won the league. Nothing about singing, nothing at all that I have seen, however, up in Scotland, they seem to like to try and make it important.

I know this argument is not just about songs. but unlike half this board im not the best at getting my point across on the internet :). I just feel that the "fuck them all, no one likes us, we dont cae" attitude helps us at all.

someone said earlier that if we change our ways a bit then the media will move on to the ugly side of celtic and leave us alone. - with the greatest of respect, thats incredibly naive mate. We stopped singing TBB, they moved on the TFIO, that stopped, they move on to the next one. We capitualted and went with it, and are now fair game. The Sash has been brought up in the mhedia recently as well. 1 after another. Thats what happens.

Whatever though, each of us is entitled to think and believe what we want mate. We are both rangers fans and thats all that really matters.

WATP

And the last wee bit, is very accurate.