The broad Church of modern day Rangers fans

Can it be justified to shout it at a football match though?

I actually agree with you that we are a football Club set up by young men (boys) purely for the love of the game. Only Septic were set up purely for sectarian reasons. CFC - by bigots, of bigots and for bigots since inception.

I also agree that Rangers should not be the vehicle for anything other than passionate support of a football club. Suck from FF actually fell out with me for pointing out that Rangers and the OO are not intrinsically linked no matter how much he wishes it to be so.

We should define ourselves, not be reactionary and allow the Shettlestons to define us.

thats bullshit sorry to say to you but the reason we werent able to sign catholic players until souness did was because of rangers being set up like the orange order Moses and Peter McNeil, Peter Campbell and William McBeath were all orangemen believe it or not all came here from ireland and thats a fact.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually agree with you that we are a football Club set up by young men (boys) purely for the love of the game. Only Septic were set up purely for sectarian reasons. CFC - by bigots, of bigots and for bigots since inception.

I also agree that Rangers should not be the vehicle for anything other than passionate support of a football club. Suck from FF actually fell out with me for pointing out that Rangers and the OO are not intrinsically linked no matter how much he wishes it to be so.

We should define ourselves, not be reactionary and allow the Shettlestons to define us.

:thumbup:

thats bullshit sorry to say to you but the reason we werent able to sign catholic players until souness did was because of rangers being set up like the orange order Moses and Peter McNeil, Peter Campbell and William McBeath were all orangemen believe it or not all came here from ireland and thats a fact.

we had plenty of Catholic players in the early days and beyond

not an expert on this but Don Kitchenbrand, John Spencer, etc were all signed before MoJo

If we dont have a darker side or a more extreme element to our support then why has our club come under attack in the last few years? and its not because the media is full of tims, if it were unjustified criticism we were getting then the club would defend us but they cant - they cant defend the indefensible

You're on dodgy ground here. The club has always been poor at PR but particularly so under Murray when he would allow attacks on anything other than him, regardless of the facts.

Do we have indefensible morons in our support? Absolutely we do but the vast majority are good honest, hard working people that have been thrown to the wolves by the Murray regime.

Thats hard to argue with at all. The fact we were thrown to the wolves is part of the reason these threads even exist!

Interesting post, I'm a keen student of the Founders and have never come across this before. Can you provide references as I'd love to read up on this to plug my knowledge gap.

Ah even you need a wee bit of history about our founders - PM Minstral or Manticore and they will bring you up to speed - you may find this difficult but we were NOT started or set up like the OO.

not an expert on this but Don Kitchenbrand, John Spencer, etc were all signed before MoJo

you see you dont have a clue thats bullshit again another factor is why do rangers play in royle blue ?

Yet again this thread is full of every other religion is tolerated, except if you are Protestant.

I have consistantly said we should be proud of our Protestant/British traditions

Ditto (although I would add in - proud of our scottish traditions as well) We are a 'broad church' after all!

Interesting post, I'm a keen student of the Founders and have never come across this before. Can you provide references as I'd love to read up on this to plug my knowledge gap.

:lol:

Yet again this thread is full of every other religion is tolerated, except if you are Protestant.

I have consistantly said we should be proud of our Protestant/British traditions

Excuse me, time after again you have referred to our dark past. Doesn't sound like you're proud to me.

Sounds like what i said every other religion is tolerated bar being a Protestant.

Are you seriously saying that? You are going to tell me Mojo was our first catholic player? :lol:

TWB

last night it was a dark past, now its a darker side

"more extreme element of our support" is much better (tu)

our club has come under attack because we have no one to defend us and so many people in this country hate everything about the club Rangers FC, i dont think you understand how much these people hate us, they want our club closed down, they want our people gone.

it IS because of the number of bitter tims in the mHedia, they have the platform, they are allowed to write whatever shite they want. I dont buy any papers at all because i was sick of reading negative stories which were blatant lies about our club. I knew who the journos were and i knew what they were all about and what their agenda was. I havnt gave anyone/any paper from the Scottish Mhedia 1 penny since around 1999. If anything the Scottish MHedia have got much worse in last 5 years simply because they know Mr Rangers, former Chairman, his heart is not in the fight and unless he is attacked personally he doesnt care. We are a very easy and soft target.

