Mark Mcghee

RFC55

Yet Mark McGhee reckons not even the most expensive player in the world would have got the same Parkhead welcome Robbie Keane received.

Aberdeen boss McGhee looked on with pride as he watched Keane unveiled by his old club in front of 5,000 thrilled Hoops fans late on Monday night.

It was McGhee who had the confidence to hand Keane his debut for Wolves as a raw 17-year-old. After watching him make moves totalling more than £70million, McGhee is convinced there's never been a bigger star to grace the Scottish top flight than the on-loan Spurs ace.

He is certain Keane will prove it despite Tuesday's shattering debut defeat to Kilmarnock.

He said: "I know Brian Laudrup and the De Boer brothers were all great players but I don't think any of them could argue, in terms of being a star, they were bigger than Robbie.

"Robbie has been transferred for £70-odd million. He's had an incredible career since he was sold by Wolves to Coventry.

"He went on to Leeds, Inter Milan, Tottenham and Liverpool. If you factor in the career he's had with the Republic of Ireland I don't think there's been any bigger player who's come to Scotland. Henrik Larsson became a big player in Scotland but he wasn't imported here as a marquee player the way Robbie has been.

"There are only a few players who would have got the kind of reception Robbie did. I don't even think Thierry Henry would have got 5,000 people turning up.

"If they had signed Cristiano Ronaldo I don't think there would have been that number - although there might have been if the club had re-signed Henrik Larsson.

"I don't even know if there would have been 5,000 the day Celtic signed Roy Keane. Robbie is the one signing Celtic needed to make to re-engage their fans and to reignite their season.

"They may have lost on Tuesday but he will do that for them."

It was a different experience to what McGhee met on his first day as a Parkhead player back in November 1985, when he ended up as a COFFIN BEARER for ex-Hoops chairman Desmond White.

He said: "The day I signed it was the funeral of the old chairman at Celtic and I was taken straight through to Edinburgh.

"I got there late and was put at the end of the row of players. Then when it came to carrying the coffin I was bumped out the row and ended up carrying the chairman out, who I'd never met before."

McGhee looks at Keane now and sees a person unchanged by the glamour and glitz of being a Premiership star.

He'll never forget the day he handed Keane his top-team debut in 1997 and saw him bag a double against Norwich.

Likewise, Keane has never forgotten the chance given to him by McGhee and he showed it back in 2005.

Keane had scored a spectacular 83rd minute winner which saw Spurs knock McGhee's Brighton out of the FA Cup.

McGhee said: "One of my favourite pieces of footballing memorabilia is the jersey Robbie gave me when we played Tottenham. He scored a fantastic winner although we played really well. They beat us 2-1 very late on and he scored a great goal.

"He gave me his jersey and signed it saying thank you for all your help. Of course I have it framed with other jerseys I've kept throughout my career.

"Robbie is just one of these guys who's kept all his mates from back in Dublin but people also forget he's had had a difficult time during his career.

"He lost his dad when he was young but he's coped with that. He's always had that maturity from an early age.

"At Wolves I knew Robbie was a Celtic and Liverpool supporter. He spoke about both of them but never really about his ambitions to play for Celtic."

McGhee was stunned to hear the result from Rugby Park but believes Keane's four-month spell will have long-term benefits for the Hoops squad as a whole.

He said: "Robbie will enthuse all the others. They'll see him train and working with him they'll realise what an amazing player he is. His energy will rub off on the rest of them. Robbie is a kind of evanescence player, a guy you'd love to play with because he makes goals and also scores them.

"I don't know what happened at Kilmarnock but Robbie will definitely lift the place."

Chris Maguire scored the vital goal that spoiled Keane's debut just 24 hours after McGhee had said he could leave the Dons for a loan spell at Killie until the end of the season.

McGhee said: "Chris was not making a contribution here and what he needed was some sort of fresh impetus or start.

"He has gone to Kilmarnock to get that and it was the right decision because he's made an instant impact. He's scored a goal he hadn't looked like scoring here. If you want to point the finger at me then fine, although I think it's as much about Chris as it is about us.

"Chris has now got a bit of confidence because he's going to play for a manager in Jimmy Calderwood who he knows believes in him. He has benefited from that and got a fantastic result - but make no mistake I am genuinely thrilled for Chris

"I'm delighted and I hope he goes on scoring goals and doing well and then comes back here next season and does it for us."

I fucking hate this rhat with a passion. Hell never get ra shellick job and just goes on and on and on. Ive never known a teams manager to go on about another club like that in all my days. GIRFUY mcghee

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He said: "I know Brian Laudrup and the De Boer brothers were all great players but I don't think any of them could argue, in terms of being a star, they were bigger than Robbie.

Shut up McGhee, you're an absolute embarrassment to football.

thats the bit that made me post mate. Aye that Brian Laudrup guy, nobody from outside Ibrox knew of him and that Gazza guy who was he? Fat fucking taigy prick

Guest SandyWaTp

Headache...

How the fuck the sheep put up with that clown i'll never know. He talks about the tinks more than his own club!

Aye...Robbie Keane, the Spurs reserve and Liverpool failure, is a bigger signing than Paul Gascoigne. <cr>

The only reason that horrible wee T*** cunt has moved for so much money is because he failed in Italy, failed at Liverpool and Leeds were going down the tubes!

:mutley:

It was a different experience to what McGhee met on his first day as a Parkhead player back in November 1985, when he ended up as a COFFIN BEARER for ex-Hoops chairman Desmond White.

That name brings back a special piggery memory for bears of a certain generation.....

:mutley:

That name brings back a special piggery memory for bears of a certain generation.....

care to expand on this manti?

McGee obviously had a memory loss in the mid 90s when Gascoigne joined.

I would argue that the hype and media about his transfer is easily above Keane.

De boer brothers/Laudrup were also firmly established international stars after playing for numerous clubs abroad so I cant see the logic in McGees comments other than to wind us up.

I cannot believe he said that. Whata a fucking idiot. I saw the headline 2day in the Sun. Absolute fucking joke.

McGee obviously had a memory loss in the mid 90s when Gascoigne joined.

I would argue that the hype and media about his transfer is easily above Keane.

De boer brothers/Laudrup were also firmly established international stars after playing for numerous clubs abroad so I cant see the login in McGees comments other than to wind us up.

They have only played with Ajax/Barca, Ac milan and fiorentina tho, clearly they aint no leeds :craphead:

On our first visit to the piggery after his death - the old piggery, with huge terracings and floodlight pylons, a couple of bears climbed up one of the pylons and when they got high enough they unfurled a banner.

'DESMOND WHITE SUCKS COCK IN HELL'.

As you can imagine, the earls found this a tad offensive.....

On our first visit to the piggery after his death - the old piggery, with huge terracings and floodlight pylons, a couple of bears climbed up one of the pylons and when they got high enough they unfurled a banner.

:praise::praise::praise::praise::praise::praise: Imagine this happened now ffs.

:lol:

:praise::praise::praise::praise::praise::praise: Imagine this happened now ffs.

That's the sort of thing older bears mean when we reminisce about the old days......

Let's face it, we can't even imagine it happening these days.

"ronaldo would not have got that welcome, but a returning larsson would have" WHAT A WHANK, utter utter bollocks

10000 at st james park for an unfit Michael Owen

75000 at bernabeu for ronaldo

40000 for benzema at same venue

ronaldinho at milan 20000

beckhams first arrival in milan........tens of thousands

Bitter McGhoo is a wee prick and i hate him with a passion, every bit as much as he hates us

keane is a reject, a sub who captains a 3rd world international team, nothing more