I dont think our fans have done anything outrageous at all and the club should have been there to back the club and fans to the hilt every time. Murray failed us.

SDM couldnt even keep our clubs balance sheet level, how could he possibly comment on (non football)political and religious matters anyway. Hes already proved he doesnt care about us, he has other problems to deal with(his bigger companies).

(tu)

you see you dont have a clue thats bullshit again another factor is why do rangers play in royle blue ?

Are you for real?

There's a good Rangers Historian issue outlining a number of RCs that played for us. I'll need to dig it out as I can't remember the volume and issue number.

found this list on another forum:

Here's a little list of Roman Catholics to play for Rangers throughout the years. Pat Lafferty played for the club before Celtic were formed. John Spencer, Pat Lafferty, Archie Kyle, "Doc" Kivlichan, Joe Donnachie, Johnny Jackson, Hugh O’Neill, Laurie Blyth, Constantine McGhie, James Tutty, Colin Mainds, Tom Murray, Tom Dunbar, Don Kichenbrand, McCallum, Brown, Wylie

youve said that about 10 times now, you really should stop, we dont have a darker side or dark past

your right people should not use Rangers as a vehicle for religious/political views but i think they are very relevant(these views) in the 21st century, i explain below.

times certainly have changed when British people feel like the outsiders in their own country, thats is very sad and it got worse when Blair was in office, member the guy who became a "kaflik" straight after leaving office, you know the guy, with the wife who made it public she hated the queen and the royal family, her with the massive mooth who visited the vatican on numerous occassions, was it to discuss making Britain more "kaflik"? Or was it to be congradulated that so many "Kafliks" were employed by the British Govt. thanks to her husband? Who knows but there are so many "Kafliks" in high up jobs throughout Britain who would just love us to be a "Kaflik" state. They cant possibly support Presbyterian Gordon Brown or C.O.E. Head, Queen Elizabeth.

bottom line for me is, Religion has NO place in 21st century life at all, if it was upto me, i would close down every church for every religion in the world and tell these people to get in the real world, get a life and live in peace together. The Vaticans remit is totally different, these cunts want world domination and have been trying to destroy Protestantism since we kicked their cunts in during the Reformation! These bastards dont like Jews either, their allies are the terrorists around the world who claim allah tells them to kill people. These cunts should really be locked up and left to rot.

im sure you mean well TWB i just dont like hearing this "our darker side" pish.

sorry for going off topic a bit but all is relevant in this debate

(tu)

You read my VB article fella?? Certainly would like it if you did, its on that very subject!

i think i have, i try to read them all, VB are great, exactly what i was looking for a few years ago when everyone was throwing fucks into the club i love

(tu)

Excuse me, time after again you have referred to our dark past. Doesn't sound like you're proud to me.

Sounds like what i said every other religion is tolerated bar being a Protestant.

that was probably poorly worded from me then, apologies

what I mean is we have a more extreme element to our support

Our Founders were practicing Protestants but had nothing to do with the OO whatsoever. Rangers were founded on the love of football, nothing more. (tu)

well i think you need to read up on Moses and Peter McNeil, Peter Campbell and William McBeath abit more am sorry to say but your wrong too mebe for the love of football yes but they where orangemen too youll not find that fact online but you could find that at orange order hq in belfast were im from.

Our Founders were practicing Protestants but had nothing to do with the OO whatsoever. Rangers were founded on the love of football, nothing more. (tu)

well i think you need to read up on Moses and Peter McNeil, Peter Campbell and William McBeath abit more am sorry to say but your wrong too mebe for the love of football yes but they where orangemen too youll not find that fact online but you could find that at orange order hq in belfast were im from.

The McNeil brothers mother was from Ulster but they were both born in Scotland.

that was probably poorly worded from me then, apologies

what I mean is we have a more extreme element to our support

Apology accepted (tu)

Moses and Peter never set foot outside Scotland aside from the odd match against an English club.

I suggest you read The Gallant Pioneers book and learn your history.